• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PRS set up

Aks72

Hello all. Just coming aboard and wanted to hear your thoughts. Although I regret it, I’ve participated in a local PRS style shoot and now I’m hooked. I am new to AR-10 for long range and am a little concerned my rig will not be sufficient at longer ranges, 800+ yards. My current setup is an Adams Arms P3 18” voodoo barrel with adjustable gas block. A sub Moa and solid at 500 yards using factory Federal premium 168 grn Sierra matchking bthp. Should I be looking at a longer barrel or am I ok and just work on the skills. Also Is there anyone in the San Antonio, Texas area that shoots in the PRS club that’s willing to offer some pointers. Thanks

A0760AC8-5988-4E34-B7FE-7A7446AC21E5.jpeg

31 minutes ago, DNP said:

It's weird, because there's no way that's happening on purpose. 

I tried replicating it on my phone and laptop signed in, signed out, one eye closed, standing on my head, I can not get sent directly to that area

even tried drunk.......

Edited by shepp

11 hours ago, Aks72 said:

Hello all. Just coming aboard and wanted to hear your thoughts. Although I regret it, I’ve participated in a local PRS style shoot and now I’m hooked. I am new to AR-10 for long range and am a little concerned my rig will not be sufficient at longer ranges, 800+ yards. My current setup is an Adams Arms P3 18” voodoo barrel with adjustable gas block. A sub Moa and solid at 500 yards using factory Federal premium 168 grn Sierra matchking bthp. Should I be looking at a longer barrel or am I ok and just work on the skills. Also Is there anyone in the San Antonio, Texas area that shoots in the PRS club that’s willing to offer some pointers. Thanks

Your gun setup is perfectly fine beyond 800 yards, easily.  It'll do it, without working too hard at it.  What the scope on there?  That's the deal that you need to understand, for different targets at different distances - even unknown distances.  Know your optic.

Sorry, I did fail to mention the most important piece. The scope is from a fairly new company called Tract optics. It’s their Response 4-16x42 BDC reticle. HD Schott glass, a solid optic. I am looking to upgrade to their Toric 4-20x50 30mm only because of more range in election adjustment.  I would highly recommend a look. Thanks for your replies. I’ll give it a go with a little more confidence. 

I’d invest in a scope mount that was designed for that kind of range too. Perhaps a 20 or 30 MOA mount, so you’re not maxing out your adjustments. 

I agree with Matt about switching to 175gr for that longer shot. 

No reason why you wouldn’t be able to hang out with all the rest of the .308 shooters with that beast. 

• 3 weeks later...