• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Opinions? Stolen Valor Act ruling

98Z5V

Unbelievable...    :-[

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/29/new-push-under-way-for-stolen-valor-law-after-supreme-court-ruling/

In light of this, Rep Joe Heck and Sen Scott Brown have a plan, and I'd support it 1000%.  Yes, 10 times more than 100%. 

“Now that the Supreme Court has laid down this marker, I will be pushing for a vote on a version of the Stolen Valor Act that will pass constitutional scrutiny,” said Rep. Joe Heck, R-Nev., a colonel in the Army Reserves.

Heck's bill has 52 bipartisan co-sponsors, and Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., has introduced the Senate companion bill. Violators of the law, if passed, would face up 1 year in jail for the misdemeanor offense of lying about serving in a combat zone, serving with special operations force or being awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. In any other case, offenders would be fined or face up to 6 months behind bars."

With this ruling here, and the ruling on NobamaCare, I don't know how anybody in this country can have any faith in the Supreme Court, when it comes to something tough, or against any kind of "politically correct" stance.

Toss in the bullpoopy with Eric Holder and Nobama throwing his "executive privilege" card over Fast and Furious...

This country is going down the toilet, and too many Americans are just letting it happen, standing by watching.  Unreal.  :puke:

Now nobody can get me for claiming to be a Space Ninja Cyber Sniper attached to TEAM AMERICA World Police - Fuck yeah!

This is a lot of BS. We nail guys all the time for talkin shit about places and events they were never part of. I especially love calling out guys who claim to be "Vets" but their age group denies them from being a part of anything more than polishing boots. I nailed a guy to the wall once for claiming to be Vietnam vet. When I pulled his ID, I saw he turned 18 two months after the war ended. Even with an early enlistment, he never would have made to the war. He tried to back pedal saying he was a veteran of the Vietnam "era". Sack of shit!

At least I still get to drop the hammer on LE impersonators. I'll bet all the fake mil impersonators don't get off so easy in the past when they are caught. Lots of real mil guys let the law do the work for them, thinking these turds would get their just-desserts from the courts... I foresee random street justice for some dumb tools in the future.

Two weeks ago the Sunday paper had on the front page "Vietnam viet refused rebate from car dealer" I said hmm let me read this...It turns out that Hyundai had a promotion that if you served 4 years in the service you got a $500 dollar rebate, they refused him because he only served 3 years 11 monthe and a few days..They finaly gave it to him, but this is what bothers me, first the guy was in the Airforce and only served in Okinowa, so he was an "era" vet, and the newspaper never said "era", and made it sound like us vets are always crying about money or benefits...The next day i called the newspaper, and they gave me this center of uranus to talk to i asked him to print a retraction and clarify the difference, he said whats the big deal what's the difference, i said how would like me to come over and show you, like i can punch you in the face or i can miss you, he hung up...I  never understood this era stuff either you were there or you weren't...Why don't we go a step farther and call any civilian who work on something that was used in Vietnam a Vietnam era civilian...

I was talking about this recently to someone.

I was peacetime Navy, launch and recovery on the USS Kennedy.  My crew shot down two Lybians two months after I was shipped home.

Nobody ever claims to be a cook, or mail clerk, or barber, or boiler tech, or AB-E (catapults and arresting gear).

Most of the military is NOT a "glorious" combat position but these dipwads don't realize that.  They also don't realize everyone that HAS been in the military can smell their bullpoopy as soon as their mouth opens.

Jon

The old (original) Stolen Valor Act made it a crime to fake any medals of Valor.  The SEAL/Special Forces fakes are weeded out by very, very dedicated SEAL and Special Forces personnel.  They take care of their own, rigorously.  It's a never-ending pile of shitbags that claim to be HALO-SCUBA-Jumpmaster-Pathfinder-12 sandwin eatin' motherfuggers.  Most people don't see it, but those assclowns are literally everywhere, all the time.  The BIG fakes always go down hard.

It breaks my heart to see the Supreme Court say it's okay for some fornicate to claim to have the Congressional Medal Of Honor, and let those shitbags go because it's "Freedom of Speech."  Fucking bullpoopy.

The people that are awarded that highest recognition for heroism are often the most humble, but courageous people this country will ever know.  They literally sacrifice everything, and most of those awards are posthumous.  Very seldom are the recipients living service members, when you look at the award history. 

It's sickening to see that someone can claim that as their own, and not have actually received it.  Then, it's just okay, because it's "Freedom of Speech."

It's okay for me to go out in public, wreck someone's poop, then tell the police I didn't do it?  And if they prove I did it, I can be released, right, because that was freedom of speech...  <dontknow>

:puke:

This country is going to hell in a handbasket! The morals and values we used to have have deteriorated so much I sometimes wonder if we'll ever get them back. The Stolen Valor Act was created for a damn good reason and now the courts want to undermine it. F*%#ing liberal SOB's! >:(

Theres a car driving around here with bronze star stickers in all 4  corners of the rear window and his lic plate says brnzstr.  i just assume if he really was awarded a medal it was prbably for cooking some general a great steak. Medals usually follow humility.

As a counter argument the First Amendment does protect free speech, including lying.

I'm not arguing that it doesn't, but perjury is a crime isn't it? There are legal circumstances under which lying can be legally punished, and the Stolen Valor Act should by all means be one of them.

Perjury applies to testimony, as in court or when you file your income taxes.

Identity theft would apply if they are stealing someone else's name, not just claiming to be something they are not.

Every time restrictions are made that reduce rights it becomes easier to argue for more restrictions to reduce rights even more.

This isn't a case of "purgery" or "identity theft". This is fraud. Lying while sitting at the campfire or at the bar is one thing. At worst you get an ass whopping, but more likely just called out and embarassed.

Defrauding others is still a crime no matter how you look at it. If you are lying about your service to gain something not deserving to you, that's fraud. If I can't arrest and charge for the stolen valor act, I have 10k more laws to pick through to find something. I'm resourceful enough to ruin a liars day.

Personally I think they should be branded and cast out. A big hot iron to the side of their face would be a good deterrent.

You're right about no one bragging about not being the cook or mechanic... But they should! It's more than most have done. Besides, someone has to do it.

Perjury applies to testimony, as in court or when you file your income taxes.

I understand what perjury is, I was using it as an example of how lying can be legally punishable.

Every time restrictions are made that reduce rights it becomes easier to argue for more restrictions to reduce rights even more.

I don't consider that a valid reason to disallow legal punishment for stolen valor.

Hi.  3 year vet, communications.  Never deployed, spent almost my entire time at Ft Hood between the first Gulf War and the second.  AAM and ARCOM recipient.

There was an article on Fox recently about this very subject.  A combat vet agreed with the decision on the basis that he went to combat to protect your right to free speech.  He is a MoH recipient and he knows this was the right decision.

If you served, you know why you did.  You should know this was the right decision too.  You can disagree with someone wanting to lie about what they haven't done in life but you should not be backing laws that make it brag falsely....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/01/veterans-respond-to-court-overturning-lying-law/

I served my time in the Marine Corps as a Helicopter Mech. I never done anything super special other than keeping engines and tons of components in a ready status. I dare some cock suck poop bag claim some bullpoopy lying poop about what awards they received in a conflict they was never involved in. I have a huge problem with real vets or service members lying about poop much much less punk fuckers that didn't even serve.

This is my fuckin country if someone don't like they can stay or get the hell out of it. I don't care who you are or who you know. I don't care about what happened to your people in the past if you are not a citizen if your family's past generation didn't help build this country then shut the fornicate up you have no fucking say in our laws or our rights....I am speeking to obama by the way. Also how about this for freedom of speech the Supreme Court and the entire Obama Administration can suck a big fat DICK!

As far as our country. This is my fickin country

I served my time in the Marine Corps as a Helicopter Mech. I never done anything super special other than keeping engines and tons of components in a ready status. I dare some cock suck poop bag claim some bullpoopy lying poop about what awards they received in a conflict they was never involved in. I have a huge problem with real vets or service members lying about poop much much less punk fuckers that didn't even serve.

This is my fuckin country if someone don't like they can stay or get the hell out of it. I don't care who you are or who you know. I don't care about what happened to your people in the past if you are not a citizen if your family's past generation didn't help build this country then shut the Fornicate up you have no fucking say in our laws or our rights....I am speeking to obama by the way. Also how about this for freedom of speech the Supreme Court and the entire Obama Administration can suck a big fat DICK!

As far as our country. This is my fickin country

6132, That Was very special, as a helicopter crewchief/gunner in Vietnam, i was a recipient of mechanics like yourself who kept our helicopters flying and got me back to base mission, after mission and finally home...If no one has said this to you before my heartfelt thanks to you and others who kept us in the air...

P.S. I like the way you think...