• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

options on bipod

Steve crawford

I tried to search and did not find much.  Shooting from a a bench mostly.  6-9 in or 9-13 in?  What medium price range bipod do you like?  want a picatinny rail mount.  Do not have a sling stud.  trying to stay in Harris and below price range.  I know I say that and then blow the budget at times.  Thanks.

Steve

I have read that the legs on the new light weight model have a lot of movement in them.  just trying to look before I leap.  I now have a spare trigger that I bought before I asked here.  What model Magpul and which height ( 6 to 9 or 9 to 13) do you like.  I have a cheep no name that tries to come apart every time I use it.  It had a rubber washer between the mount and base that won't stay tight.  It is also very heavy.   😏😏😏

Steve

Edited by Steve crawford

3 hours ago, Steve crawford said:

What medium price range bipod do you like?

Glad that you worded it that way. Harris makes nice bipods in that price range. I've got the 6-9" range on a handful of rifles, and they work just fine. They get a little tight on mobility because of height when working off of a bench when they're not fully extended.

These days I only get Atlas bipods. But that's a different price range (almost double).

This is a Harris on one of my AR-10 carbines, fully extended.

898904483_10withACOG.thumb.JPG.349bf42a158498e88264b321fa262adc.JPG

I’ve got a couple of the Magpul’s, but run them on my 22’s…so keep that in mind. Height is going to depend on you and the terrain you want to use it in. Lay down and rest the rifle on a few objects of varying height to find the right fit for you. Some of us are a little (we’ll just say deeper) (ok, rounder) than others and might need a little more height. I haven’t had a problem with 6-9 and I’m not tiny. If you’re going to be somewhere you need it a little higher…get the taller one. 

3 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Glad that you worded it that way. Harris makes nice bipods in that price range. I've got the 6-9" range on a handful of rifles, and they work just fine. They get a little tight on mobility because of height when working off of a bench when they're not fully extended.

These days I only get Atlas bipods. But that's a different price range (almost double).

This is a Harris on one of my AR-10 carbines, fully extended.

898904483_10withACOG.thumb.JPG.349bf42a158498e88264b321fa262adc.JPG

Come on now…we’re going to pass up a chance to talk medium price range bipods?  

@Rsquared is holding out on you @Steve crawford  he has the ultimate bipod at home and it could be mid priced depending on your budget. Unless he hawked it for MGD money already. 

Edited by DNP

MagPul only makes one-height bipod.  I've been running them since they came out, and I've beat the living shiit out of them, and can't kill them.  Before MagPul made their bipod, I used a bunch of Harris bipods.  I won't get rid of the ones that I have, but I won't buy any more of them, now.  I haven't found a gun yet that won't work with a MagPul bipod, including my .300 Win Mag bolt gun.  I won't buy anything else, anymore.  They don't break.  You can't break them, either. 

I abuse the shiit out of bipods, and use them for what they're designed for - LOAD them, and stabilize the gun.  More often than not, I use them as a barricade brace, with body-weight to stabilize the gun.  My bipods don't have an easy life, if that means anything to my testament to the MagPul stuff. 

Buy with confidence, for about a hundred bucks.  That's cheaper than a good swivel Harris, right there.

Edited by 98Z5V

^^^  Will that swivel AND pan?  How's it do when you're not on a perfectly level shooting platform?

The Harris will swivel, but won't pan, unless you buy a specific aftermarket adapter.  More $$$. 

The MagPul swivels (tilts) 50*, and nothing else in the industry does that.  It also pans 40*.  No matter which one (version) you buy.  MSRP is $110, but that's not street price.  No other bipod on the market does what the MagPul does, for the price - and for the level of ass-whippin' you can put to a bipod.  But again, that's just what I think, after beating the fuk out of a bunch of them for a few years now. 

Example of "barricading" this bipod, even with the legs up...

MAG933_2_1_.jpg

You just cannot beat this thing for the money that they want for it...

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Have to adjust height for uneven surfaces. 

There are times out in the dirt, where that just won't work.  And your scope (and gun) just can't get level. That = Impossible Shot.

Works for bench shooting, though. 

On 10/8/2021 at 11:00 PM, 98Z5V said:

There are times out in the dirt, where that just won't work

I'm sure you're right. I personally haven't had an issue......yet. I've shot prone, in the dirt, 750-800 yards ground hog hunting quite successfully. Just lucky so far I guess 🤣. Definitely much faster with some of my other bipods that pivot though

The pan feature was the main deciding feature for me for the Magpul.  They do sell Harris with a tilt but not pan I don't think.  It didn't make sense to me to have a semi auto firearm for practical purposes on a bipod that locked into one place.  

for my hunting rifle I use a snipod from kramer design which is basically independent tent pole legs on a qd system.  It's terrible for bench and not so great at rapid repeat fire.  But at 5 oz you can pull it out of your pocket and get a quick steady shot sitting, kneeling, or prone in the field. I might put an adapter for it on this ar of mine for unconditional shooting positions.

1 hour ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I'm sure you're right. I personally haven't had an issue......yet. I've shot prone, in the dirt, 750-800 yards ground hog hunting quite successfully. Just lucky so far I guess 🤣. Definitely much faster with some of my other bipods that pivot though

Yeah, for sure.  I'd never hunt that bipod that you listed above.  It's locked, both ways, and pretty useless besides bench.  If you hunted that bipod on groundhogs at 700~800 yards, you are superhuman.  I blast 700~800 yards all the time, mostly on the same terrain - but it's never the same in the dirt, it always changes.  My scope level tells me that, every time I line it up.  At those kinds of distances, it matters.  I think luck has been on your side - or we're not hearing about the misses...  Just the kills... 

1 hour ago, shaffe48 said:

The pan feature was the main deciding feature for me for the Magpul.  They do sell Harris with a tilt but not pan I don't think. 

Harris does tilt (cant), but no pan.  This is the ONLY company that makes a pan device for a Harris.  I have one.  I like it. 

https://www.harrisbipods.com/product/rba-1-adapter/

Harris doesn't make it - they just sell it.  It's a cure to a problem, and Harris like it.  Rota-Pod makes it for them. 

Now, I like what I have, with the Harris and Rota-Pod,  but I bought that (years) before the MagPul bipod came out, too.  Never again.  MagPul bipod all the way.  :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Oh, there's some misses too!😂🤣. When targeting multiple  small moving live targets at varying ranges, there's no time to fiddle with scope levels. You range, set your shlt & shoot.

Kinda hard to do, with a bipod that doesn't move - -at all? 

Asking for a friend...   :popcorn: