• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

need opinions on 6.5 Creedmoor barrel lenght

Magwa

I have not built anything in awhile time to step up so I am thinking a upper in 6.5 for my LR308 so my local GS has a blimished 22 inch  stainless barrel I can get a great deal on so how much velocity am I going to loose or should I just look for a 24>?

That 22" will be perfect.  You should still be supersonic at 1500 yards with a heavy projectile (147gr). My 147s in the .260 are still supersonic at 1500, with a 20" barrel.  Run that blem'd barrel, brother, as long as the blem is only cosmetic.   :thumbup:

thank you one and all and yes 98 it is fine to post in a 6.5 CR, thread and shoot a 260 rem, that is another fine cartridge.. I shoot my RPR in 6.5 with a 26 inch barrel plus can my load is a 140 eld with 43grains of H4350 at 2810 at the muzzle it shoots one hole groups so I am intrigued to shoot my trusted LR308 with the same load....ok I am on the parts hunt will get that barrel it is a Areo Precision good bad ? I am working on getting a other bolt gun in 6.5 PRC......

I'm not that picky on the lengths,  but I've read somewhere 21.75" is the ideal length.  It could have been written by someone stocking 21.75" length barrels.  For me,  I chose a 22".  Why?  I didn't want 26" or a 24".  I thought a perfect balance would be in the 22" area.  Time will tell.  I don't think you can get better info scouring the entire web than you can find right here.  Upon examining many posts here and elsewhere I notice many folks do not have one blemish on their rifles.  It's as if they were going to make a mobile to hang over the baby's crib.  Perhaps hang them from their bedroom ceilings alongside their WWII Dauntlesses.  Anytime you get a shooter and can save money because the horrid blem,  do so.  Cosmetically speaking of course,  bent barrel blems are still a no no..  If the blem is bad enough and really shows up well,  beat the snot out of the rest of the rifle and sell it as retro.  Big money in retro.  Yes,  I've seen purposely beat up looking ceracoated rifles at a premium.  Go figure.

Can you visit other sites,  shoot a .260,  be ignorant of rule 65b,  and still post here?

Ok this project is on I now own barrel Hand gaurd barrel nut and billet upper receiver I need a gas block and a rifle length gas tube for LR308 and a ACC brakeout .... so if any of  you guys want to trade stuff for any of this let me know ...I need to measure the barrel at gas port but I believe it is .850

I would love to have the brakeout if that works for you just let me know what you want for it and I will do my best... also will be looking for a .940 gas block i do not care what it looks like or what kind it is ... and I will have to get a rifle length gas tube not sure what length since I have a dpms lower and BCG but now changing barrel first time for me  my cherry is popping ...

22" should be just fine. I ended up with a 24" only because I purchased a Ruger Precision. 

Remember the idea behind the 6.5 cartridges is to start slow and finish fast what with the high ballistic co-efficient bullets available.

Try Rock River Arms for the block and tube they may have what ya need

5 hours ago, Magwa said:

OMG this barrel is .940 at the gas port it will be rock solid for steel killing if I can find a gas port... lol

You absolutely positive about that, brother?  Most common are .936, when you get that huge.  That's gonna narrow your gas block sources, if it's .940"...

16 hours ago, Magwa said:

why would i want to do that? ok you have me intrigued......spit it out

Because you have always been a supporter of short barrels and it would look so badass. 

But i guess if your plan is to shoot 1k + yards, the long barrel would be better... still not ad cool. Lol