• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lucky SOB

Cunuckgaucho

cameron-dockrill.jpgrichard-marshall.jpgrichard-marshall.jpg

He was riding his Yamaha R1 to work on Monday morning through Abbotsford, B.C., when the bike went into the back of the truck.

Marshall said he's not sure exactly sure what happened. He said the truck must have slowed down and he just remembers seeing it getting closer in slow motion before the tires of the two vehicles made contact

"His back tires grabbed the front tire of my bike and pulled it in," Marshall said. "Because he's got [dual tires], my front tire went perfectly in the space between his two back tires."

Marshall was thrown off the bike and walked away from the accident with nothing more than minor scrapes and bruises — and a bruised ego, he said. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/motorcyclist-walks-away-crash-dump-truck-1.5255302

Edited by Cunuckgaucho
add link

@Cunuckgaucho I was just curious if Marshall was someone you knew or not. I didn't want to offend and rewrote my initial comment before posting lol. But since Marshall is a stranger, WTF!!!! As a rider myself, how do you get that kind of distracted to miss a dump truck coming to a stop?!? Don't get me wrong, glad he's ok, but geez.... And yeah, westgadad is my Husband lol. Not only do we move in the same circles, we go round in circles too! Lolol. The guy he referenced was a local guy to us in Atlanta. We helped at his charity benefit to pay some bills down. Westgadad played music and I was the 50/50 ticket girl. That guys permanently wheelchair bound and still super lucky at that.

I wanted to know about Marshall too. He did hit the back door (obviously?)?! I have a class M as well; watching videos of similar ruined my brain a long time ago... Everyone else is to blame; expect when you make one single mistake on a bike... Or is that the other way around??? I'm totally serious. I look for everything, and still have to avoid trash events like this. That truck might have just rolled out and Marshall never saw a thing? The M class rider can also be blamed with situational blindness (ever had that?).

Don't blink.

I drive slow once in a while; but vehicles behind me often push hard as well. What do YOU do?

@Lane Knowing the area and that(but still speculation) commuter traffic, combination of following to close and unable to see traffic in front of truck. Truck moving along then rapid slow down due to traffic,traffic around there moves in surges. Unfourantantly if he backs up far enough to to get a good look ahead the car behind will be right on his ass.

6 minutes ago, Lane said:

I wanted to know about Marshall too. He did hit the back door (obviously?)?! I have a class M as well; watching videos of similar ruined my brain a long time ago... Everyone else is to blame; expect when you make one single mistake on a bike... Or is that the other way around??? I'm totally serious. I look for everything, and still have to avoid trash events like this. That truck might have just rolled out and Marshall never saw a thing? The M class rider can also be blamed with situational blindness (ever had that?).

Don't blink.

I drive slow once in a while; but vehicles behind me often push hard as well. What do YOU do?

I get distracted from time to time I admit, and I've had close calls too. Like they say, there's only two types of riders, those that have been down and those that are gonna go down. I fit into the "been down" category and statistically probably will again sometime. But there's basic stuff at work here. He obviously didn't hit it super fast, so I don't think speed is to blame. If not speed then it has to be attention. I didn't notice a tank bag, but I wouldn't be surprised if they discovered a cellphone was involved somehow. Still just glad he's alive. Bike wrecks scare me bad. I won't tell his whole story for him, but westgadad is a super lucky guy too. 110ish mph lay down with nothing but a burn on his left butt cheek lolol.

Not much to tell. Too fast too stupid too proud. Hard riding and grabbed 5th as I went over some floor dry from a earlier wreck. Hit the rev limiter and rode it sideways instead of pulling the clutch. Thought I had it but I didn't. Cold weather so chaps and jacket saved my hide. Just slid and tried not to tumble. Bad day. 

24 minutes ago, WestGaDad said:

Just slid and tried no to tumble. Bad day. 

Hell yeah, right there.  As soon as you tumble - it all turns into "white noise..."  Don't let any appendages stick out, tuck in everything as close as you can.  Make yourself into a ball, literally.  It fucking sucks, until you roll/tumble to a stop...

1 minute ago, WestGaDad said:

@98Z5VLook how straight the forks still are. I've got inverted forks like that on my Softail. They're strong I know. I've wheelied high and dropped hard and they take it. Being through that mess though is amazing. It looks like a ABS bike too. Crying shame. 

He hit that dually setup perfectly, and it just sucks that bike right in there and snapped the steering head clean off that frame.  I saw that, too - and can't believe that front end lived like it did.  That front wheel, calipers, discs - probably fine, too.   Probably still has front brake pressure, unless that master cylinder was smashed up into the truck!   That's one lucky fucker that was riding that thing...  

We're super careful in Florida regarding folks on bikes.  Not all the people I know are careful for anything but themselves,  however most citizens know that bikes are sometimes hard to see and always less safe than an auto in an accident.

Thank God that brother is safe.  I lost a few good men from accidents.

9 hours ago, Peachey said:

If not speed then it has to be attention. I didn't notice a tank bag, but I wouldn't be surprised if they discovered a cellphone was involved somehow.

I don't see phones being used on motorcycles very often around here. Unfortunately I see bicycle riders using cell phones all the time though (especially children); that's almost worse in that they have far less protection from the world at large. 

When I was young there was a motorcycle accident right outside my house. The guy hit the mailbox pole and lost himself and the bike in the ditch. Turns out he had the gas cap off and was looking at the level of gasoline in his tank. There are some things you should just pull over for, and not do while riding/driving... I can't even begin to count how many four wheel drivers I see using phones who are completely oblivious to everything and everyone else on the road. That regularly terrifies me as both a driver and a rider. Always do my best to stay as far away from other vehicles on the road as possible. 

@Lane yeah unfortunately we get a lot of riders around here using their phones nowadays. They just use the magnetic tank bags with a clear face on them to play music, or make calls, or text, or whatever. I see it in traffic all the time. But I also see it going down the highway as well. Makes me cringe every time. Of course these are normally the same guys in shorts and flip-flops riding right in the center of their lanes, if that tells you much about them.....

9 hours ago, Peachey said:

@Lane yeah unfortunately we get a lot of riders around here using their phones nowadays. They just use the magnetic tank bags with a clear face on them to play music, or make calls, or text, or whatever. I see it in traffic all the time. But I also see it going down the highway as well. Makes me cringe every time. Of course these are normally the same guys in shorts and flip-flops riding right in the center of their lanes, if that tells you much about them.....

Hold up swold up! Shorts and flip flops?  You may be calling the kettle black miss mini skirt and beer no helmet.

rally1-01.jpeg