• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, edgecrusher said:

Glad I built a mod 0 already or this thread would get me in hot water

Painful to watch, ain't it, brother.  Ron went Hip-Deep in Mod 0 last night, and it make me cringe...  I think my wallet jumped out of the day-bag and hauled ass, as soon as I was reading Ron's posts out loud...  :laffs:

I still have to get a few proper parts and finish my Mod H Grendel.  It's just painful, though. 

I talked to LaRue today, asked about both my orders, and switched the payment method on the lower.  In the old(er) days, in order to get a LaRue lower, you either had to buy the full gun, or buy an Ultimate Upper - and provide them with your UU order # - to get just a lower.  Now that they're selling the lowers to GenPop, none of that stuff matters anymore.  Me, buying an upper a week later, does not move my lower order up in any priority.  The lowers are currently (always) 2~3 weeks out.  The upper and other parts should ship out like normal.

So, maybe a couple weeks from now, I'll have a lower to paint.  I have to wait to get ALL the hard parts in my hands, because I'm doing my own Cerakote mix.  I want to mix it once, and paint everything at the same time. 

5 hours ago, DayWalker said:

BCM upper showed up today, already had the Spikes Tactical lower in the safe. Now just gotta get a barrel and rail heading this way

You stand a chance at smokin' me, brother.  I'm stuck waiting on a lower, and other hard parts, and paint.  You could - COULD - have a running gun before I do.  For real.

But that depends on finding a barrel, and it depends on commitment...  I'm just sayin'...  :popcorn:

The real kick in the nuts during this whole thread/conversation is to find out that a crusty cocksucker had an old Armalite SPR-marked fucking lower receiver stashed away in a corner of a safe somewhere, that he forgot about...  I get it, he's making it a Grendel - and we've well proven that the Grendels are the Kings of the small-frame AR for running some serious distance.  But, the nut-jammer - he's taking that Armalite SPR lower, and making a fucking Mk12 Mod 0 with it...

Edited by 98Z5V

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The real kick in the nuts during this whole thread/conversation is to find out that a crusty cocksucker had an old Armalite SPR-marked fucking lower receiver stashed away in a corner of a safe somewhere, that he forgot about...

I may be forgetful, but it forces me to be kinda organized at the same time. Otherwise, yeah, I wouldn't have a clue as to what I have in stock.

Oh, an example of "said" organization you may ask. Yep, I got one. And I ain't proud to be this anal. That's why I'm honest to myself about being forgetful. Since I've got so much $hit sloshing around inside my head.......competing with the voices of course. :laffs:

Voila! My on-hand parts list. Yes, yes, of course I have it broken down into platforms.

Parts on Hand.rtf

35 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Shiit bro, are you certain you don't want to open a parts store? :lmao:

Oh hell no. I don't ever sell anything. I'll give $hit away to friends before I ever sell it to just anybody.

Besides.......parts don't have a shelf life. And as we all know, any mechanical device will fail eventually. So ya gotta be prepared.

And in full disclosure. I ordered a couple more Armalite 10 LPK's just today, since they're back in stock at DSG Arms. 1 is never enough.

Been looking at lower parts this morning, even though the plan is still to build the upper first. Eventually it’s gonna be a fixed stock lower, A1 or A2, haven’t decided yet. My question though is do we think a standard rifle buffer and spring will handle the 6mm? Or will I have to do some form of Vltor A5 setup?

2 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Been looking at lower parts this morning, even though the plan is still to build the upper first. Eventually it’s gonna be a fixed stock lower, A1 or A2, haven’t decided yet. My question though is do we think a standard rifle buffer and spring will handle the 6mm? Or will I have to do some form of Vltor A5 setup?

If it was me, rifle recoil parts?  Known extension from a good company, regular old 5.900" long AR15 rifle buffer (gonna be 5.4oz), and the Armalite M15 rifle recoil spring.  Solid combo, have it in the Mk12 Mod 1.

Now, comparing apples to apples, and not apples to hammers...   I'm gonna VLTOR mine, after I see what LaRue sends me.  I have no doubt I'll get some great parts from Mark LaRue, and they're gonna work great on a Grendel, which should work great on a 6 ARC...   But the other guns I'm comparing this to are running VLTOR A5 setups with the heavier buffers (A5H2s, 5.33oz).  Gotta keep it straight, on my side, for an honest comparison.  The only things different about these guns, operationally, will be the actual caliber.  The 18" Grendel and the 18" .224 Valk are running that exact same recoil system.  Fuk, ALL the Grendels are running VLTOR A5 setups.   ALL those VLTOR A5 setups are running the Armalite M15 Rifle Recoil Spring, too.  I didn't buy any "complete" A5 systems - I put them all together from parts, usually Armalite AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extensions, too. The only actual VLTOR part in those A5s is the VLTOR buffers.  All of them are either the H2, 5.33oz, or the H1, 4.56oz. The 12.5", both 16",and the light(er) 18" are with the H1.  The 18" SPR is the H2, and the Valk is the H2.

Edited by 98Z5V

Might as well not mess around, while I'm waiting for parts to show up.  Started gathering what I'll need to make this one get down to business...

P1080713.thumb.JPG.e200064ee7700512e003e75c97716282.JPG

Right now, from extensive searches, there is ZERO stock on Hornady 81608 - that's the 20-rd boxes of 108gr ELD-M Match loaded ammunition.  Time to find brass.  I'm betting my 6.5 Grendel powder will be just fine to work loads up.

EDIT - Well, looks like the brass isn't available yet, either. Hornady 86287, 50 pieces per package.  Nowhere right now. 

Good thing we have 'til the Fall, men.  Thank goodness I have my ldeal barrel already... :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Right now, from extensive searches, there is ZERO stock on Hornady 81608 - that's the 20-rd boxes of 108gr ELD-M Match loaded ammunition.

I don't know if they both pull from the same distributor, but both show to have 116 in stock.

https://redriverreloading.com/outdoor-store?route=product/product&product_id=274856&p=Hornady-Match-6mm-ARC-108gr-ELD-M-20&r=ammoseek

https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/east/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31375

41 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Down with it, brother - good lookin' out. :hail: 200 rounds inbound from Ammo Supply Warehouse for $215 shipped.  :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

You can't see it, but I'm giving you a dirty look right now.

No, not a "good" dirty look, a "mean" dirty look... You disgusting man slut....

:lmao:

I sense a little jealousy over this sweet, sweet little piece of perfection that's headed my way - that fine-ass LaRue lower...   :laffs::banana:

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

I sense a little jealousy over this sweet, sweet little piece of perfection that's headed my way - that fine-ass LaRue lower...   :laffs::banana:

Nay sir, I rather find that imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery.

Right now I can't decide whether I should try to complete a new build quickly, or just buy a 6mm ARC barrel and swap it into the current Mod 1, and then base a Mod 0 off the Grendel barrel eventually.

Just now, Matt.Cross said:

Nay sir, I rather find that imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery.

Right now I can't decide whether I should try to complete a new build quickly, or just buy a 6mm ARC barrel and swap it into the current Mod 1, and then base a Mod 0 off the Grendel barrel eventually.

THAT...  you're in a tight decision-making spot.  That's one HELL of a conundrum, right there.  My mental thought-process as I read the statement in red, in real time...

Matt:  "Right now I can't decide whether I should try to complete a new build quickly..."

Self:  Hell yeah, that's the only way to roll, brother.  Get the pain over with with the crash.  Recover later.

Matt: "...or just buy a 6mm ARC barrel and swap it into the current Mod 1,..."

Self:  He just lost his shiit, right there, he's OUT OF HIS MIND IF HE RIPS THAT MOD 1 GRENDEL APART!  I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SHIIT!!!...

Matt:  "...and then base a Mod 0 off the Grendel barrel eventually."

Self:  DAMN!!!  THAT MAKES SENSE!!!  Badass Mod 1 6 ARC, AND a SICK Mod 0 Grendel!!!   HELL YES, BROTHER!!!  

Whichever way you go, I support your sound decision making, your rational clarity, and your sickness.  I'm here for you...  Even when your wife is dogging me out.  Just blame me, brother.  She might not understand, but she won't (probably) choke you out in the middle of the night...   :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

WHOA! NOBODY MOVE A MUSCLE!

What's wrong Dirk? *Holding pen & clipboard, looking over reading glasses*

We’re gonna need a lot of time. I don’t know where to begin really.  Do I start with getting picked last for dodge ball, picked on by evil girls in middle school PE classes, the constant need for approval from a father I seem to always let down, or the crushing weight of every failure I throw onto the pile I call my life....?

I was kinda hoping for a PRI. 

6 minutes ago, DNP said:

We’re gonna need a lot of time. I don’t know where to begin really.  Do I start with getting picked last for dodge ball, picked on by evil girls in middle school PE classes, the constant need for approval from a father I seem to always let down, or the crushing weight of every failure I throw onto the pile I call my life....?

I was kinda hoping for a PRI. 

I addition to a $2k cashpile I have in reserve for a certain payoff - and some well deserved interest on top of that... 

I might have some spare parts for you.  I might be a PRI-Whore, with a stockpile.

We can begin with the counseling, but that always takes time.  I think we should begin the therapy with some fucking gun parts.  Not only is it more theraputic that way - it actually works. 

I think we can short-cut this process, and get you on with the "healing..."   :thumbup: