• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sturgeon Fishing in the Fraser River

Cunuckgaucho

So not really a fisherman but this trip was an eye opener to the sport and I had a blast. Day started off slow with a few nibbles but nothing took. Close to lunch the rain let up and Aaron got one on the hook. That ended up being a 5 footer which we brought on board for pics.

We settled in and at appox 14:00 I got a bite and it was game on. took about 45 min to land this one on the beach for pics as at 7 ft to big to drag aboard. He leapt out of the water a couple times which was pretty impressive to see. At one point I think the line was caught up on a sunk branch but managed to free the line and not lose my fish.

With the sturgeon ist's catch and release only. Time to look at salmon fishing and bring something home .

sturgeon6.thumb.jpg.35ad883194dc2bcdafdfc55423b693c8.jpgsturgeon9.thumb.jpg.cd0bd682366be3da005bde33813e5606.jpgsturgeon3.thumb.jpeg.7fc57e08ab385f9749d4a1722e267a06.jpegsturgeon1.thumb.jpg.6378d90a968b8221388d4e67d319a94c.jpg

I've heard stories (tall tales?) of divers at the bottom of a dam, looking for damage, when all of a sudden the earth moved under their feet and they discovered they were standing on a catfish. Understand, they didn't step on a catfish, they were standing on a fish big enough that both their feet were on the top of the fish. Yeah, I know, another fish story but some of them have a serious basis in truth.

Spearing season is always cool to follow here on winnabago and other fox river lakes. They issue a certain amount of tags each year then the dnr keeps the season open based on the amount of fish harvested. They chain saw a hole in the ice and you sit in a pitch black shack starring down the hole till one swims thru. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox11online.com/amp/sports/outdoors/30-sturgeon-speared-monday-feb-17-2020

Edited by shepp

On 9/26/2020 at 12:24 PM, shepp said:

Spearing season is always cool to follow here on winnabago and other fox river lakes. They issue a certain amount of tags each year then the dnr keeps the season open based on the amount of fish harvested. They chain saw a hole in the ice and you sit in a pitch black shack starring down the hole till one swims thru. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox11online.com/amp/sports/outdoors/30-sturgeon-speared-monday-feb-17-2020

I would have never guessed, spear fishing through the ice?? no 308 AR involved though?? LOL

congrats sturgeon fishing is a hoot and can kick your a$$, I love catching them this is a cool pic that I took of a sturgeon I caught on the Columbia River look close as it is coming to the boat..... it was a bit over 8 ft hooked by accident on a kwikfish lure they seem to love them as we always catch one or two during salmon season you can see the lure hanging out of his mouth... fun stuff Cunuck...

22029.jpeg

22032.jpeg