• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sunday Funday, range time 10 Feb 19

98Z5V

What an interesting day today!  Wow!!!  For a shooting day, it just about couldn't get any better, and it was a very successful day.  I went out today primarily to fire up the Mod H Grendel - and MAN!  Did that thing PERFORM!  It's a laser.

Here are the two primary culprits of my time today:

P1060945.thumb.JPG.4670cd45e85a3339672d51642e996ead.JPG

Set out a paper zero target at 100 yards, and re-zeroed the scope on the little one - I raided that scope from the 25/45, for the time being.  It's permanent optic I can't get yet.  Shiit, that's a barrel that you can't get yet, either.  After using 12 rounds to re-zero the scope, I put it on the steel at 100 yards - the Grendel impacts are all the ones in the target's mouth...   That's "zero confirmation" if I've ever seen it...  :laffs:

P1060931.thumb.JPG.0cab71e9dbf68ab422dd5b320d247153.JPG

So, enough of the shenanigans - lets let a target out there at some decent distance.  My buddy from work came down today, and MikeDaddy was there, too.  At the start, it was just us 3.  So, my buddy from work jumps in the Nissan with me, and we go out driving towards the hills - and a funny thing happens on the way to the target destination...   We see what looks good, and turn uphill to a spot that will get the target above the vegetation line.  I shut it off, and as soon as my buddy opens the passenger door, we hear, "PSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"  Fuk, right rear tire.  Nothing we could do there, so we emplaced the target, and drove it back to the shoot site flat as hell.  Get back, and get the donut on the truck, and this is what we find on the sidewall of the tire...

P1060936.thumb.JPG.758a404928a9f6926031c43efb0ff051.JPG

P1060937.thumb.JPG.602128ab1543dc2797c7ec6673bdc25d.JPG

No plugging that thing.  Donut time.

P1060938.thumb.JPG.ef65375b36d19e855a57e5518a4bed9b.JPG

So, enough of the messing around - lay down and mil that 18" wide target out...   and it's exactly 1 mil wide in the scope.  500 yards, on the money.  Right on, let's get this Mod H Grendel fired up now. 

P1060939.thumb.JPG.32037646a7c5e4c7a947d0ad740df0e6.JPG

I made a preliminary dope sheet/drop chart for this barrel length, and estimated velocity.  I knew I was about 3.8 mils of drop at 500 yards, so I fired two, just holding about 3 3/4 mils.  I didn't really see the first impact, but I heard it.  I fired the next one, THEN I could see the two of them, down about the bottom of the target.  I adjusted my hold a little up, maintained it for the next 9 rounds.  I missed one of them, but had 8 solid impacts, going shot after shot as soon as the gun would settle, and the sights were back on.  It went quick.  I went down to look at the target before we continued marking it up.  I was pleasantly surprised at what I walked up to.

P1060933.thumb.JPG.aa3476b25e484c85486b49a2347b13ea.JPG

You can see those first two down there, then I adjusted my hold a little up.  That, men, right there, is a <7" wide by <5" high group of 8 impacts, at 500 yards, on a brand new barrel that doesn't even have 50 rounds through it. 

P1060934.thumb.JPG.932be5f1921c9c95677ac171768a1957.JPG

P1060935.thumb.JPG.60b1ecca16004dc94a1638dc1bf2dabc.JPG

I think I'll keep this barrel...   :lmao:

After that, I dialed in 3.7 mils of drop, took my time, and used the crosshairs in the scope holding dead centermass, and it was wonderful.  By this time, my Gun Pusher and two more local friends showed up, and we were all shooting the 500.

This was one of the other friends that came out - he said he brought out a couple .308s, couple 5.56 guns, and "something else..."  That "something else" was a .50 BMG bolt gun...  

P1060944.thumb.JPG.a90400f94e01aad0efaac454b747e425.JPG

Here's the vid of it - watch that .308 brass on the empty shooting mat to the right of him...   :banana::laffs:

We stayed out there until about 5 or 5:30, and I recovered that 500 yard target on the way out.  I'm driving back out on the blacktop roads, and I have to keep the wheel turned a little to the left, because that tiny donut was on the right rear, and the truck was pushing to the right - countersteering a little.  Then all the sudden, I need to countersteer more, and more, then FLAP FLAP FLAP FLAP...   Fuk.  Blew out the right FRONT tire!!!  Yep, 2 flats in one trip, first time that place has ever given me flat tires.  Oh, yeah - ONE SPARE DONUT, and no more.  I literally just got all the stuff back in the house, sat down, and starting this thread.  4 hours later, after the blowout.

Todd (.50 BMG brother) stayed with me, my Gun Pusher liberated a spare Nissan wheel from a neighbor, and brought it out - bolt pattern was right, but it was from an Armada, with 265 tires on an 18" wheel - WAY too big to fit in the wheelwell.  We crossed all my gear over into the Gun Pusher's bigass Ford, we to his house for dinner, then he brought all my shiit home.  The Nissan is still out there - made it to the Res, though, and let one of the cops there know about it...

I'll try to rescue that thing tomorrow...  I'm fucking TIRED...   Enjoy your evening here, kick back and relax, and remember to tip your server...   :thumbup:

12 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

So what do you think you have in that .260 upper brother?

Let's add that thing up real quick, brother.

The Aero M5 upper, lower and 15" rail I got from the Gun Pusher for $350.  LaRue LT158 mount was $160. Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 mil scope was $365.  WC 20" .260 barrel was $280 on a sale.  Aero NIB BCG was $150 from the Gun Pusher.  Some $20 lo-pro steel gas block that Primary Arms had on sale, and the Armalite AR-10 rifle gas tube was $14.  That's about it, right there, in the upper.  The VG6 6.5 brake and timing nut came from @Merle here, for $50.  I had a BCM charging handle, small latch,in the parts box.  That'll come out and get replaced with a Strike Industries 308 Extended Latch, so another $45 on that.    $1,434 in the .260 Rem upper, complete, but that counts the cost of the lower, too, at the time. Maybe drop $150 out of there for the M5 lower?

Recovered the Nissan tonight after work - Gun Pusher John saved me.  I had to go help him pack up the shop for the night first, though.  :laffs:

Took one of wheels/destroyed tires to work today, dropped it off at Big O Tires at lunch, picked it up after work.  I'll get a pic of the remaining destroyed (front) tire tomorrow.  It's gruesome.   :banana:

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:30 PM, unforgiven said:

Last Rues .260 kit was about $ 1300.00. Persision  about $1800.00. You did real good with hand picked parts brother.?

When I first started my .260 build, I thought it was going to cost me around $1600 in parts... well it has cost me a few years, but I will be easily under $1000 minus optic

10 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

When I first started my .260 build, I thought it was going to cost me around $1600 in parts... well it has cost me a few years, but I will be easily under $1000 minus optic

That's where you'll get fucked...   :lmao:  Mount, too...   :banana:

You better get a good mount, with some MOA built into it - because the round will outpace the internal adjustments on most scopes out there...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

14 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

I knew I was in trouble when I found out it is M5 compatible.

Hold on to that for a minute - wait a minute...   I just saw this pic on the "Ultimate Upper" link on the LaRue site:

image.thumb.png.86e7f482c986f27f3f95eeaaf1a59db8.png

That's an Armalite cut at the back of that.  We need @edgecrusher to confirm this on his original OBR...  

That's not gonna work on the M5, brother.

(I have better news later, though)  :thumbup:

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Hold on to that for a minute - wait a minute...   I just saw this pic on the "Ultimate Upper" link on the LaRue site:

image.thumb.png.86e7f482c986f27f3f95eeaaf1a59db8.png

That's an Armalite cut at the back of that.  We need @edgecrusher to confirm this on his original OBR...  

That's not gonna work on the M5, brother.

(I have better news later, though)  :thumbup:

True story, Armalite cut on OBR

Tom,looks like a good day all in all.

People around here look at me like I'm an alien when I mention Grendel.

I always knew in my heart that it's a great intermediate round.

BTW stay outa the rocks they're murder on the sidewalls.

I'm like the guy that has never had a flat then goes out, gets new tires then immediately picks up a screw or a nail and remains pissed off for the next 40,000 miles

Edited by Ravenworks