• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Best .308 for the money?

pitt bull

Hi, I'm new to the forum and was just wondering what is the best .308 AR for the money?  I'm interested in a 16 to 18 inch lengt barrel.  I may use it for heavy metal three gun.  I have been looking at the Rock River  Elite Operator, Dpms APH, and the Bushmaster MOE.  Which of these are the best ?  Are there any others to consider?  Thanks for the help. 

Welcome , First off determine your budget. At different price points quality changes. RR , DPMS & Bushy all make quallity products and with few changes they are all reliable. You may want to buy a basic rifle then change the pistol grip, trigger,quadrail buttstock and flash hider/comp/brake to your liking. But if your budget permits you might get a Larue or POF.

All this is subjective , a lot of us on this forum build our own so we can customize them the way we want them. Example I like to start with match barrels and really dont care about the optics very much. Others on this site will make their riffle form fitting with the perfect buttstock and pistol grip.

Figure out what YOU want and get those options, that is no perfect/best rifle everthing is a comprimise. If our military uses more than one type for gun, then that means there is no do all weapon just the best for a specific task.

If you locked 6 of us in a room and asked us that question you would get 6 different answers or 5 dead people and one smoking hot gun. <dontknow>

I  would suggest start with a factory rifle with the barrel profile and length you want and with a free-float tube.  Then add a trigger to your liking and whatever else.  That way you get a working rifle to begin with at least cost and can compare the improvements. 

Absolute accuracy with these rifles and the manufacturers preferred by almost all of the group is a function of barrel profile.  A full bull barrel might easily be able to make a single slightly ragged hole group at 100 yards.  A light weight  tapered barrel is capable of a loose ragged 1 1/14 inch group.  What you get at 300 or 500 or more yards depends entirely on you.  The very slight differences between short and long barrels at long distances have been dealt with elsewhere in this forum. 

FWIW:  I love my DPMS factory rifle with its long fluted SS barrel.  The mods I did improved it a lot for me at a very modest cost.  My belief that it needs an Abrams tank chassis for transport is almost certainly an illusion.  It only weighs 12 1/2 pounds dry with scope.

...I have been looking at the Rock River  Elite Operator, Dpms APH, and the Bushmaster MOE.

Also in the same price range is the Bushmaster ORC .308. DPMS and Bushmaster (As well as Remington) are owned by the same parent company, The Freedom Group, so their products are nigh on identical, though I think that Bushmaster's come with CL barrels.

For a little more money, you could purchase an AR10A/B Carbine from Armalite and you would have a fine rifle indeed. For ~$2500 or so, you could get a LaRue OBR or PredatAR, as well as an LMT MWS.

It all comes down to what your wallet can stand.

Also in the same price range is the Bushmaster ORC .308. DPMS and Bushmaster (As well as Remington) are owned by the same parent company, The Freedom Group, so their products are nigh on identical, though I think that Bushmaster's come with CL barrels.

For a little more money, you could purchase an AR10A/B Carbine from Armalite and you would have a fine rifle indeed. For ~$2500 or so, you could get a LaRue OBR or PredatAR, as well as an LMT MWS.

It all comes down to what your wallet can stand.

Gotta agree with this post .

"The best .308 for the money" is relative as to who is spending the money. I chose the POF p308 as the best .308 for MY money but if you're on a tighter budget, the DPMS LR-308 would be the best entry level .308 out of the box as they've been known to be sub moa shooters out of the box.

There are a couple guys here now with the Bushmaster MOE - check out the Bushmaster sub-section under the DPMS primary section; pics and writeups are in there.  <thumbsup>

That's a good rifle, not that the other you listed isn't, of course. 

• 1 month later...

"The best .308 for the money" is relative as to who is spending the money. I chose the POF p308 as the best .308 for MY money but if you're on a tighter budget, the DPMS LR-308 would be the best entry level .308 out of the box as they've been known to be sub moa shooters out of the box.

agree with this....'for the money' implies a budget constraint, if so, dpms lr-308b as it's got the same barrel as the dpms sass.  These rifles do indeed get good reviews for accuracy and are inexpensive enough that you can get a good trigger and a scope for what the mws and obr would alone cost you.

imo

Going for heavy metal in .308 at a 3-gun match?  Not only is it going to cost you for the rifle, but ammo's gonna get you too. 

I'm happy with my DPMS LR-308, but only after many mods.  I started with the base model and have changed almost everything except the upper, lower and BCG.  The factory trigger was awful and the factory 24" bull barrel was inconsistent.  It's taken a long time to get it to where I want, but I'm quite pleased now.  I'd like to try it in a 3-gun match, but my scope just isn't suited for it.  Good luck with your decision and have fun at the matches.

Thanks for all the resopnses.  I think I have it narrowed down to the Bushmaster MOE or Dpms Mark 12.  Anybody have any experience with either of these models?

I have a Bushy MOE and am very please with it.

I've shot about 300 rounds so far completely flawless,

and accurate out of the box. 

It was also very affordable and nicely put together.  If you do get a

Bushy/DPMS, run it really wet when first starting out.

Good Luck!