• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A Stimulated BSF 6.5 Grendel Build

jtallen83

I've had a couple 6.5 Grendel parts boxes going since @98Z5V laid out his builds with all that data :hail: I know I can't plug and play those loads but figured I'd get the same barrels and be pretty close. I got the 12 incher finished, mostly, last year but the supply of that 18 incher Tom used was out, been out, when BA announced they would not be making Grendel barrels for the foreseeable future I figured that build went to the wayback burner.

My LGS had this fancy 18 incher they have tried to talk my wife into getting me for a gift but the tag has stupid money on it so I've never really looked at it seriously, neither did she. But yesterday the stars aligned, not sure if it was for me or my gun pusher? but anyway I had been selling a few old tools from the basement stash, figured there might be some extra cash floating around soon, turned out there is, people are spending stupid money. So I'm feeling good when I stop in the LGS on the regular ammo ration run, decided to ask what his best price really was on that barrel, he goes down a bit but I say for that I ought to get a bolt with it, he says for that he will throw in a whole BCG, trap sprung, I'm got, $600 for the pair, this bitch better shoot! Stupid money...........

With the stupid money spent on a light weight barrel I'm starting to rethink a few of the parts, love that 15 inch Wilson Combat TRIM rail but this seems like a good place to use a carbon fiber rail, some titanium small parts and I could have a Breaststrokers special!

100_6124.thumb.JPG.81fb123ac56f829aef905713b6f41c48.JPG100_6037.thumb.JPG.ee3b9c9805555645b46d2ada31b91992.JPG100_6038.thumb.JPG.50a8a0a2b3e71b5dbac587797fd78b2e.JPG100_6039.thumb.JPG.322d517c6fe47fc5df3a32abfadbdef4.JPG

https://www.bsfbarrels.com/product-page/6-5-grendel

JIm, that is one HELL of a nice group of parts!!!   :hail::banana:   I've been wanting to use one of those barrels for about 2.5 years now.  That was about the time that I waited about 30 minutes to long to buy a (cosmetic) blem .260 Rem 22" barrel for $199.  I kick myself in my own nuts for that, to this day.  I'm curious to see how it does.  I'll send loaded ammo to try it all out, too.   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

12 minutes ago, GRA said:

I wish I could find some 6.5 Grendel ammo.  It is totally unobtanium and has been for months. 😫

Not in my house.  I'm stocked with projectiles, powder, brass and primers.  And a badass load for it.  :thumbup:

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:
5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Not in my house.  I'm stocked with projectiles, powder, brass and primers.  And a badass load for it.  :thumbup:

I got my 16” Grendel upper only recently.  I bought the mags first but only found about 100 rounds so far.

18 hours ago, GRA said:

I got my 16” Grendel upper only recently.  I bought the mags first but only found about 100 rounds so far.

Ammo is hard as hell to find, but if you can locate some Hornady Match 123gr ELD-M loaded rounds - those are MOST EXCELLENT. I beat that load on my handloads, but it wasn't easy, or fast, coming up with it. It took quite awhile.  That Match box from Hornady delivers.  It's what everything else should be measured against, for a Grendel.  :hail:

7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Ammo is hard as hell to find, but if you can locate some Hornady Match 123gr ELD-M loaded rounds - those are MOST EXCELLENT. I beat that load on my handloads, but it wasn't easy, or fast, coming up with it. It took quite awhile.  That Match box from Hornady delivers.  It's what everything else should be measured against, for a Grendel.  :hail:

Yes I’m on the waiting list for all that Hornady offers in 6.5 Grendel.  To date all I have been able to get is 100 rounds of Wolf Military. 🤷‍♂️

On 3/22/2021 at 11:09 PM, GRA said:

That looks sweet.  👍👍👍

I wish I could find some 6.5 Grendel ammo.  It is totally unobtanium and has been for months. 😫

You and me both, i stopped lookin for it. it's as if they stopped making it. I been buyin a lot of 224. plenty of it around.

4 minutes ago, DNP said:

Updates man. Updates. This is going to be a sexy rifle. 

I need to mock up what I have to confirm what I want for a gas block........ IF I don't decide to dump a little stimulus dough on a carbon fiber HG, part of me says don't throw money after a fancy part I already have covered from a quality maker, the other side says fuk it, in for dime in for a dollar..... gotta work out my Sybil issues. 

I did grab more Grendel food today, don't want her going hungry when she does come to life, slim pickings on it, this schit is $34.99 a box but it's on the shelf, was getting it at around $27 just a couple months ago.

IMG_4200.thumb.jpg.1e48b548dc8102a2442e227886a73f26.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I fumbled with some parts this afternoon, swapped rail choices, going with Odin Works O2 lite, it is light and the Wilson was longer and too tight on the gas block. It has the funkiest barrel nut system I have seen, two parts, anchor block threads onto the upper then the barrel nut threads into the block. The gas tube alignment has to be dead on, the passage for it in the block is TIGHT, had to work it in and out a couple times to get to the point it will slide through. They provide an alignment pin but I must be missing something, only the small stepped down portion actually fits in the block or in the guide in the upper, I assumed the rod would sit between the block and the upper holding them in alignment while torqueing the nut, not sure what they have going on since the rod doesn't pass through anywhere it would need to. Guess I'll find out how well it works when I get the 1 1/4 crows foot, figures, I have the next two larger and the next two smaller size wrenches.

IMG_4220.thumb.jpg.a1298225d9a0b5a947570d8f23c95cc4.jpgIMG_4221.thumb.jpg.d29c01760ebf041be054a77e7e5873ce.jpgIMG_4222.thumb.jpg.edd7f2fdf5f1d72cf36cd6e59ef64dab.jpgIMG_4223.thumb.jpg.c765ed6d89c64e4d21c60653be0042cf.jpgIMG_4224.thumb.jpg.d467920bc5e543b1db5b52cff79fda25.jpg

Something to watch for if you mess with an adjustable Seekins gas block like this. The directions are in depth on adjustment, seemed pretty thorough for install as well. They come with two levers, a long and a short. I wanted the long one as this rifle will be used mostly with gloves on. The directions call out not removing the metering screw all the way as there is a spring and detent, I was careful but the lever had a real rough feel when I got it back in, looked on the bench and saw a tiny little ball bearing like the extra one in the box, crap. Pulled it back apart and this time had to pull the metering screw all the way out and see if I ruined the spring, there sat the ball bearing right on top the spring where it belonged, where the hell did the other one come from then???....... turns out there is a little ball bearing that goes between the set screw in the lever and the metering screw, locks the lever into a groove on the screw, not a mention of it on the directions.

IMG_4218.thumb.jpg.a077011a11891682e26df9886fdaf5c4.jpgIMG_4216.thumb.jpg.340e5345e63f9ebb99a0d149b7cdd7de.jpg

4 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Those ball bearings have to be the smallest ones I have ever seen, you're lucky you spotted that thing.

Yeah, I would say not field serviceable. I always lusted for a Noveske Switchblock but glad I waited, this seams even more versatile. 

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Still doesn't look like much but it's ready to fire. I'll be following their break in instructions so it might be month before I get all that cleaning done. Real curios to see how that odd pattern in the rifling works out for copper buildup. 

image.thumb.png.1a2d6309828ee1abb97abd1344e86af9.png

IMG_4614.thumb.jpg.f30a3267d2c0881bc34bf0f134d06dec.jpg

That Odin Works rail was a pain, I ended up jamming a dowel along side the alignment pin for the gas tube in order to hold as far as possible, when you torque the nut it wants to move some, my alignment isn't as perfect as I would like but I had to say enough for fear of wearing out threads trying for perfect, got this to look forward to on my 260 build, I do really like the feel of the rail though, very light but remarkably stiff for what you see.

Gotta decide on an optic, this is too much money but what I'm looking for size/performance wise, I need another stimulus :laffs:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-compact-plx-1-8x24mm-ffp-rifle-scope-illuminated-acss-raptor-m8-556-308-reticle