• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

2,000 yards is in the books, men!

98Z5V

11 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

You just told him that he could screw the head cheerleader with someone else's dick. :lmao:. It's still a thrill, but somehow not as satisfying.

Not to mention that the other fella may not take kindly to having his pecker borrowed... 😛

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, BigNate said:

Not to mention that the other fella may not take kindly to having his pecker borrowed... 😛

For real, Nate - don't build a gun yet.  We have a guy with a 300 PRC, and he'll let you shoot it.  Try the thing first, see if that's what you're after, then make the decision on buying or building for that cartridge. 

First, we gotta get HIM to show up when we can get YOU to show up, but it shouldn't be too much of a coordination issue.  We solve problems, 'round here...   :laffs::thumbup:

On 1/26/2024 at 8:10 PM, 98Z5V said:

For real, Nate - don't build a gun yet.  We have a guy with a 300 PRC, and he'll let you shoot it.  Try the thing first, see if that's what you're after, then make the decision on buying or building for that cartridge. 

First, we gotta get HIM to show up when we can get YOU to show up, but it shouldn't be too much of a coordination issue.  We solve problems, 'round here...   :laffs::thumbup:

Looking forward to it... 

@JBMatt finalized his new .300 Win Mag loads today (I'm pretty sure he settled on the best one), so we'll be back out there this coming weekend, testing them out.  Gonna do some "site improvements" whilst dabbling with the Nautical Mile...   Pics to follow, once complete.   :thumbup:

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@JBMatt finalized his new .300 Win Mag loads today (I'm pretty sure he settled on the best one), so we'll be back out there this coming weekend, testing them out.  Gonna do some "site improvements" whilst dabbling with the Nautical Mile...   Pics to follow, once complete.   :thumbup:

Not quite finalized but good enough to get to 2K accurately and still flying straight.  Still need to do seating depth, but I did find the amount of powder that will try and blow the back of the case off.  I have a few cases that are now trash.  Lol.

Edited by JBMatt

On 1/30/2024 at 6:37 AM, JBMatt said:

Not quite finalized but good enough to get to 2K accurately and still flying straight.  Still need to do seating depth, but I did find the amount of powder that will try and blow the back of the case off.  I have a few cases that are now trash.  Lol.

Did you have any with a heavy bolt lift?, primers falling out or pierced? if not your cases just might be getting worn out... what powder?and bullet....

1 hour ago, Magwa said:

Did you have any with a heavy bolt lift?, primers falling out or pierced? if not your cases just might be getting worn out... what powder?and bullet....

Reloader 25 pushing a Hornady 225 ELDM.  I was watching the base of the case for pressure at every step.  Primers are good, no ejector swipes, no heavy bolt lift.  And then it started cracking cases trying to separate the head.  I've been using that 100 pieces for a little while now.  At least 6-8 firings.  Maybe more. I have 200 more that I'll draw out of to put this final load together.  I think you're right, that those cases have reached the end of their life through natural causes.  Maybe my sponsor can hook me up with some good brass in the future.  Lol

7 hours ago, JBMatt said:

Reloader 25 pushing a Hornady 225 ELDM.  I was watching the base of the case for pressure at every step.  Primers are good, no ejector swipes, no heavy bolt lift.  And then it started cracking cases trying to separate the head.  I've been using that 100 pieces for a little while now.  At least 6-8 firings.  Maybe more. I have 200 more that I'll draw out of to put this final load together.  I think you're right, that those cases have reached the end of their life through natural causes.  Maybe my sponsor can hook me up with some good brass in the future.  Lol

I will pass on your info to the big wigs at Lapua...... 6 to 8 firings in a 300 win mag yes I would replace them all at the same time start new....great powder bullet combo.....

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

I hope the barnes 220 gr will get there.

What Barnes 220gr are you  shooting, brother - I can't find a Barnes  220 in .30 Cal,  on their website.

11 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

20240202_102131.jpg

I looked em up and I think they'll do the mile no problem.  They have a BC of .611 running at 2730 so getting them to 2K can happen, but will most likely have the same situation I ran into with the 220 ELDX.  Similar BC and speed.

@98Z5V Here's Barnes listing

https://www.barnesbullets.com/product/precision-match/?attribute_pa_cartridge=300-win-mag&attribute_pa_bullet-weight-gr=220&attribute_pa_bullet-type=match-burner-otm-bt

Damn - I  was looking for the projectiles on their website, for reloading, and didn't see them.   I  looked in my Barnes Reloading Manual, and they didn't  include them.

I didn't look at what they had for loaded ammunition...   :bitchslap:

The .611 BC will be great, but these are gonna be different than the 220 ELD-X projectiles, because they're solid copper, which means they are gonna be longer projectiles, over "normal" 220s that  have lead inside them.

I  think these are gonna fly pretty good, and get some hits at 2k.  :thumbup:

If nothing else, it's gonna make one badass test!   :banana:

Example of what I'm saying -

5.56  stuff.  Projectile overall lengths.  Hornady 75gr HPBT Match, Sierra 77gr Match King, and the Barnes 70 TSX.

Hornady 75gr HPBT Match projectile is 0.981" long.

Sierra 77gr Match King projectile is 0.984" long.

Barnes 70gr TSX projectile is 1.037" long...

H - 0.981"

S - 0.984"

B - 1.037"

Bottom line, you can drive the solid copper of the same weight class better, because it's typically longer.  The BC is one thing, but the reality in the air is another. Example above, with that 70TSX.  Longer projectiles fly better at distance.  We'll just have to see how well this one flies to 2k - and that excites me...  :banana:

In the interest of advancing this further,  we put in some  SOLID WORK this weekend. First and foremost, @JBMatt's Bergara Win Mag is on. the. money. It's working well with the 225 ELD-Ms. 

Next, for the benefit of not only just us, but for all of you that come out here...  2 weeks ago when we proofed this and actually pulled it off, well...  From the very first shot, we already planned on taking a shovel up there "next time" and leveling out that natural shelf, to make it better to shoot from.

Over the last 2 weeks of phonecalls, that morphed into building a shooting platform up there.  Done.

IMG_1338.thumb.JPG.f3ddb78412f2fd72ec64c7dc9845d847.JPG

There's now a 4' x 8' platform up on that hill. It stays there.

IMG_1341.thumb.JPG.da0396fddb653569f55f9f308269897a.JPG

IMG_1342.thumb.JPG.abe179760bbb9722783bd9c6665a3658.JPG

I'll need to have Matt describe this part - Gun Pusher John really DOES have a .375 CheyTac, and it's a bad motherfucker.  I knew he had it, I've seen it, but nobody else has. Matt saw it today - he got the pics of it, for "proof of life..."  :laffs:

John didn't hit the 2k a couple weeks ago with his Win Mag, but he was super-close a  bunch of times.  Today, that .375 CheyTac knocked the DOGSHIIT out of that plate, and hard, too. The spawl below the target looked like someone set off a hand grenade under the plate - it was impressive, to say the least.   I think he was on in 9 rounds, and something like 19.5 mils at 2k, with a 100-yard zero. That's just nuts...

Here's some perspective for this shot - I made sure I got better pics this time.

Composite.thumb.jpg.ee41ac78b953927eadb583ad7c4c8734.jpg

Matt had to get down the hill,  recover all that steel, and John and I  stayed up there and SLATHERED that new platform in UV-resistant Thompson's Water Seal.  I had a 1.2 gal  can of it, and we put half of that can on the platform.  Next time we get up there, we'll get the other half can on there, and weatherproof it just that much more...:thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

I gotta say something about this...

The Garmin Xero C1 chronograph...  @JBMatt got his this week, right before this weekend.   This thing is BADASS.  It's unreal, what the capabilities of it are.   :hail:

IMG_1339.thumb.JPG.db9b98c8c071c097cfa97dc6843190a0.JPG

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

What is @jrtmasp supposed to do, shoot with his knees hanging off the platform? 

We're already planning on building an extension off the front.

Just for Jay...:laffs::banana:

It's called "The Plus-Sized Shooters Modification..."   :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V