• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

2,000 yards is in the books, men!

98Z5V

Yesterday and today.  The firing position is slightly north of camp, and the target location is slightly south of the mile target location. 1.14 mile shot, 2,006.4 yards.

We went up the hill on Saturday about 1.5 hours before sunset.  The light was fastastic during that window.    @JBMatt got it, and then I got it. Went back up for Round 2 around  2pm Sunday.  The sun was high over head, and it sucked to see the target, all kinds of sun in your face.  @JBMatt got it again, his girlfriend Karen got it, Jen got it, and then I got it again.  Gun Pusher John went after it, but was shooting factory ammo - he was super close, all around it, but that was just within the limits of the factory ammo.  I've GOT to get his reloading press setup, and show him how to use that thing.

The rifle that we all hit with is @JBMatt's Bergara B-14 .300 Win Mag.  The gun is bone stock internally, and all he's added to it are the bipod, Sandman suppressor  DEAD AIR NOMAD Suppressor, and glass.  There's a 20 MOA rail on it, and Burris Signature rings with 40 MOA set up in them.  The scope is an Athlon  an Arken 6-24 with the Japanese glass.  The load is pushing Hornady 220 grain ELD-X projectiles at just over 2700 fps.  Yesterday was a 39 mil dial/hold to get it done, today is was around 34 mils total to get it done.

I'll say this - there's ALOT of weird shiit happening after that projectile gets beyond 1,760 yards...   :laffs:

The spotter was running through Athlon Chronus 15x binos on one sweetass Athlon tripod.  That tripod is so solid that you can lean on it/hang on it while spotting, and it doesn't even wiggle the image through the binos at 2k yards.

So spotting was done at 15-power, and it was easy to see.  Shooting was done at 16-power on the scope, and it wasn't hard to spot or aim at the target on Saturday, at all.  Sunday, you just had to fight the sun glare, but once you could identify the target and it's location, it was easy to fire the solution and go after it.  The target is a 24" high by 36" wide piece of sheet steel, painted white, with a MagnetoSpeed Target Hit Indicator mounted on the top edge.

One MOA = 1.047" at one hundred yards.  Therefore, 1 MOA = 20.94" at 2,000 yards.   So, the target we are shooting at is barely bigger than 1 MOA tall, and barely more then 1.5 MOA wide. 

I'll let Matt discuss the weird shiit that was happening today.  Or, I'll have him send me the final target pic, and I'll load it in here and talk about it.  There were some very unhappy projectiles that impacted the target Sunday, vs. Saturday. 

Enjoy the view, men...   :thumbup:

IMG_1333.thumb.JPG.c3a04ac03ee06713a026fb23b1129b37.JPG

IMG_1335.thumb.JPG.1e32822e5b03b95d8c2b7abf4b4a4336.JPG

You can see camp in this pic, just to give you an idea that we are just on that little hill to the north of camp.  All firing solutions fly about 100 yards north of camp, and never go over camp.  Gonna be safe to shoot in a big setting in the future. 

IMG_1336.thumb.JPG.b3f78557b4c5537b65056c41e8aed1a5.JPG

I can't even capture a decent pic of the target through my digi camera. Next time, I'll take a target view pic through the bino lenses.  However, here's the best that I can do for an inset pic of the target, overlayed onto the target area.  It's pretty damn far away, I can say that much...

IMG_1336copy.thumb.jpg.1a0f61387625d5010c17ad973464a022.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V
Corrections for Matt's hardware

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Must be nice, short sleeves and no thought of wind chill.

Just a couple months to go :banana: 

I went all-in last night, and slept in a sleeping bag on the ground, brother, not even a tent.  It was low to mid-30s last night.  Jen did the same thing, but she got up and went in the camper this morning at 0615.  Chicken...   :laffs:

11 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Must be nice, short sleeves and no thought of wind chill.

Just a couple months to go :banana: 

We were actually sweating a little bit standing up there in just t-shirts.  AZ is awesome in the winter!  :fullauto:

The 3 big dents are from the 50 cal at 1 Mile from Fall Shoot. 

2 hits at 2,000, 1 fairly centered and 1 in the lower right. Initially I thought the lower right impact was a "skipped" round. However, after hitting it 4 more times the next day, a few of those hits definitely came in sideways. 

Time to up the BC and find a new bullet that will make that trip a little more stable in flight.

20240114_090622.jpg

8 hours ago, BigNate said:

That's AWESOME!   Wish I had been there!

It was great, brother - you missed one hell of a time.

I made a couple corrections to my first post, to get the hardware for Matt's gun correct.  He says my inset pic is off, only about halfway to the target, so I'm gonna look at the big pic again and try to see if I can find the actual spot in that pic.  I thought I had it, but he's right.

Don't tell him that I said he's right - I'll never hear the end of it...   :laffs:

Well, shiit...  He WAS right!   :lmao:

@JBMatt, I have fixed the inset-picture...   :thumbup:

IMG_1336Copy2fixed.thumb.jpg.2659a95ed9f3d45de62b277d8ec7b74d.jpg

So, that little TINY box to the right is the actual size of the inset box.  That smaller box in the inset - that's exactly where the WHITE PAINTED 24x36 piece of steel is located.  You just can't see it due to the camera resolution, and it's 2,000 damn yards away...   :banana:

It certinly is, I really like it in the spring. Somehow surviving the summer might be questionable...

Eh, it's not bad.  In the summer, we shoot at night.  Night-Only shoots are badass, because you can test how badass your optics are for night shooting - or how much they suck for night shooting.  As soon as you see that the low for the weekend is gonna be 90*, you plan a trip out there and sling lead, overnight.  That's "sleep on your cot under the stars" weather, right there.  You get to shoot early in the morning, and you evac out of the area before it hits 110*. 

There's alot of valuable info to gain, shooting handloads in high-ish temps.  You really get to test it.

We're Year-Round Shootin' People down here - we just plan around the super-shiity high daytime temps, adjust, and make it work. 

Bottom line here - any of you guys that have your own gun, and you smackin' (SCHMACKED!) the One Mile last year - that gun is probably capable of another 240 yards, and might hit 2k.  There's absolutely ZERO guarantee that it will get it done, but that gun is capable of getting it done.  Weather, wind, your mindset on the gun - that's all in there as a variable factor.  We can coax another 240 yards out of the Mile Gun.  Somehow. 

You guys that brought Mile guns down here and smashed 1760 - you are contenders, and can very well get it done.  There was .50 BMG - that one ain't even a question...  6 GT - I wanna see this one do it.  300 PRC - I WANT this one to go 2k.  The .300 Win Mag is already in the bag - it's done.  I wanna see @Magwa's 6.5x284 grab this target.  I wanna see @Cunuckgaucho smash this thing with Operation Maple Syrup. 

This is different-level shiit, brothers.  It's nuts.

outstanding men!!!!!! just what the doctor ordered a new challenge..Eric and I are up to the task as are our 6.5's if we can get them there I have already put the dope in my solver and I have the MOA on the scope to get it there now if it has enough speed to not tumble lol that will be the question. My handload will push the 140 grain Berger Hybrid at 2995 and if the density altitude is good hell i can just act like I am shooting the mile .....LOL... and I love the prone position... looking forward to this thanks for doing the scout work...

11 hours ago, Magwa said:

looking forward to this thanks for doing the scout work...

Gotta do something to entice you guys to come back...   :lmao:

We're already looking for more distance...    :laffs:  We can all scout that one out during the Spring Festivities...

13 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

We're already looking for more distance...    :laffs:  We can all scout that one out during the Spring Festivities...

Rgr That!

So, there's a funny story in this, and I'm gonna tell it, for @JBMatt...

2k yards, first shot, Matt's gun - it's gonna be him shooting it.  So, I'm on his badass Athlon 15x binos on that SERIOUSLY badass tripod.  I'm not kidding, that Athlon bipod is fukkin' SICK.  I want one, even if I have to shell out 700 doll-hairs for it.  It's worth it, in this game, by far...

So, back to the story, I'm on glass, Matt runs his dope, shots fired, and it takes us (us, means HIM...) 12 rounds, and he hit steel at 2,000 fucking yards.  That's pretty legendary, just by itself, right there. 

It was late in the day, sun was good, vis was good, so I get on HIS gun.  I schmacked that thing in 8 rounds.  Matt says, "It's the spotter that's the more experienced shooter in the team..."  He claims victory, for me beating the round count that he had.  He spotted ME.  Okay.  I'll just shut my mouth, and just wait for later...  :laffs:

So, Sunday, we go up there, and we have a bunch-more Sunday people that showed up, and walked up the hill.  We now have an audience.  Matt, obviously, is the first person on his own gun, and I think he got on with a hit in 7 shots.  But there's more to this.  We started with the dope from the day before, and I'm spotting.  2 rounds, no splash, nothing.  Shot over the hill, into the scrub behind.  He was holding 5 mils.  I give the "no call" twice, and ask him WTF he's holding.  "Same thing as yesterday..."  Well, brother, it's warmer now, bullet has less resistance, mid-day versus end of day on a colder day yesterday - Hold 3 mils.  He thinks I'm nuts, tells me that's wrong, and I told him to hold 3 mils anyway, send one, make a shot...

Well, Fuk me, with 3 mils of hold, his splash was DIRECTLY over the top right corner of the damn plate!!!  IMAGINE that!!!  :lmao:

I'm not kidding, the very first thing I said to him was "WHO'S YOUR SPOTTER NOW?!!?"...   I was SAVING that one, from the day before, from him...   :banana:

In another couple rounds, he was on, and hit again.  Successful day, new dope, hotter temps, different density altitude.  But the gun was on again.

So Karen gets up there on the gun - I wouldn't spot for her.  Told him, That's your girl, YOU spot.  He does, she DELIVERS, and she's on in 5 rounds...  Well, fuk me, doesn't she talk shiit...  "Hey Tom, you hit that in 8 yesterday, right?  I just went in 5..."   :thefinger:

Oh, it's fukkin' GAME ON now, woman.  I'll just shut up and not say shiit, right now... 

So, Jen gets up there, and I'm spotting her, and she gets ON THAT THING in 4 shots.  2,000 yards, and she got on it and smacked it in 4 shots.  I didn't say shiit to anybody, but I hugged her, was proud of her, and she celebrated without talking any shiit.  Love it.

So, I wasn't gonna shoot Sunday - I already hit it Saturday.  Matt says, "Let's shoot that ammo, get on that thing, do it..."  Told him to give me ONE round, and I think he got skeered a little...  I didn't intend to shoot it again, but I'll fire one...  He might have been skeered that I might actually cold-bore that fucking thing - I KNOW it went through his mind, at least for a split-second...  He says, "Fuk that, take 5..."  Told him that's 4 more than I need, but I'll do it, anyway.  So, I loaded up 5, first round was super-close (I was watching Jen's shots VERY closely, similar weather, shot just before me, was on it), and I barely missed the damn thing on the first shot.  I went to the 4th, and hit it again.  I was gonna get up, and Matt send "Send that other one, and make 2 hits in a row..."  Well, that didn't happen, but JUST BARELY it didn't happen...

So, the VERY FIRST thing I did was walk over to Karen...  "So, you hit it in 5, right?...  "   

I didn't finish the sentence...   Didn't need to...   :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

23 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

We're Year-Round Shootin' People down here - we just plan around the super-shiity high daytime temps, adjust, and make it work. 

The shooting isn't the issue, it's being able to function durring the day... there is only so much clothes I can take off and  nobody want to see that.

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Well after the trifecta... brotherhood, shooting and the food everything else is sprinkles on the whipped cream :thumbup:

For me every trip is a great learning experience that ups my game in leaps and bounds. 

For me every trip is a great learning experience that ups my game in leaps and bounds. 

That's gonna happen again, brother, and Operation Maple Syrup is gonna schmack 2k yards...   :hail:

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

So, the VERY FIRST thing I did was walk over to Karen...  "So, you hit it in 5, right?...  "   

I didn't finish the sentence...   Didn't need to...

2K is so easy, even a girl can do it.  :laffs: 

This was Karen's first time ever behind the 300.  She's only shot a bolt gun once before, a few months ago, and not any between then and now.  So that's pretty cool.

Even though the exact details of @98Z5V account are based in reality, they're slightly skewed, but we'll call it close enough.  :hornet:  The gist of the story is that we all connected at 2K repeatedly with a relatively low round count.  I was pleasantly surprised. What makes the story even more interesting, is that half the impacts were coming in sideways/backwards.  That means there was a fair amount of luck involved in some of those hits being that the bullet was literally FALLING out of the sky. I can't say who had which hits, that's impossible to know. The other thing that I found extremely interesting, is that the DOPE was calling for 2+ MILS of spin drift, to the right.  We had a right to left wind anywhere from 3-6mph or so.  At that distance, the wind cancelled the spin drift.  So the bullet was fighting the wind the whole way and basically running straight.  Leaning into the wind, if you will.  I didn't dial or hold for wind.  All we were doing was holding one edge of the plate or the other, a little high or a little low, depending.  There's a lot of really interesting things happening out there once the bullet leaves the barrel.

There's also a lot that happens in the 240 yards between a mile and 2K, including a whole extra second of flight time.  3.5 seconds to a mile and 4.5 at 2K.  I'm really happy that we were able to find a great shooting position and had the equipment/skills to get the job done.  In preparation for next time, I'm going to load up the 225 ELDM's that @98Z5V runs in his Win Mag.  I've been running the 220 ELDX up until this point and been giving up a substantial amount of BC with that choice of bullet.  The 225 is as big as I can comfortably go with my 1:10 twist.  230 and up requires 1:9 and 1:8, while only gaining a slight advantage in BC.  The 225 is .777 and the 230's+ are only around .800.  Running suppressed I'm not willing to gamble on not stabilizing a heavier projo and risk a baffle strike.  That can be a spendy and inconvenient error. 

We'll get this whole situation all figured out by the time y'all get here.  Looking forward to a ton of fun at 2K!

7 hours ago, JBMatt said:

I've been running the 220 ELDX up until this point and been giving up a substantial amount of BC with that choice of bullet.  The 225 is as big as I can comfortably go with my 1:10 twist.  230 and up requires 1:9 and 1:8, while only gaining a slight advantage in BC.  The 225 is .777 and the 230's+ are only around .800.  Running suppressed I'm not willing to gamble on not stabilizing a heavier projo and risk a baffle strike.  That can be a spendy and inconvenient error. 

We'll get this whole situation all figured out by the time y'all get here.  Looking forward to a ton of fun at 2K!

I've been watching the Johnny Reloads videos and had recently watched his .300WM series.   He was shooting the 220gr SMKs and the 240gr SMKs through a 1:10 twist barrel.  He noted the 1:9 warning on the 240s but found a bunch of info indicating that they actually stabilize nicely out of 1:10.   He tests them through his gun / with his suppressor.   Agreed - that a baffle strike is a bad thing... but maybe you put a few through it without the suppressor and ensure that you don't have issues?  Just food for thought... 

Edited by BigNate