• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Recteq grills

Madhouse

6 minutes ago, DNP said:

Hell yeah!  The 40lb hopper is a nice feature. Those grills have a lot of neat stuff going on…I’ll be happy to hear how it works out for you over the next few months. Congrats on the purchase…you won’t be unhappy, I’m sure of it. 

Pellets don't like moisture or it turns into a mess. Now I try to only keep what I'm going to use in the hopper. It also allows to change pellet flavor without unloading the hopper. FWIW

I keep two grills. One has and one pellet. I prefer almost everything I cook on the pellet. If you have the seat plates, you can still do similar to the gas or charcoal direct heat, but I just go to my gas for those options. I don’t recall if it was recteq or another, but somebody had a gas grill attachment that mounted off the side. 

On 4/29/2023 at 10:24 AM, Madhouse said:

Thx.  My concern is traditional "grilling", like direct heat cooking on a grill.  But I know this will do it well, once I can figure it out.

I thought the same thing but those grates solved that for me, I do all my “conventional” grilling on them, I can’t complain! 

these were all done on mine 

FC4CFCC0-1689-4428-9292-6202932DA5F3.jpeg

A2D3C08E-2224-4F8E-A719-1071EC3A49D0.jpeg

AFFCADD6-7C70-41A0-BE09-C1DE3AE7063F.jpeg

73A2DD58-D103-4507-96AE-A9F815A1C5C2.jpeg

On 4/29/2023 at 12:32 PM, DNP said:

And just because I’ve already hijacked half of this one…the run is started. 

BCF57E1A-09C4-48D3-BEB8-C05A5CFC1000.jpeg

64854D6E-4336-4012-AF6A-932174FA12B6.jpeg

I'll keep your highjack going, because it's still pertinent to the thread...   :banana:

HOLY SHIIT!!!   That Chicken Palace is bigger then your first toy hauler!!!   :laffs::lmao:

(Remind her of that, when it's appropriate, and when you can use that information in a "disagreement..."   )

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...

Seasoned the new grill grates with an onion today. Tonight on the menu, potatoes and onion coated in olive oil and dusted with Freakin Greek seasoning, asparagus rolled in Freakin Greek, and a fresh-cut ribeye seasoned with Four-letter rub and Heffer Dust rub. Steak will get smoked to 110° then taken off to rest while the grill heats to 500°, then reverse seared until it hits 135°, a strong medium rare. 

Pics to follow, after I recover from the food coma. 

On 5/14/2023 at 11:40 AM, Madhouse said:

Those grates are awesome.  I brushed the ribeye four times with jalapeno chipotle finishing butter while searing.  It came out about as perfect as I could have expected.

01_grillgrates.jpg

02_rubbed.jpg

03_sear.jpg

04_taters.jpg

05_ribeye.jpg

06_dinner.jpg

Perfection!!

• 1 month later...

So, many many cooks later on this grill and all of my concerns about non-direct grilling are gone (thanks to Shepp's recommendation on the grill grates).  I've done everything on this that I did a thousand times on my gas grill and it's worked out perfectly.  There's more maintenance with this, though, having to replace the foil lining on the drip pan (or just cleaning the drip pan) - it was a lot easier to just let the flavor bars on the gas grill store that shit.

I highly recommend the Recteq brand, this is a super quality unit.  I've heard their customer service is amazing, hopefully I won't need to find out for myself anytime soon.

<edited to add shout out for Shepp>

• 2 months later...

That's a mighty good looking bird.  Was recently thinking about replacing the old Weber charcoal kettle grill at the VA fishing/hunting cabin.  Was stunned to see how much prices for grills in general have gone up in the last few years.  Ended up just replacing the old rusted wire grate with a porcelain coated cast iron grate from Amazon (still around $60).  My main gripe with the old grill was that lean ground meat patties would stick and break apart.  Only use the place 5 or 6 times a year.  Think this will address the problem.  Looking forward to deer season starting in about a month.