• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

2,000 yards is in the books, men!

98Z5V

I’m glad you all are thinking about me 😉

That’s very impressive. I hope to try it out this year. You guys are crushing these distance shots. Just read about a record breaking long distance shot recently. Don’t think it’s brand new…wanna say 2022. 

When I do get out there and cold bore shoot that mofo, make sure @JBMatt is behind me recording so he can’t call BS 

giphy.gif

Edited by jrtmasp

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jrtmasp said:

When I do get out there and cold bore shoot that mofo, make sure @JBMatt is behind me recording so he can’t call BS 

Positively. For the record, Matt doesn't like it when people cold-bore long shots...   :laffs::hornet:

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Positively. For the record, Matt doesn't like it when people cold-bore long shots...   :laffs::hornet:

If any one of you gets up and cold bores the 2K, I'm sellin ALL my shiit!  :lmao:  And you'll owe me a beer.

1 hour ago, jrtmasp said:

I’m jealous. Maybe it’s best I don’t live over there. I’d be broke from ammo purchases.

And spotting scopes, badass binos, expensive tripods, chronographs, scope mounts, range finders, target hit indicators...

It's endless, brother.  "Condition," or "affliction," or "addiction..."  Fuk it, it's all the same thing.  :laffs:

Real Long Range is addicting. Once you get this one, and keep getting it...you just want more.  We're already looking beyond 2k, trying to figure out the next one.  Something will hold us back - either projectile or caliber, being able to observe the shot...  Glass...   something.  Then, we'll fix that and move on...   I  think we can pull 2300 yards if we shoot from the 450 target, or around there.  That's a HUGE jump.  I think the only gun here that will make that one is the .375 CheyTac.

I need a fukkin' .338 Lapua, bad...   :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

@JBMatt hit today on shot #3 (new record for us), and Shot #5.  2 hits in the same mag.  We are pushing the .300 Win Mag cartridge about as hard as it can be pushed. Blowing up brass, one case-head separation today  just about ended the weekend, but we got it out of the barrel.  Then, went onto that "2 hits, one mag" scenario.

We're running the very limits of this platform, for sure.  It'll get stretched a little further, though. Absolutely. 

My excitement for this distance is coming up in about 5 weeks.  The Win Mag is proven.  in about 5 weeks, we'll get to see two new Mile Guns (last November) run this one - the 6.5 PRC and 6.5x284 Norma.  If we're lucky, we'll get to see the .300 PRC run it, too.   I'm ALL jazzed up to see if we can get these cartridges out there on steel, after getting them to 1,760 yards successfully.   :hail:

@Matt.Cross...   Just to let you know, brother...

@JBMatt switched out his scope on his Win Mag, sometime in the last 2 weeks. He  shows up yesterday, and there's a damn MOA scope on the thing...  Now, we already SHOT2k yards with this gun, AND HE CHANGES IT UP?!!? TO MOA?!!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!?

He has a real reason for doing that, but I was initially, THOROUGHLY convinced that the only reason was to piss me off...  :lmao:

After awhile, as his spotter, I got used to calling it for him.  He'd give me some weird number that he was seeing, so I'd just give him some other weird number back. 

Eventually, by the end of the day, it all worked out...  :laffs:

On 2/4/2024 at 10:28 PM, 98Z5V said:

:lmao:  Most times, it's a little more than that...  :laffs:

Oh, I freely admit that you occasionally give really useful and succinct feedback, gems like: 

"You missed. Try harder!" *laughing*

or

"You scared him!"

or

"Go half a hectare left and up by .100 fathoms."

:laffs:

In all serious business,  @JBMatt and I work well in shooting - doesn't matter who is shooting or spotting. scope doesn't really matter in MIL or MOA. It's just time on the gun, and time on the glass, looking at the same target.  We've been shooting these matches together for coming up on 4 years.  Over time, I don't really get to spot for him in a stage, because I've roped myself into running the stages as a "Squad Mom."  Alot of times, I don't get him spotting for me, because we sign up at about the same exact time, so we are about 2 shooters apart in firing order.  We usually work it out, if it's a tough-ish stage, I'll have someone else run the timer and/or scorepad to spot him - and same with him...  He'll grab his gun and mag, next up, get on glass, spot me shooting, and be the next guy up in the firing order.

Most of the time, after the match, we get Bloody Marys and Burgers, and bitch about how sorry the spotters for this match were...   For real...   :lmao:

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

My excitement for this distance is coming up in about 5 weeks.  The Win Mag is proven.  in about 5 weeks, we'll get to see two new Mile Guns (last November) run this one - the 6.5 PRC and 6.5x284 Norma.  If we're lucky, we'll get to see the .300 PRC run it, too.   I'm ALL jazzed up to see if we can get these cartridges out there on steel, after getting them to 1,760 yards successfully.   :hail:

Excitement ramping up here to. I also want to check out the 300PRC but all this talk has me looking at the 7mmPRC again( what I wanted originally and now becoming availible up here) 

The 7PRC shoots flatter than the 300PRC and factoryammo numbers at 2K is doing 1210fps,20.2 mil adjustment(100yd zero) 

The 7s are badass, brother, especially with the heavies, like the 175s.  That's the whole reason I built up a 7mm-08 upper - just to run those badass 7mm 175s...  Gonna SMOKE my .260 Rem - and it's very, very painful to say that...  

I'm on your side with this, Eric - DO IT, brother!...   :banana:

@Cunuckgaucho  I approve of 7PRC, for sure!  I don't have much experience with 7mm projectiles, but all the math I've seen there's a strong argument that its the "perfect" bullet.  I have a 33" barrel blank in 7mm that I'm trying to figure out what I want to have it chambered in.  7PRC is on my short list along with 7 SAUM and 7 WSM.  Build that thing and help me make up my mind! :hornet:

I have 2,217 yards mapped out, and the location will be easy, from the 2,000 yard position. 

Time to push, test limits.

We're shooting 1.14 miles. 2006.4 yards.  In this pic below, the current firing position and new platform is just short of the 1.15 mile mark on that trajectory line.  We can push further back that ridge, keep the same target, and run more. I have the 1.26 mile position as the stop-point on this trial-and-error test.  I think we've actually shot from further up that ridge before, on decent flat-ish spots.

Here's 2,217 yards...

2200yardshot.thumb.jpg.59c5e8ef58ae95a5323455b4778f6d13.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

If we can make a shot from the natural shelf where we put the 609 target, it's 1.37 miles, or 2411 yards...

I'm just sayin'... 

Trajectory of the projectile is almost 100 yards south of the camp location, so it's still a safe shot.

Shotfromthe609shelf.thumb.jpg.7e272b1769e1ac8bed8986afa0f7ede0.jpg