• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello from Florida

Exhail

Hello all. Brand new here and wanted to say hi. I'm a beginner to firearms, as I am not a military or law enforcement dude. I got into this as a hobby. I picked the AR10 platform for long distance competition. I don't expect to do great for a while, as I have a lot to learn. That's why I like this hobby, because to really learn to shoot takes a lot of research and practice. So, plenty of things to keep me busy. This is my newly purchased AR10.

Its the PA10 from Palmetto State Armory. It's their lightweight MOE model. I have done a few upgrades. Like a Geissele High speed match trigger. It's second stage is 14 ounces. JP industries compensator. Hogue grip. Law Tactical folding stock. Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP optic with PA 30mm rings to match. Ozark offset iron sights. I cant give a educated review, because this is all very new to me. But I will say that what I built is a good value rifle, which was very affordable, and of decent quality.

Thank you for allowing me to be here. I am here hear to learn, and have fun.

Thanks

20190626_162955[229].jpg

34 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Welcome from Texas!

If you are new to shooting, it might be more cost effective to get the basics down by using a 22LR instead of 308.  The fundamentals will translate to your 308.

My parents live in Texas. Plenty of places to shoot there 😃

I appreciate the shooting tip. 22LR is a lot of fun. Perhaps I should look into getting one. I recently joined a great range. It has every style of competition available. They have a 1200 yard range. I'll be taking advantage of all the courses they offer, from cc, to force on force training. They offer a long range course also. That course will be money well spent. I'll get lots of professional training there. I'm definitely looking forward to it. 

23 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Welcome from Ky.  As suggested above a 22 is a good caliber to learn marksmanship on and a lot cheaper to feed . Have fun.

Thanks! 

I thought about buying another AR15 for practice costs. But that's a whole other headache setting that all up. 

I just bought some 147 grain from Brownells for .45 cents a round which isn't too bad. For this year I'll mainly be paying attention to what heat does to the performance of the round. It's very hot here, but also very humid. Knowing what these 2 factors, along with gun and ammo temperatures are massively important at long range. I'll shoot this batch off, monitoring temperature, to see with my own eyes how heat flattens my shot, and what temperature the flattening happens at. I'm just going to take my time, and focus on the science of it all. 

Edited by Exhail
Error

1 hour ago, RedRiverII said:

Welcome from Florida.  which range are you talking about.  1200 yds,  NICE!!!

Volusia County Gun Club, close to New Smyrna Beach.  My new home away from home. Since I gave up drinking, bars just don't interest me anymore. Gotta have some place to hang out.

45 minutes ago, Exhail said:

Volusia County Gun Club, close to New Smyrna Beach.  My new home away from home. Since I gave up drinking, bars just don't interest me anymore. Gotta have some place to hang out.

As you read the archives you will pick up that distance usually will mean heavier bullets.. 1200 will be tough for a 308 with any bullet. But get comfortable with that PA10 with the 147’s. Then worry about that.

4 hours ago, Sisco said:

As you read the archives you will pick up that distance usually will mean heavier bullets.. 1200 will be tough for a 308 with any bullet. But get comfortable with that PA10 with the 147’s. Then worry about that.

Thanks for the heads up! 

I'm so thankful for the internet. It's so easy to look this stuff up. 

Ya, I'm going to practice inside 500 yards with the 147s. I realize with a 1 and 10 twist, my rifle prefers 170s. I'm going to look into reloading, so that at least my ammo is consistent. I figured just get some cheap stuff to get familiar with the mechanics of my optics and learn the grid.

No bars equals Mo money.  Good for you.  I gave Vikings drinking lessons at one time.  Volusia is another hour North of Port Malabar Rifle & PC,  we have a 600.  In any event that's good news.  I have some friends who had to qualify @ 1000 with a 16 so...  I glad to know there is a 1200 closer to me than I had previously known,  thanks.

4 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

No bars equals Mo money.  Good for you.  I gave Vikings drinking lessons at one time.  Volusia is another hour North of Port Malabar Rifle & PC,  we have a 600.  In any event that's good news.  I have some friends who had to qualify @ 1000 with a 16 so...  I glad to know there is a 1200 closer to me than I had previously known,  thanks.

Ya, now I need to quit smoking, to afford ammo lol. 

Ya, that club has a great range with 3 gun competition, and every other type of competition. And a ton of classes for training. I'm going to take their long range class. It should help speed up the learning process. Once I kinda get the feel of things, I'm going to jump right into long range competition. If I'm spending all this money on equipment, mind as well. Plus I'll meet others who can give me tips. I like this club, because even if I'm not shooting that day, I can spectate a 3 gun match, or whatever. A cool place to hang out, and see some good shootin.

On 7/6/2019 at 11:35 PM, Inet said:

Welcome from Michigan. That LAW folder is a handy option, I have one on my 300 blackout shorty.

I haven't shot my rifle yet. I'm pretty optimistic, as PSA has gotten better. The buffer springs on the AR10 are kinda picky. I'm hoping the folder works because I really like it. I wish they made the "Dolos" removable barrel, to keep things more compact. But these AR10 makers have yet to get on the same page.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:25 PM, Sisco said:

I found out that this gun club has a 2,000 yard range. And they will let you hunt hog on their land. They will keep me entertained for years 😃