• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

18" vs 20"

Blazer11

• 3 weeks later...
Another to consider is that a 20" barrel will likely take a rifle length gas system, a 18" will likely take a mid-length and a 16" will take a carbine length gas system.  There are some advantages to the longer gas system.

I was gonna say - that might be the case with 5.56 barrels, but it's not the case with the .308 barrels.

• 1 year later...

I personally went with a 20", rifle gas for my build...  A 18" would be ideal for my build parameters, but that configuration was not offered in the barrel I wanted.  Nothing that a little cut, crown and thread can't cure somewhere down the road.

This original post went silent on 19 Nov 2012.  Some newb awakened it on 3 Mar 2013, as his first post, and he was last seen here on:

Last Active Apr 09 2013 09:17 PM

He didn’t stick around. 

That ran for a few more days, until 22 Mar 2013.

…You just twice-awakened a dead post, 21 months later than last post.

People, please read the date/time stamp on what you’re replying to.  If you have a question about an old-a$s post, then ask your question in a new thread, and link the old post.

In the voice of my ex-wife, and in the voice of my HAPPILY, RECENTLY DISMISSED Ex-GF…

“WHY are you ALWAYS bringing up old $hit?!!?”

moose-hunter, learn from this.  Please.

Everyone else...  learn from this.  Please.

I have my moments...  I also read this thread from the beginning, like I was reading it for the first time.  The whole time, I'm thinking dejavu...  <lmao>

Seen this $hit before somewhere, and...  GOT IT! 

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok,so your going to use this as a hunting rifle.

1.is this going to be used walk hunting long distances,or are you to be driven by vehicle to your area and staying near the vehicle?

2.how old are you and how good a shape are you in? any disabilities?

3.do you have a chronograph and the ability to load your own ammo?

if walk hunting,16-18 should be sufficient,and as light as possible.light weight match grade barrels will work fine as you will be shooting from a cold barrel setup.fluted may add stiffness.you also have to figure in optics weight.keeping it as light as possible leaves more room for rations.you have the ability to make up different barreled uppers for different scenarios.

with the chronograph and an adjustable gas block,you could up make your speed loss by custom making your ammo  to fit barrrel length.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A0LEVvrlIyxV5WkAtycPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?p=16+inch+barrel+at+1000+yards+youtube&tnr=21&vid=BAA4E76276F6ED70F80FBAA4E76276F6ED70F80F&l=102&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN.jJWk9QGlD8cxEoi2yOmBRA%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=11vsu3tm4&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwTXEptIOhiA&sigr=11bali372&tt=b&tit=16.5%26quot%3B+Remington+700+.308+%40+1000+yards%2C+Ms.+Surgical+Precision&sigt=122hs4i23&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3D16%2Binch%2Bbarel%2Bat%2B1000%2Byards%2Byou%2Btube%26type%3Datt_pc_homerun_portal%26hsimp%3Dyhs-att_001%26hspart%3Datt%26ei%3DUTF-8&sigb=14bklthot&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001 16.5 inch at 1k yards

Edited by dprice38444

• 2 months later...

The 308 out of a 24" or longer barrel is just a marginal 1K gun, with 16" to 20" barrels it's a 600yrd to 800yrd gun. It's best no matter what caliber you are shooting to keep the bullets above transonic, and it's hard to that with a short barreled 308. The top shooters can make the 308 shoot well past 1K, but I don't think the average guy can.

The 308 out of a 24" or longer barrel is just a marginal 1K gun, with 16" to 20" barrels it's a 600yrd to 800yrd gun. It's best no matter what caliber you are shooting to keep the bullets above transonic, and it's hard to that with a short barreled 308. The top shooters can make the 308 shoot well past 1K, but I don't think the average guy can.

What grain of bullet will hit at 1K, being fired by the above-average shooter?  What is the average weight bullet used for such ranges, if there is any average weight?