• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello! - Looking for help with Wilson Combat Build

LevelHead

Ok since no one has said it yet and I like lube! when these guns are new lube the ever loving crap out of them I mean dripping wet inside the upper gets extra as does the BCG . I like to soak my new BCG's in Mobil One synthetic oil I have a tray just for the purpose after a couple of weeks they will take no more oil and be very slick and also very easy to clean, there is a ton of surface material to mate up on these AR15 big brothers... good luck

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Magwa said:

Ok since no one has said it yet and I like lube! when these guns are new lube the ever loving crap out of them I mean dripping wet inside the upper gets extra as does the BCG . I like to soak my new BCG's in Mobil One synthetic oil I have a tray just for the purpose after a couple of weeks they will take no more oil and be very slick and also very easy to clean, there is a ton of surface material to mate up on these AR15 big brothers... good luck

Thanks. Yeah, I know they like to run wet. especially during break-in. 

17 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

18" (.308 Win) rifle gas barrel with a 0.750" journal diameter will need a gas port diameter that's around 0.096".  With your 0.875" journal diameter, you can drop 0.005" off that number.  You should see a gas port diameter that's 0.090" minimum.

I've got a #43 and a #42, so I can do .089" or .0935". I don't have the means to drill at .090". I'm open to getting whatever I need, though.

Is .0935" too big?

17 hours ago, LevelHead said:

Got my pin gage set. I measure the gas port at .088"

They almost made it.  Almost.  But, yet again, it's another non-fuctional barrel from the factory.

4 hours ago, LevelHead said:

I've got a #43 and a #42, so I can do .089" or .0935". I don't have the means to drill at .090". I'm open to getting whatever I need, though.

Is .0935" too big?

Nope.

3 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Nope, you’ll be fine!

^^^  What he said.  I prefer 18" rifle gas barrels with 0.750" journals around 0.097" or 0.098", with a 0.096" minimum for GREAT factory-loaded match ammo. 

You'll be fine at 0.935", and the gun will run.  :thumbup:

Once it's running - it will shoot so damn good...  The accuracy of their gas-gun barrels is amazing.  :hail:

I've got an aircraft mechanic buddy telling me I need to ream that hole smooth and while I can certainly see how that's better, it seems to me that it's going to smooth out after a couple hundred rounds anyway. Thoughts on that? 

I'm inclined to let it be, mostly because the rifle's all back together now, but if you guys are out there going, "Holy fornicate - you didn't ream the hole!" then I'll do what I gotta do. 

2 minutes ago, LevelHead said:

I've got an aircraft mechanic buddy telling me I need to ream that hole smooth and while I can certainly see how that's better, it seems to me that it's going to smooth out after a couple hundred rounds anyway. Thoughts on that? 

It's going to smooth out the first time you send the first round through it.

This isn't an aircraft - it's a gun barrel. Let him know that. 

Edited by 98Z5V

I HATE being "Captain Obvious" to other people, in other industries, that think they know better - and don't have any gun experience whatsoever.  Any "burr" in a hydraulic line feeding a transmission on a military helicopter - could be catastrophic. 

Guns aren't helicopters.  Guns aren't Jets.  Guns aren't piston-driven airplanes.

"Airline Professionals" don't know what the fuk is happening in a gun - when it goes bang.  Don't give a fuk what their own professional "A&P Certs" declare them as.

Guns are guns.  I hate outsider-information, from "professionals in other fields" - that don't know the first thing about how guns work.  They aren't cars, trucks, airplanes, space shuttles, or thermo-nuclear reactors.  They're just guns.  They're pretty fucking simple, in the long game.  All these other people in "their own long game" try to apply their own shiit to guns - and it just doesn't work.  It's comparing Apples to Hammers.

They're insignificant - in the long game.  Those opinons.  They don't ahve real-world experience in guns?  Well, Bye.  Go FIND that experience.  reload some ammo, shoot it, tell me what you find out - jet mechanic.

Those people need to stick to "their fields," and stay the fuk out of gun conversations.  They don't have a clue, in the first place. 

This is all JMHO... 

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

"Airline Professionals" don't know what the fuk is happening in a gun

There are always exceptions, Stoner anyone? Sorry, the history geek in me had to point out that Stoner was a plane guy before being a gun guy, I wonder what he thought about the burr though, did they ream, drill, or both :laffs:

I have to admit to wanting to clean that burr up real bad myself, even knowing it ain't gonna matter something makes me want to clean it up........ nobody better post a link to some stupid expensive tool that cleans up the burr:laffs:

Edited by jtallen83
I'm slow

Finally got the Armalite kit. Put it together and went out to range in the rain. 

80 rounds of a mix of 308 and 7.62 downrange and while I wouldn’t quite say it ran like a top, it ran. The of feeding errors and the one stovepipe I had I can easily attribute to break-in. It only failed to lock back on an empty mag once, but since it was such a PITA before I’m being hyper critical of any failure. Other than that it’s behaving the way it should and I anticipate after another range trip or two it will settle in nicely. 

Thanks so much for your help! 

53F42A0B-3EDC-4097-9CB7-662602CE9E3C.jpeg

I'd like to tame the recoil a bit. My first AR10 was an actual Armalite AR-10(t) back in the early '00s and it was smooth as silk - I could watch apples explode through the scope after firing. It has a 24" barrel, but I'm hoping I can at least get in the ballpark of that sort of feel with this gun, and hopefully without a muzzle brake. 

To that end, now that I've got the Armalite receiver extension on there, any reason to not try an XH 8.5 Carbine Buffer and 308R spring from heavybuffers.com? 

On 9/7/2022 at 1:20 PM, LevelHead said:

You have no idea how much I'd love to go down the suppressor route, but here behind enemy lines our benevolent dictator dickhead governor won't allow a flash-hider let alone a can. 

Sounds like a unhealthy environment to live in Time to move!

On 9/7/2022 at 12:00 PM, LevelHead said:

any reason to not try an XH 8.5 Carbine Buffer and 308R spring from heavybuffers.com? 

No reason not to go that route at all.  It'll accomplish exactly what you want it for - tame recoil a bit.  I have one on the way right now, for that very reason. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update that I finally got back to the range with the finished rifle along with its XH 8.5oz heavy buffer in its Armalite tube and it is an absolute female cat-cat of a rifle now! It's not quite "watch the target through the scope while firing" smooth, but it's only an 18" barrel and a muzzle brake would solve that. I had a couple of friends along and they both commented on how freaking smooth it was. 

You guys fucking rock.