• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

2,000 yards is in the books, men!

98Z5V

4 hours ago, BigNate said:

I've been watching the Johnny Reloads videos and had recently watched his .300WM series.   He was shooting the 220gr SMKs and the 240gr SMKs through a 1:10 twist barrel.  He noted the 1:9 warning on the 240s but found a bunch of info indicating that they actually stabilize nicely out of 1:10.   He tests them through his gun / with his suppressor.   Agreed - that a baffle strike is a bad thing... but maybe you put a few through it without the suppressor and ensure that you don't have issues?  Just food for thought... 

A couple of things to take into consideration for me, is that to bump up by a very small amount on the BC with the 230's or 240's from the 225's, the bullets are 2x the money.  $48/box of 100 Hornady's 225's, or $42 for a box of 50 Sierras or $97 for Bergers.  So there's that.  I'll just dip my toe in for now and see how these run.  Plus, only going up 5 gr on bullet weight I don't have to change my powder load or seating depth but just a little bit.  Going with a much heavier bullet would require more extensive development, and possibly a powder change.  I don't wanna.  Lol.  At least not right now.

Edited by JBMatt

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, JBMatt said:

Even though the exact details of @98Z5V account are based in reality, they're slightly skewed, but we'll call it close enough.  :hornet: 

I'm sticking to my story as 100% accurate, and then some...   :lmao:

I really liked your writeup, by far.  Your ability to be Loquacious is amazing, and I commend you for that skill, brother.  When I give a class on something, always militarily, I find out in the class AAR's that I'm more like Clint Smith, and that might not go well with all audiences.  For the record, I want to hire you to be my Official Translator, in order to offend less people in the long run, in larger audiences...   For real here...  :hail:

What you said was on point.  I could never EVER imagined getting two new Long Distance people, Karen and Jen, on target at 2,000 yards, with the very few trigger-pulls that they did it in.  Never would have imagined it possible.  Ever.  But, they did it.  That comes from the gun, mainly, because it seriously needs to be set up to do that, the ammo, another mainly, because we saw some factory ammo that couldn't connect (Gun Pusher John's 200gr match ammo), and it comes from the background of what we've already shown those two.  Jen has been shooting the Accurized AR Match for a couple years, and been shooting with us in the desert for more years than that.  She's eager to learn, and soaks it up like a sponge.  Karen, on the other hand, hasn't been shooting rifle that long, and she's The Shocker in this one.  She picks up shiit SO FAST it's not even funny.  She watches, listens, applies, and executes...  what you state.  And she crushes it.  Due, directly to that.  She takes instruction well, applies it, and performs it.  When it doesn't work exactly as planned, she asks what happened, and she receives the critique professionally, makes changes, re-applies, and smashes it after that.  She's a different animal, brother.  She's a fuckin' Sniper-In-Training, right there. 

So, on that note, I want you to stop giving her guidance.  If you continue to give her guidance, training, and help - she's gonna SMOKE BOTH OUR ASSES in just a few matches from now...   :laffs:

I'm just sayin'...   :popcorn:

1 hour ago, JBMatt said:

A couple of things to take into consideration for me, is that to bump up by a very small amount on the BC with the 230's or 240's from the 225's, the bullets are 2x the money.  $48/box of 100 Hornady's 225's, or $42 for a box of 50 Sierras or $97 for Bergers.  So there's that.

I remember telling you about the 225 ELD-Ms when I started this .300 Win Mag journey.  I remember it specifically.  You went with the 220 ELD-Xs, and said that the jump in BC to the 225s wouldn't matter that much. 

The difference between the two is 'UGE (Donald Trump term).  You remember that conversation, right? 

Asking for a friend...   :thumbup:

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You remember that conversation, right? 

I do.  But unlike you, I'm stubborn. :laffs:  And its a challenge to do more, with less.  Now I need a lil help.  I've found the limits of that bullet.  It's very accurate and it'll go 2K, sorta.  At the time I didn't think there would be that big of a difference, cuz I didn't know what I didn't know.  Plus, I was already invested in boxes of bullets and time/energy into that load.  It works awesome.  Sub 3/4" groups at 100 with a 300 Win Mag is cool. 

I certainly hope those 225's will fly straight, otherwise this is gonna get spendy.

19 minutes ago, JBMatt said:

I do.  But unlike you, I'm stubborn. :laffs:  And its a challenge to do more, with less.  Now I need a lil help.  I've found the limits of that bullet.  It's very accurate and it'll go 2K, sorta.  At the time I didn't think there would be that big of a difference, cuz I didn't know what I didn't know.  Plus, I was already invested in boxes of bullets and time/energy into that load.  It works awesome.  Sub 3/4" groups at 100 with a 300 Win Mag is cool. 

I certainly hope those 225's will fly straight, otherwise this is gonna get spendy.

I feel your pain the last two years working up and finding the load for the 6.5 x284 has been spendy shooting Berger bullets is spendy but I have to admit for Long range they are the bomb after all 10 thousand F class shooters can't be wrong. I found the key to all of this is keeping the round count as low as you can and still have the fun you want. I will be really interested to see how my 140 grain bullets preform at 2 K my velocity of 2995 and BC G1 of 607 in a 140 grain bullet should work fine but that is 80 grains less bullet than you guys are shooting so a hummingbird near the target can fart and push it left or right ...

I think we are starting to get to the distance of needing a new critter something like the 7mm STW with 180 grain Bergers or a 338 Edge or a 338 Lapua 2 K is out there But just for inspiration lets watch this guy Crush 3K  !!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Magwa said:

I think we are starting to get to the distance of needing a new critter something like the 7mm STW with 180 grain Bergers or a 338 Edge or a 338 Lapua 2 K is out there But just for inspiration lets watch this guy Crush 3K  !!!!!!!

I have an F-Class barrel with a .284 bore.  I'd really like to turn it into a big 7mm long range something.  Now I all I need is everything else!  

I shot a 338 Edge in Utah a few years ago.  The 30" circle at a mile was boring.  That's a bad mofo.

Just now, JBMatt said:

I have an F-Class barrel with a .284 bore.  I'd really like to turn it into a big 7mm long range something.  Now I all I need is everything else!  

I shot a 338 Edge in Utah a few years ago.  The 30" circle at a mile was boring.  That's a bad mofo.

Yes it is a bad SOB but to build one is a speny endeavor.. and to load for it is well more than I can afford But I just want to get better within the range we can play in and that sounds like around 2 K but from 1k to 2 K is a lot of play ground to get good at ...within our budgets at least...

19 minutes ago, Magwa said:

Yes it is a bad SOB but to build one is a speny endeavor.. and to load for it is well more than I can afford But I just want to get better within the range we can play in and that sounds like around 2 K but from 1k to 2 K is a lot of play ground to get good at ...within our budgets at least...

All this talk of "expensive" .30 cal and .338 stuff... makes me chuckle as I think about the relative meaning of the word "expensive" while thinking back on daydreams about "someday" building a.375 or .408 CheyTac.  Of course, this is just about the same as daydreaming about buying a Top Fuel dragster (if you don't know - look up "first top fuel experience" on youtube) because I drag-raced my 350HP 14 second Nova when I was a teenager and I'm working on a project car that I expect will be a 750HP 10 second street car...   🙂

Edited by BigNate

39 minutes ago, BigNate said:

makes me chuckle as I think about the relative meaning of the word "expensive"

True, very true.  It's all relative.  A fully set up Cheytac ready to go with a few hundred rounds would buy the engine in your car.  Maybe.  Lol.

5 hours ago, BigNate said:

building a.375 or .408 CheyTac. 

4 hours ago, JBMatt said:

A fully set up Cheytac ready to go with a few hundred rounds would buy the engine in your car.

This is funny, because Matt and I know where there is a fully built .375 CheyTac with glass, 70 MOA built into the base, and 100 rounds of ammo...   Right now...

...just sitting in Gun Pusher John's gunsafe at home...

23 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

This is funny, because Matt and I know where there is a fully built .375 CheyTac with glass, 70 MOA built into the base, and 100 rounds of ammo...   Right now...

...just sitting in Gun Pusher John's gunsafe at home...

I still don't believe it exists.  Never seen it.  Only heard of it.

13 hours ago, Magwa said:

I feel your pain the last two years working up and finding the load for the 6.5 x284 has been spendy shooting Berger bullets is spendy but I have to admit for Long range they are the bomb after all 10 thousand F class shooters can't be wrong. I found the key to all of this is keeping the round count as low as you can and still have the fun you want. I will be really interested to see how my 140 grain bullets preform at 2 K my velocity of 2995 and BC G1 of 607 in a 140 grain bullet should work fine but that is 80 grains less bullet than you guys are shooting so a hummingbird near the target can fart and push it left or right ...

I have a bro with a 7mm stw. That rifle is a thumper!

Seems I should definitely shoot the 338lpm next time! Factory ammo though. I had it in the case just didn't get it out. 

8 hours ago, JBMatt said:

I still don't believe it exists.  Never seen it.  Only heard of it.

That's why we REALLY need to put the pressure on him.  Hard.  He already fucked up with his .300 Win Mag, and was the only one that shot that day that didn't hit 2k.  He obviously needs more hardware to do this...  :laffs: 

1 hour ago, sketch said:

I have a bro with a 7mm stw. That rifle is a thumper!

Seems I should definitely shoot the 338lpm next time! Factory ammo though. I had it in the case just didn't get it out. 

There's a Barrett MRAD in .338 LM on my horizon.  This is getting serious now...   :hail:

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

There's a Barrett MRAD in .338 LM on my horizon.  This is getting serious now...   :hail:

Mine needs to make the journey back out there. She may be making the trip for the fall shoot this year. Plus, I've got the conversion kit for her so that she can do either 338LM or 300 Winmag.

On paper the 6.5PRC gets out there doing just over 1000fps and looking at approximately 24mils of drop but as they say... the proof is in the pudding.

Picked up 200 bulllets(Hornady 6.5MM 147GR) and a couple pounds of H1000 this morning. 

We'll see how the 147s work,seems Berger makes a 153.5 long range hybrid but it'sa matter of finding some to try out.

9 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

On paper the 6.5PRC gets out there doing just over 1000fps and looking at approximately 24mils of drop but as they say... the proof is in the pudding.

Picked up 200 bulllets(Hornady 6.5MM 147GR) and a couple pounds of H1000 this morning. 

We'll see how the 147s work,seems Berger makes a 153.5 long range hybrid but it'sa matter of finding some to try out.

I get there just under 1000 at 990..... but the important part is we get there ...

Those are both dropping down through the transonic barrier, speed of sound is 1134 fps.  They're gonna shake a little when they cross that threshold. 

The actual speed of sound is a flexible number based on atmospherics, and it can change slightly, but it doesn't change radically.  It'll always be near that number somewhere.

Try to find out what distance they are at when they are 1134 fps - that'll give you an idea of how much of a fight it's gonna be to hit 2k.  Matt's 220 ELD-Xs were flying 900 fps at 2k.  Hit okay on Saturday, came in sideways on Sunday.

I've stated that a Barrett MRAD is in my future.  I just didn't state which MRAD...  

The Barrett MRADELR gets announced at SHOT Show on Tuesday.  Details here:

https://www.athlonoutdoors.com/article/barrett-mradelr/?vgo_ee=dLRSyC3qmFjCAK99wmrsU810JxYzQYPkfxvwWEo%2FVnio623zpkI%3D%3AySom3EdeRRiFREuFQIJm2ghZsEEHXoQ7

We'll get the distance Mike, it's just seeing if they land where we need them to land.

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Try to find out what distance they are at when they are 1134 fps - that'll give you an idea of how much of a fight it's gonna be to hit 2k.  Matt's 220 ELD-Xs were flying 900 fps at 2k.  Hit okay on Saturday, came in sideways on Sunday.

For me it's going to cross around the 1800yd mark. 

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I've stated that a Barrett MRAD is in my future.  I just didn't state which MRAD...  

The Barrett MRADELR gets announced at SHOT Show on Tuesday.  Details here:

https://www.athlonoutdoors.com/article/barrett-mradelr/?vgo_ee=dLRSyC3qmFjCAK99wmrsU810JxYzQYPkfxvwWEo%2FVnio623zpkI%3D%3AySom3EdeRRiFREuFQIJm2ghZsEEHXoQ7

So what is the going rate on the market for a used kidney theses days?

It won't matter. Not for this.  Not anymore. 

We're WAY past the "Go Big Or Go Home" comments from haters, just from pulling this one off.  They can all eat a dick, or they can put up and we'll then shut up.  I don't suspect that will happen anytime soon, so this is for them, right here...

EATADICK2021_BoxOpenedView_1_800x_800x_146b076b-8f21-494d-8df5-dbf00e793248_600x.webp.579bc55aa0cad210a905689c55b7e28b.webp

Next up, is finding longer range, and we're already working in it.  With the amount of people that hit 1760 yards at Fall Shoot, we had so do something.  2k was the answer, and that's different, but not unobtainable - we did it on the first try, where we tried it.  Something big is coming.  Something Looooong. 

2.3k, 2.5k, something else is coming.  We just need to figure it out down here. 

I'm down for 2 miles.  3520 yards.  Now, there's a gun right from the factory that will do that?  I'm in.  I already have the distance to set all this up. 

I think me and @JBMatt are about to get into alot more shiit than we've been into before.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/07/05/what-the-pros-use-king-2-miles-edition/

We'll find more out here, but it's something that you guys even haven't done yet, but will - you'll get your shot at 2k yards.  We're already looking past that, now.  More distance.  We'll need more gun.  We're pushing the .300 Win Mag about as far as it can go, already, but we'll stretch it a little more.  Everything we can within it's limits, and a little beyond.

More gun.  Need more gun.  My Win Mag handload is supersonic to 1825 yards, and 1035fps at 2000 yards.  What we shot from Matt's gun was 900fps at 2000 yards.  My load will do better, and go further.  If I can run my load to 900fps at target, that will be beyond 2500 yards.  There's that much of a difference. 

I need him to stop pussyfooting around with his Win Mag handloads, so we can get some real work done...   :lmao:

I already have two hills mapped out, one valley west of us.  They are just south of the Dillon Range, but in the same valley.  Those two hills are 3500 yards apart.  Shoot hill-to-hill, and we'll get some 2-miles out of it, just on target placement. 

We just need more gun.  That physical recon of the 2-mile area was done more than 2 years ago... 

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It won't matter. Not for this.  Not anymore. 

We're WAY past the "Go Big Or Go Home" comments from haters, just from pulling this one off.  They can all eat a dick, or they can put up and we'll then shut up.  I don't suspect that will happen anytime soon, so this is for them, right here...

EATADICK2021_BoxOpenedView_1_800x_800x_146b076b-8f21-494d-8df5-dbf00e793248_600x.webp.579bc55aa0cad210a905689c55b7e28b.webp

Next up, is finding longer range, and we're already working in it.  With the amount of people that hit 1760 yards at Fall Shoot, we had so do something.  2k was the answer, and that's different, but not unobtainable - we did it on the first try, where we tried it.  Something big is coming.  Something Looooong. 

2.3k, 2.5k, something else is coming.  We just need to figure it out down here. 

I'm down for 2 miles.  3520 yards.  Now, there's a gun right from the factory that will do that?  I'm in.  I already have the distance to set all this up. 

I think me and @JBMatt are about to get into alot more shiit than we've been into before.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/07/05/what-the-pros-use-king-2-miles-edition/

We'll find more out here, but it's something that you guys even haven't done yet, but will - you'll get your shot at 2k yards.  We're already looking past that, now.  More distance.  We'll need more gun.  We're pushing the .300 Win Mag about as far as it can go, already, but we'll stretch it a little more.  Everything we can within it's limits, and a little beyond.

More gun.  Need more gun.  My Win Mag handload is supersonic to 1825 yards, and 1035fps at 2000 yards.  What we shot from Matt's gun was 900fps at 2000 yards.  My load will do better, and go further.  If I can run my load to 900fps at target, that will be beyond 2500 yards.  There's that much of a difference. 

I need him to stop pussyfooting around with his Win Mag handloads, so we can get some real work done...   :lmao:

I already have two hills mapped out, one valley west of us.  They are just south of the Dillon Range, but in the same valley.  Those two hills are 3500 yards apart.  Shoot hill-to-hill, and we'll get some 2-miles out of it, just on target placement. 

We just need more gun.  That physical recon of the 2-mile area was done more than 2 years ago... 

WOW! things are escalating quickly... gonna be fun to watch...

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

If you're gonna sponsor me for all the extra equipment needed to go past where we are now, I'm in.  If not, we'll just have fun at 2K for a while.  Lol

10 minutes ago, JBMatt said:

If you're gonna sponsor me for all the extra equipment needed to go past where we are now, I'm in.  If not, we'll just have fun at 2K for a while.  Lol

There is a lot to be said about that , the sandbox is still a great place to play out to 2 k just change the size of the targets and create more ways to play with the toys we have now I know with both Deb and I retired and on fixed income I can not afford a new rifle system and all that equipment that it entails. BUT if we can get sponsors maybe we can create a 308AR.com Team .....