• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Non AR15 5.56 rifles?

JF89

I have a Remington 700 and a Ruger American, both in .223 cal. I’d say (based on my skill level) that neither one is significantly more accurate than the other. My RA is about 2 lbs lighter though, so it gets a lot more attention. 

Mid I remember correct, my 700 likes <55gr and the RA likes >55gr. I think the 700 is a 1:12 and the RA is 1:8. 

I also don’t feel guilty for shooting Mil ammo through the much less expensive RA. 

8 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

My Ruger GSR .308 is my favorite rifle to shoot. Even more so when I can steal @Rsquared‘s AAC suppressor to play with. 

What makes you like the GSR so much?

1911s and a GSR, you must be a Jeff Cooper fan lol

8 hours ago, JF89 said:

What makes you like the GSR so much?

1911s and a GSR, you must be a Jeff Cooper fan lol

I’ve always been a fan of the M77 action. To be honest, if the Mossberg MVP existed at the time, I probably would’ve bought that instead. Just because I already had at least twenty LR-20 mags. 

I bought my GSR from a friend for $550, who gave me a 6.8SPC barrel, which I sold for $250. He also gave me 10 AICS mags, all full of Hornady ammo, and a Nikon 2x scope. The mags + ammo were worth that price by themselves. 

Since then, I’ve dumped a bunch more money into it. I justify the extras based on how much the rifle actually cost me. 

Mossberg MVP in 5.56 chamber,18" fluted barrel, non-threaded.  Runs AR mags.  Put a fixed 3x Nikon BDC scope on it.  Love that light little bastard.  I can't find the thread I did on it, but SureFire 60s fit in it...   :laffs:

I found 2 pics - I'll keep looking for the whole thread...

image.thumb.png.356ed34fa15a0bd510bc5ce625d4ddab.png

image.thumb.png.87ef32c0adb18925a6677a9f80ef1de8.png

Edited by 98Z5V

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Mossberg MVP in 5.56 chamber,18" fluted barrel, non-threaded.  Runs AR mags.  Put a fixed 3x Nikon BDC scope on it.  Love that light little bastard.  I can't find the thread I did on it, but SureFire 60s fit in it...   :laffs:

I found 2 pics - I'll keep looking for the whole thread...

image.thumb.png.356ed34fa15a0bd510bc5ce625d4ddab.png

image.thumb.png.87ef32c0adb18925a6677a9f80ef1de8.png

That is a purty rifle. How does she shoot compared to an AR?

I loved my Mini-14 for a decade (and would still own another one), then a buddy finally talked me out of it.

Used the cash to fund another AR build...

On an unrelated note, I have looked pretty hard at that Mossberg MVP "Predator Rifle" in .308. Put a forward Pic rail on it and a Burris 2-7x32 Scout scope, and I think it'd be a neat, lightweight .308 rifle. Note: I know Mossberg makes a .308 "Scout Rifle," but I appreciate the simplicity (and aesthetics...) of optics-only. And I love laminate stocks.

11 hours ago, JF89 said:

That is a purty rifle. How does she shoot compared to an AR?

Like a bolt gun...   :laffs:

What I like about it is simple - you find a bolt gun in .223 Rem/5.56 NATO - and it's chambered in .223 Rem.  Look at the Remington 700 options in .223 Rem...   Don't shoot 5.56 NATO through that thing for a long time, or it's GONNA blow. That's not internet-hysteria, there.  It'll happen, over time.

This is chambered in 5.56 NATO - shoot what you want.  It takes AR mags, and runs every kind of AR mag I've tried, including a SureFire 60 (Because...).  Mag-fed bolt guns give me a boner.  I have alot of bolt guns, and only 4 aren't mag-fed. 8mm Mauser, Springfield M1903A4, a single-shot .22LR bolt I inherited from my Grandfather, and an original Kimber .308 bolt gun (made in Clackamas, OR).  The rest are mag-fed, even another Savage FV-SR .22LR bolt. 

What I don't like...  it's 1:9" rifling.  Okay, so deal with that. What will it do, and what can it shoot?  It'll shoot my Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT range-trash handloads under MOA.  Hornady 52gr Match and 55gr GMX shoot at .75 MOA.  So, know the limitations of your rifle... What can I accurately shoot with that light ammo?  Not my favorite 845-yard target.  I can get them to 500 yards accurately, and within 300, they rock.  So, that leads to what optic to put on such a gun?  Fixed 3x Nikon P-223, with a BDC to 600 yards.  Perfect for this gun, barrel twist, and available projectiles.  I love it, for what I set it up for.   :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

You fellas got some nice guns!

I have some nice Cactus, too - I need to get a collective pic together of all cactus I have... I collect them...  :thumbup:  Just like the guns, some of them will fuk shiit up, others just give you a leak...  :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I have some nice Cactus, too - I need to get a collective pic together of all cactus I have... I collect them...  :thumbup:  Just like the guns, some of them will fuk shiit up, others just give you a leak...  :laffs:

My fondest memories of the cactus was about 37 years ago. I got a rather LARGE needle approximately 1 1/2" long gored completely side to side through my finger! My "genius" dad "attempting to remove it with needle nose pliers, UNSUCCESSFULLY , he busted the ends off both sides & off to the hospital we went to have it cut out..somewhere I still have the little vial that doc gave me as a souvenir full of the bloody pieces he extracted.

1 minute ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

My fondest memories of the cactus was about 37 years ago. I got a rather LARGE needle approximately 1 1/2" long gored completely side to side through my finger! My "genius" dad "attempting to remove it with needle nose pliers, UNSUCCESSFULLY , he busted the ends off both sides & off to the hospital we went to have it cut out..somewhere I still have the little vial that doc gave me as a souvenir full of the bloody pieces he extracted.

If that fucker was a Saguaro cactus - those needles NEVER soften, no matter how long they're in you...   They are the DEBIL!

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

f**k cactus, I hate those little bastards but the ones up here do not look anything like the ones in that pic.

Edited by JF89