• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A Bench Pig

jtallen83

And I use the term pig in a loving way, bless her heart. Started the build because the BA 20 in. match barrel (.936 at the block) came real cheap from a guy that decided it was too heavy for his daughter to hunt with :laffs:

Had the Matrix receiver set from Primary Arms hanging around since it didn't play well with an Aero rail. Cerakoted it tactical grey before I knew it wouldn't work so the color theme for this build was chosen. This rail is a Wilson Combat with some sort of special coating that gives it a dark silver look. Very solid rail, WC is blowing out this style so some bargains to be had there. The Magpul grey stock matched the tone of the build, much sturdier than I anticipated. The Magpul K+2 grip doesn't match the grey stock well for being the same makers.

Used a Brownell's BCG, super stiff and just barely let the go gauge chamber. The muzzle device was blended into the barrel nicely. Not sure what I think of the linear comp but that may need to change for an AAC 51T. Used a Tubbs spring in the Aero rifle recoil kit. Used an Aero LPK and of course a LaRue MBT trigger.

The pig was past the 14 pound mark before I put the AADMOUNT scope mount and Bushnell XRS 4.5x30, now it's a top heavy pig!

Ran 30 rounds, 20 Federal M80 and 10 FGMM 168's on the target, only a three round group as this was mainly a functions check and a zero the scope kinda trip. Had a few failure to fire, bolt was just a little short, the trigger went but the round didn't. Only happened with the M80 and then only when putting three or more in the magazine. I'm thinking a few more rounds to find it's glide path and the BCG will drive them home in that tight chamber. It was super easy on the brass, no dents or serious scratches and it put them in a sweet little pile at 4 O'Clock. I'm liking the extra speed gained on follow up shots, all that weight plants the rifle pretty good. 

IMG_1364.thumb.jpg.e183b7a24285f07868928cfd4646ed06.jpgIMG_1363.thumb.jpg.0cab0fc93b8475d6baf66bb875274ab3.jpgIMG_1368.thumb.JPG.6073fed75799a1f121915d2963660b75.JPGIMG_1371.thumb.jpg.8ee4e777f86eafa3f3854c732522b9aa.jpgIMG_1361.thumb.jpg.6f3076c9b675b6b2d193d876e5fcd320.jpg

42 minutes ago, Lane said:

I might be in the market for one of these .936" gas blocks down the road... Did that one come with the barrel deal?

That is a nice looking rifle! 

For curiousity's sake, why are you looking for this?  I just wanna know what appeals to you, about it, and why?...

18 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Those WC rails are solid. I've got one on one of my SBR builds. If the rifle goes click, you can beat them with the rail.

Cheap right now as well;

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/TRIM-Tactical-Rail-Interface-Modular-DPMS-12/productinfo/TR-TRIM-AR-10-D-12/

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/TRIM-Tactical-Rail-Interface-Modular-AR-10-ArmaLite-12/productinfo/TR-TRIM-AR-10-A-12/

51 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

No eardrum busting noise like a brake.

If it didn't shoot so nice it would get an AAC 51T brake for the SDN-6 suppressor and become really quiet. Not sure I want to change a thing now, the brake really did help with the noise level at the shooter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it better be Sub MOA 🤣 I have to order some uppers but the hand guard I’m still debating if I wanna order one or make my own? But yes it’s fairly heavy before I fluted it the barrel weighed 7 lbs on the dot and after its 4.5 lbs. I will have to get some creedmoor ammo as i only have 260 rem right now. Originally made this for a friend but he has since decided he didn’t want to build an AR 10 variant anymore. So most likely I will just sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

Only shot one nine round group with this rifle my last trip home, didn't have what I thought I did for ammo on the range trip. She did well for a pig with an ebay barrel, 9 shots at just over an inch, take away the flyer and it gets tight, at least for me. If it will do this a few more times in different weather conditions then this one is a done deal, won't even add a 51T for the suppressors so I don't mess anything up. May just get some half MOA out of this one when I see what she likes for ammo, only shot groups with 168 FGMM so far.

IMG_1518.thumb.jpg.15d559f628731136e0682d48fecfd2f8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The rifle continues to throw one out of 10, Granddaughter shot this 10 round group at 100 yards. She called the flyer on the spot, haven't had her on the range for nearly a year and this was her first 10 shots with this particular rifle so not bad at all! The girl can shoot and she's smart!

IMG_1690.thumb.JPG.0eba9bf0c0ce542141fe89d9b071f06c.JPGIMG_1684.thumb.JPG.a070d37e106326032e7871fdc89ec38b.JPG1293804962_thumbnail_IMG_1683(2).thumb.jpg.7ce1fd1b7daac8734a88b2109ed2d692.jpg