• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rotary tool

RedRiverII

Which rotary tool would you buy for your home shop now that you have some experience?  Among many tools I gave away before my retirement move to Florida was a Dremel set up. It was an OK tool but sort of delicate.  It could be me but it was on the flimsy side of things.  Perhaps light and delicate is the way to go for some,  but I prefer to cut something when it needs cutting and not nurse it into shape.  I've seen the Foredom line but that is for pro's and wondered if there is some middle ground product I'm unaware of.  I am trimming a latch for the screen door and all I could find is a German set of jewelry files and I'm about half nuts already.  Ready to hit the $300 dollar button but will wait for some answers here first.  Thank you in advance.

I'll strictly use this tool for gunsmithing and shaping DIY kits that are anything but easy.  Small part prepping.  Larger tasks sheetrock and carpentry I have pro tools for all that jazz.  I was in costruction for forty years.  It's this small stuff that is troublesome.  Thank you.

I've been wrenching for money since 2007, after getting out of the Army.  In the past 3 or 4 years, I've been converting all my power tools over to Milwaukee tools.  Most of them have a 5yr tool warranty, and 3yr battery warranty, and they're tough. When my two corded Dremels die, I'm moving to this one right here:

MIlwaukee M2460-21

The "21" at the end is the kit, with battery and charger and case.  Don't get the "20" at the end, it's just the tool, no battery, no charger, etc.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Specialty-Tools/Rotary-Tools/2460-21

The best thing I've ever done was 2 years ago, for soldering wires and connections - I moved to this tool right here.  No more dragging extension cords around, in and out of vehicles, cords getting caught.  No more. This thing is BAD!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Specialty-Tools/Heating-Tools/2488-21

So, that's my recommendation, man.  I'm basing it on what I've been doing now over the last several years.  Migrating all my power tools over to Milwaukee.  I use most of them every day, all day long.  Haven't had to turn any of them back in to Milwaukee for any warranty work or replacement yet, either.   :thumbup:

EDIT - I found that kit I recommended above for you online, anywhere between $99 and $119 - and much higher at other places. Deals are out there.  

Edited by 98Z5V

Thank you.  Milwaukee is the brand of choice for most of us construction guys.  My partner for the last several years was a woman so don't break balls over my use of the language as I see fit.  She was one of the guys.  Milwaukee sawzalls, reciprocating saws,  are the best all around power tools.  If one were to frame in a house and drill holes for pipe hand's down the Porter Cable with 8 amps would be my choice.  Milwaukee good,  Porter Cable double bueno.  I sold my tools to save on weight from shipping to Fla.  Bad choice in my view,  the Mrs. was delighted.  Don't please mention fishing equipment.  I need to get rid of all the crap stuff I have and buy new once more.  What do I mean.  I have bits and pieces of screw driver sets and sockets.  Drives me wild finding a 5/16ths socket driver.  Anyway I need good tools.  A set of screw driver driven multi set,  y'know torx,  square,  Phillips,  flat.  I had one set that was amazing,  gone with the move.  Luckily I have most of the receiver tools we need to keep the Flying Domingo Brothers parts form taking flight under pressure.  Take down pins for instance,  lovely teeny weeny parts that want to fly away.  Any home shop tools of good standing and quality I need.  Recommendations are gladly accepted.  Off to visit Milwaukee,  the tool company,  not the town.  I visited Milwaukee in my Navy days.  Thank God the cop gave me a break,  I wasn't tired from playing tennis,  we both knew I had too much beer.

Edited by RedRiverII
sp

My folks were not mechanics in any sense of the word.  we had a pair of pliers,  a hammer and one or two screwdrivers.  Stripped nuts and curse words went hand in hand and I thought that was the way it was supposed to be.  I tried once to fix a door handle with the family ??? toolbox???  when I was a teenager,  and discovered why curse words were so important when fixing things.  All that these' tools' accomplished was to create stress and relieve stress from cursing.  I was lucky to get the door handle back to it's broken condition.  Then I saw Alan Alda on * MASH * do his routine on the opposable thumb.  Of course this allowed us and our ancestors to become tool users.  I had one contractor friend, flush with the spirit of three beers, exclaim that hands were the greatest tool the good Lord ever created.  I told him of my 4 tool house and within 3 more beers we were in his truck looking over a treasure trove of miraculous thigamajigs.  The first time I held back a bolt with a pair of pump pliers I was hooked.  I have just returned from Home Depot and bought some decent files,  and a set of ratchet screwdriver bits.  I'm throwing out the loose and crappy leftover pieces.  HD had no Milwaukee Rotary kit.  I'll order one on-line.  

1 hour ago, RedRiverII said:

when I was a teenager,  and discovered why curse words were so important when fixing things.  All that these' tools' accomplished was to create stress and relieve stress from cursing.

Always love Milwaukee tools, older Porter Cable are the only drills I have seen come close to them. Besides cursing I always believed in a good swift kick, when someone can't get something working on the jobsite my first question is always, "Did you kick it?"

38 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Besides cursing I always believed in a good swift kick, when someone can't get something working on the jobsite my first question is always, "Did you kick it?"

That kick, and the "3 Inch Drop Test."   :thumbup::lmao:

Not sure why you think the Dremel Tool is delicate , I use one for just about anything needed for light Gunsmithing , I have the complete kit with the small head attachment with cable drive & works great for getting into small areas the Dremel tool itself won't fit in . I do have a compound table on my Drill Press ,if I need it for something needing a bit more taken off . Not a Milling Machine , but it works pretty good for my needs now a days .I want a small bench Mill , but I may be moving next year & dont need any more $hit to move , especially something that heavy .

Freedom line is nice also , as is Roto Zip .

I had a difficult time not ordering the Foredom,  especially the electric line.  No vibration at all,  well minimum vibration.  I did get the Milwaukee after fretting over the Dremel.  

I reserve the effinWhore' name calling for the last resort,  often times a prelude to the " Hey wanna go fishing Fredo? " line.

14 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

A great place to get bits for your dremel or die grinder is your dentist. They throw them out after a certain amount of time but still plenty sharp enough for us 

I got a lot of dental burrs from a dentist friend, they have a smaller shaft than a standard Dremel tool chuck.

20 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Not sure why you think the Dremel Tool is delicate , I use one for just about anything needed for light Gunsmithing , I have the complete kit with the small head attachment with cable drive & works great for getting into small areas the Dremel tool itself won't fit in . I do have a compound table on my Drill Press ,if I need it for something needing a bit more taken off . Not a Milling Machine , but it works pretty good for my needs now a days .I want a small bench Mill , but I may be moving next year & dont need any more $hit to move , especially something that heavy .

Freedom line is nice also , as is Roto Zip .

I have and used several Dremel tools in my gun shop. I have a dremel drill press, and a couple of Rt. angle drives they are a most used tool for me. I put several Dremel cut off discs stacked together to cut sight dove tail square bottom slots using the Dremel drill press often with a Rt. angle drive while holding the barrel in a vise, and then do the taper with a small 3 corner file,  with one smooth side.  Just be careful and go slow, measuring  and checking the fit of the sight often.  I use a Roto Zip to cut outlet holes in metal siding, sheetrock and paneling for outlets  and switches.  Living out in the boonies folks have to do most of their electrical, and plumbing projects. The Roto Zip is also handy in the gun shop, a tad more powerful than a Dremel.  A gunsmith must have several sets of good quality  metal files. I also like the diamond grit files and rotary cutting bits.

I have always wished I had a Smithy Granite 3 in one,  Turn, drill, and mill machine but have always found a way to do a lot of jobs without one.  Now I think I am too old to get into that, seems there would be too much I need to learn.

Edited by mrmackc

On 7/24/2019 at 1:30 PM, survivalshop said:

Not sure why you think the Dremel Tool is delicate , I use one for just about anything needed for light Gunsmithing

I think they're great, love my Dremels.   I have one with a bent shaft now, and it's a pain in the ass most of the time, so it's almost ready to be an organ donor to keep the other one alive for longer.

What I've found nice about the Milwaukee soldering iron that I have - I'm not dragging cords anymore.  I'm free of that now.  That's why my next rotary tool will be that one I linked above.  :thumbup:

@survivalshop  "Not sure why you think the Dremel Tool is delicate"  Just my opinion,  I have had a few and given them away.  I'm not disparaging them in the least.  If you like them go for it.  I received the Milwaukee yesterday and I'll judge it when I get a chance.  Cordless is the way to go,  and I fought that idea for years.  I'll need to get another battery for mine.  It's got some heft to it,  I just hope the bits have some durability,  might have to visit my dentist.  For fine work I may want a smaller barrel,  I smell a Foredom electric in my future.  Right now my needs of a rotary tool are small for gunsmithing,  but large for home repairs.

16 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

@survivalshop  "Not sure why you think the Dremel Tool is delicate"  Just my opinion,  I have had a few and given them away.  I'm not disparaging them in the least.  If you like them go for it.  I received the Milwaukee yesterday and I'll judge it when I get a chance.  Cordless is the way to go,  and I fought that idea for years.  I'll need to get another battery for mine.  It's got some heft to it,  I just hope the bits have some durability,  might have to visit my dentist.  For fine work I may want a smaller barrel,  I smell a Foredom electric in my future.  Right now my needs of a rotary tool are small for gunsmithing,  but large for home repairs.

If that Milwaukee doesn't work out for you - I'll buy it from you. I'll eventually have one anyway. Lemme know what you had to pay for it, and I'll give you that, so you're not out anything.   :thumbup:

If you could get an extended Flexible shaft with the small head for tight work would be nice . Its why I don't mind Electric vs Battery , with the Flexible extension with its small head , I'm about 3 feet from the actual Motor that drives the Extension . Mine came in a Kit with a whole bunch of Attachments & you can hang the Dremel & use the Flex Shaft just like the Freedom models . https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/tools/225-01-flex-shaft-attachment

I use my Dremel a lot , I used to cut all my Brass to make 300BLK cases when I first stared shooting an AR in 300BLK . I use more reinforced Cut Off Wheels , then any other tooling with it . I'm just not sold on Battery operated in this case, of course in the field is different .

Edited by survivalshop

I hadn't thought of that, @survivalshop.  The extension with the flex and smaller barrel.  Thank you.  @98Z5V  I'll keep your generous offer in mind.  I started out using a Milwaukee sawzall many years ago.  I am among the best in the world using that saw.  No joke,  just fact.  Cutting 4" pipe up in drop ceilings with only a trouble light,  laying upside down, in hundred degree heat.  Cutting straight enough to attach the repair clamps,  and trueing it,  for repair, is quite a feat. I had a friend ' Helicopter ___,  die early one morning and it's how I got the saw.  Short version,  I kept that sawzall for the next 25 years,  changed the brushes,  several boots,  guide arms and grease twice.  If this Milwaukee rotary tool is even half the value of that saw,  I'll leave it to you in my will.  I've read a lot of this site,  not as much as others perhaps,  but quite a bit.  I know your word is good. 

The value of the Foredom model,  the electric bench one that sits on the counter top and sells for 5 hundred,  is it's lack of vibration.  It is the gold standard of rotary tools.  I haven't,  in the least,  have had the experience with my hands to appreciate that kind of value.  The lack of a cable drive,  which is the troublesome part,  is dismissed altogether.  A much smoother drive,  combined with experienced hands,  can be raised to an art form.  I thought of you cutting brass down to size is the same as cutting 4" pipe,  the tool simply supplants your hands.  You gotta have the 'touch'.  I am sadly lacking 'hand smarts' with small pipe ( 7.62 brass )  at this point. Thanks for the info guys.

Edited by RedRiverII

4 hours ago, survivalshop said:

If you could get an extended Flexible shaft with the small head for tight work would be nice . Its why I don't mind Electric vs Battery , with the Flexible extension with its small head , I'm about 3 feet from the actual Motor that drives the Extension .

I have that kit for my Dremels, and port cylinder heads with it, at home, on a bench - but it doesn't help me a bit when I have to climb into, around, and contort myself to - whatever vehicle I'm working on/in.  Cordless/battery - and zero cords attached to my tools - gives me more freedom that you can even imagine, in those situations, and my work environment...   :thumbup:

That's my $0.02 and why...  

I have 3 cordless Dremel tools. They come up with a new improved model every once in a while my newest rechargeable is best but it does not have a removable battery,  so it is out of service while being r recharged

My other ones have extra batteries

so you can change (mags ie..  batteries) an keep on grinding.