98Z5V

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, JBMatt said:

If you're gonna sponsor me for all the extra equipment needed to go past where we are now, I'm in.  If not, we'll just have fun at 2K for a while.  Lol

I'm gonna get my hands on a Barret MRAD in .338 LM, and it'll be sometime before 2025 starts the new year.  So, now you'll have a gun to shoot.  How much further does this "sponsorship" that you speak of need to go?...   :popcorn:

Question. My Arken is maxed out of elevation and still about 2.5 mils short at a mile. I was holding just over the top of the target. I have a 20moa scope base now. Will a 40moa scope base give me enough elevation or do I get them to make me a 50 moa base.

EGW will make a 50 moa base and has 40 moa bases in stock.

38 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Question. My Arken is maxed out of elevation and still about 2.5 mils short at a mile. I was holding just over the top of the target. I have a 20moa scope base now. Will a 40moa scope base give me enough elevation or do I get them to make me a 50 moa base.

I'm running a 20 MOA base and 40 MOA built into the rings while still maintaining a 100 yd zero.  Dialing at a mile is no problem.  At 2K I was dialing 29 MILS and holding 4 over.  The Arken has almost 31 MILS dialing capability.  With 100 yd zero and all the stuff, I can dial about 29.3 MILS.  Anything more built in and I won't be able to keep my 100 yd zero.

On 1/18/2024 at 6:46 AM, Magwa said:

Yes it is a bad SOB but to build one is a speny endeavor.. and to load for it is well more than I can afford But I just want to get better within the range we can play in and that sounds like around 2 K but from 1k to 2 K is a lot of play ground to get good at ...within our budgets at least...

Agree, I have a ways to go. Even though I hit the land mile, I need to be able hit it on a consistant basis. Playing out to 2k gives me a lot to work with to develop my game.

For economics and practice with easier availible ranges,looking at .22 ELR. 

3 hours ago, shooterrex said:

For this one, what Matt said above is spot on.  I have an EGW 30 MOA base on mine, and because of that, the shortest I can zero is 500 yards.  That's as far down as my scope will dial.  On the flip side, having a 500 yard zero isn't that bad, with proper dope on the cartridge/load, and I can hold under for shorter shots.  Hold under 2.4 mils and that's 100 yards. 

The HUGE plus side of that 30 MOA base and 500 yard zero - I dial 16.9 mils for the mile shot. 

3 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Here's the direct way to calculate that one, Rex -

Every 10 MOA in a base is gonna directly equal 10.47".  Divide that by 3.6 (3.6" is one full Mil) and you'll get 2.901944. 

You have 20 MOA now.  You had to hold 2.5 mils in your scope.  Going to a 30 MOA base will give you another 2.9 mils of dial.  So, you'd be able to dial one mile then, without very much left over.  You might lose your hundred-yard zero.  If you went 40 MOA base, that will allow you to dial another 5.8 mils in your scope from where it is right now, but you are pretty certainly gonna lose that hundred yard zero.  One way to check that is to dial down as far as you can, below your hundred yard zero right now, and see how much down travel the scope has, as it is right now. If you have a zero-stop set, loosen that thing up, dial down under your zero now, check it, and you can always reset the zero-stop again later.

11 hours ago, JBMatt said:

I'm running a 20 MOA base and 40 MOA built into the rings while still maintaining a 100 yd zero.  Dialing at a mile is no problem.  At 2K I was dialing 29 MILS and holding 4 over.  The Arken has almost 31 MILS dialing capability.  With 100 yd zero and all the stuff, I can dial about 29.3 MILS.  Anything more built in and I won't be able to keep my 100 yd zero.

OK we have the same setup except rings. I'll order the 50moa scope base and still be a bit short dialing 2k.

13 hours ago, shooterrex said:

OK we have the same setup except rings. I'll order the 50moa scope base and still be a bit short dialing 2k.

Have you dialed under yet, to see how much more you can go under, in the setup you have now?

Run numbers, brother.  See where you are.

This isn't anything more than a math problem.  Literally. 

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Have you dialed under yet, to see how much more you can go under, in the setup you have now?

Run numbers, brother.  See where you are.

This isn't anything more than a math problem.  Literally. 

I have the same rifle and scope as jbMatt.

The only difference is his rings have moa built in that mine doesn't. 

I am shooting different ammo. W/a BC of.611

Edited by shooterrex

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

The G1 BC of the bullet he's going to - and should have been shooting from all along it .777. 

That's all Kool and the Gang, all the same hardware checking out, and all that, but checking the travel that you have right now is kinda of imperative.  Not something to blow off, just based on other stuff that someone else has.

Measure your shiit, brother, and see where you are.  Know what you have.  Don't base it off what someone else has.  Measure your own gun, man. 

Not trying to sound like a COMPLETE dickhead - but his gun isn't YOUR gun, and all the same hardware doesn't directly equate to the same output, on the end of all this. 

This morphed from 1760 yards to 2000 yards, and from what's been observed already, those two games are vastly different. 

Just check your scope, Rex, see what down-travel you have now, and see what you have. 

Asking for a friend...  

You can be stubborn about this, and think it's all the same. 

We'll spot the shots, call the misses and corrections.  we'll call the hits, too, when they happen.

I'm not trying to make this hard - just trying to get you prepped, and have you leave happy - not disappointed.

Success is the end of the game, in this one. 

9 hours ago, shooterrex said:

My curiosity got the best of me, so I double checked my base and I'm actually running the EGW 30 MOA.  I'm pretty sure I have 40 MOA built into the Burris rings.

I've been running the 220 gr Hornady ELD-X.  BC is .654 on that one.  Everything has been real happy out to a mile along with consistently printing .75" groups and under @ 100.  I'm now going up to the 225 gr ELD-M with a .777 BC.  That 220 was becoming very unstable @ 2K yds.  

Any BC and weight less than what I've been running is going to make the job much more difficult to reach out past a mile.  If that's what you want to be able to do, don't handicap yourself like I was.  At this point, if you're going to develop a new load, might want to give yourself the best opportunity for success.  Just my 2 pennies worth.

1 hour ago, Magwa said:

If I had a 300 Win I would be shooting this bullet right here

https://bergerbullets.com/product/30-caliber-245-grain-long-range-hybrid-target-rifle-bullet/

with a G7 form factor of 893 you will be good as far as your rifle can spit that thing.....

$1.00 ea and out of stock everywhere.  Calls for 1:9 twist.  I'm factory 1:10. 

Need. Sponsorship.  :laffs:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025840877?pid=700533

Edited by JBMatt

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

So if I understand the numbers right I can go to a 50moa base and still have a 100 yd zero.

Sounds like you'll be in the ballpark. I have just barely over a MIL left of down travel when zeroed at 100. 29+ of up travel. 

5 hours ago, JBMatt said:

$1.00 ea and out of stock everywhere.  Calls for 1:9 twist.  I'm factory 1:10. 

Need. Sponsorship.  :laffs:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025840877?pid=700533

yes we do ,Mile high shooting in Denver had those bullets two days ago..... a 1.00 appiece best money you will ever spend I pay about 60 cents a bullet for my little 140's

10 hours ago, shooterrex said:

I can go down 11.6 mils to the bottom.

Looks good for the increase in the base, brother.  The internal travel is there in the scope.  It'll be close, but it'll probably go, and keep the 100 zero. 

I need to stop reading this thread... my wallet is already angry at me after the 8.6 build (and suppressor and dies and bullets and powder and...) and now I hear the faint call of a .300 Norma build whispering, telling me that I need to start bringing it into existence... 😛

Edited by BigNate

7 hours ago, BigNate said:

I need to stop reading this thread... my wallet is already angry at me after the 8.6 build (and suppressor and dies and bullets and powder and...) and now I hear the faint call of a .300 Norma build whispering, telling me that I need to start bringing it into existence... 😛

Eh, it's okay, Nate, you can shoot someone else's gun...    :popcorn:

I'm just sayin'...   :laffs:

48 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Eh, it's okay, Nate, you can shoot someone else's gun...    :popcorn:

I'm just sayin'...   :laffs:

You just told him that he could screw the head cheerleader with someone else's dick. :lmao:. It's still a thrill, but somehow not as satisfying.

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

You just told him that he could screw the head cheerleader with someone else's dick. :lmao:. It's still a thrill, but somehow not as satisfying.

It's a trap, Doc - roll with it...    :laffs:

Enablers are just going to Enable it is what they do , traps, sneaky ways, end around's, and tricks it is all fair you just have to navigate the waters. I am a slow learner and getting better at enabling BUT! I will never reach the heights of the masters on this board!