1 Mile Showdown

98Z5V

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 Mile is done, brothers.  16.9 mils of dial, up from the 500 yard zero.  Light wind, maybe 2~3mph.  Ended up dialing 1.0 miles left for wind.  Shot that fucker directly in the very center of the head. 

Camera locked up from dust, and wouldn't open the lens.  Phone battery was low, and wouldn't activate the camera function on it.  GoPro battery is dying on me, because I fully charged it before going out there, and when I turned it on - it dies.  @JBMatt spotted for me, and went with me to recover the target.  He has a good pic of it.  I'll get into more details in a little while, unpacking the truck right now.  .300 Win Mag is the sheit.

Edited by 98Z5V

Here's how this was run - since @JBMatt actually went to the Long Range Shooter's of Utah "Milk Jug Challenge" last August, he's the one that's done it, and says how it's gonna get done - and it WORKS very well.  Last August, he went up there, and did their course, and qualified at 1000, 1200, 1500, and 1760 (1 mile). 

So, You get your "first attempt" - which is 10 rounds.  After 10 rounds, you're off the line, next person is up.  After everybody cycles through, and if time is available, you can take your second attempt (another 10 rounds), and on and on...  until the range closes, you run out of daylight, whatever.

So, we talked about it last week, and we camped out there last night, just tented it.  Had everything running this morning, and Matt shot his first attempt.  Close, like ALL OVER THAT TARGET, but it's distance.  Wind was light, around 2~3mph.  GREAT day for doing this.  I was up next, did my dial, laid my rounds down there, and was very, very close too many times to count, in those 10.  Matt gets up there next, second attempt, and hits that fucker on his 8th round.  I go through my second attempt, very close, and never connecting.  Take a break, eat some breakfast, and go into my third.  Hit it on the 5th round.  So, Matt made it in 18 rounds, I made it in 25.  That mile is no joke, even with the light winds we had - you wouldn't be able to do it in some of the heavier winds we've shot in out there at the 850 and 1k.

Here's Matt's hit:

34420584_22Nov201-mileMattshit.thumb.jpg.a45b2585305ab6c25d05eda182e889a2.jpg

Here's my hit, when we went out there to pull the target:

1766545604_22Nov201-mileTomshit.thumb.jpg.f98f275c390d3f4575040777b083cf4e.jpg

I'd taken a ride on the Ace out there to check it out, and none of my shiit was working.  Cell phone low on charge, GoPro eating it's own battery, camera won't function because of all the dirt in it - I knew what my hit was, and I got back and told them that it's about as close to being in the very direct center of this guy's head, as you can get.  It was pretty damn cool.

Here's the setup:

125208812_22Nov201-milethesetup.thumb.jpg.12328972f325efdfb14dc5fb9a18a841.jpg

Here's the only GoPro vid I got - and you can hear it shutting itself down even before I was done with this vid...  

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Here's how this was run - since @JBMatt actually went to the Long Range Shooter's of Utah "Milk Jug Challenge" last August, he's the one that's done it, and says how it's gonna get done - and it WORKS very well.  Last August, he went up there, and did their course, and qualified at 1000, 1200, 1500, and 1760 (1 mile). 

So, You get your "first attempt" - which is 10 rounds.  After 10 rounds, you're off the line, next person is up.  After everybody cycles through, and if time is available, you can take your second attempt (another 10 rounds), and on and on...  until the range closes, you run out of daylight, whatever.

So, we talked about it last week, and we camped out there last night, just tented it.  Had everything running this morning, and Matt shot his first attempt.  Close, like ALL OVER THAT TARGET, but it's distance.  Wind was light, around 2~3mph.  GREAT day for doing this.  I was up next, did my dial, laid my rounds down there, and was very, very close too many times to count, in those 10.  Matt gets up there next, second attempt, and hits that fucker on his 8th round.  I go through my second attempt, very close, and never connecting.  Take a break, eat some breakfast, and go into my third.  Hit it on the 5th round.  So, Matt made it in 18 rounds, I made it in 25.  That mile is no joke, even with the light winds we had - you wouldn't be able to do it in some of the heavier winds we've shot in out there at the 850 and 1k.

Here's Matt's hit:

34420584_22Nov201-mileMattshit.thumb.jpg.a45b2585305ab6c25d05eda182e889a2.jpg

Here's my hit, when we went out there to pull the target:

1766545604_22Nov201-mileTomshit.thumb.jpg.f98f275c390d3f4575040777b083cf4e.jpg

I'd taken a ride on the Ace out there to check it out, and none of my shiit was working.  Cell phone low on charge, GoPro eating it's own battery, camera won't function because of all the dirt in it - I knew what my hit was, and I got back and told them that it's about as close to being in the very direct center of this guy's head, as you can get.  It was pretty damn cool.

Here's the setup:

125208812_22Nov201-milethesetup.thumb.jpg.12328972f325efdfb14dc5fb9a18a841.jpg

Here's the only GoPro vid I got - and you can hear it shutting itself down even before I was done with this vid...  

Impressive shooting fellas!!

Well, the first time's the hardest.  Now that you've done it, you know what to expect!  I gotta give you a big ATTA BOY!  I was pleasantly surprised how well your loads worked.  You were consistent as hell with all those misses!  Lol.  That poor bugger woulda been missing all his body parts by the time you got to the money shot!  Well done, my friend.

43 minutes ago, JBMatt said:

Well, the first time's the hardest.  Now that you've done it, you know what to expect!  I gotta give you a big ATTA BOY!  I was pleasantly surprised how well your loads worked.  You were consistent as hell with all those misses!  Lol.  That poor bugger woulda been missing all his body parts by the time you got to the money shot!  Well done, my friend.

Amazing, brother - what a hoot!...   And thank you, greatly, for spotting all the misses...   You were on, calling my "not-on yets!"   :laffs:  Minor clicks for major adjustments, stay close, and the advice of "don't chase it with clicks."  :thumbup:

What we figured out there towards the middle of the day - 1/10 mil adjustments, at 1760 yards = 6.3" every time you click one. 

This is gonna be a regular thing here, now.  We need Gun Pusher John to get that damn .375 CheyTac out there.  Pronto!...  

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Amazing, brother - what a hoot!...   And thank you, greatly, for spotting all the misses...   You were on, calling my "not-on yets!"   :laffs:  Minor clicks for major adjustments, stay close, and the advice of "don't chase it with clicks."  :thumbup:

What we figured out there towards the middle of the day - 1/10 mil adjustments, at 1760 yards = 6.3" every time you click one. 

This is gonna be a regular thing here, now.  We need Gun Pusher John to get that damn .375 CheyTac out there.  Pronto!...  

Fine work Gents, as a dark helmeted, dark robed Gent would say, "IMPRESSIVE! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!"

Weather data, for those that are interested in this stuff:

8am

55.9* F

pressure 28.49 in/hg

1351 altitude

1570 Density Altitude.

^^^   That's when @JBMatt was shooting.

Here's when I was shooting my first attempt:

8:49am

70.0* F

pressure 28.49 in/hg

1351 altitude

2700 Density Altitude.  

Load data: Federal .300 Win Mag brass, once fired, all trimmed to the minimum length with a Lee Case Length Gauge/trimmer.  225gr Hornady ELD-M, 2803 fps with CCI 250 primers, 71.8gr RL-22, hand-trickled in a beam scale.  Loaded to 3.340" COL, all ran through the Lee Factory Crimp die at the end of the load process.

Gun data: Rem 700 Long Range, 26" heavy barrel, 1:10" twist, Nikon Black1000 6~24 SFP scope in Warne Maxima steel rings, non-QD, sitting on an EGW 30 MOA rail. Vortex scope-mounted bubble level.   KRG Bolt Lift (the original one) on the bolt handle. Timney 517 V2 trigger (flat trigger @ 2.5lb pull), Bell & Carlson M40 stock, MagPul DBM setup with 5-rd mags.  Magpul Slingstud Bipod. Scope is zero'd for 500 yards, because it's bottomed out there, with the 30 MOA rail on the gun.  Total dial travel for elevation is 22.6 mils, which would take me out past 2000 yards. 2000 on my dope chart actually comes up to 21.7 mils.

Edited by 98Z5V