• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What's Your Multi-Tool?

planeflyer21

A decade ago I traded an old bicycle to a kid for a Victorianox Multi-Tool...needle nose pliers, wire cutters, straight and serrated blades, a couple of screw drivers, file, saw, fish scaler, hook remover, can and bottle openers.

The Phillips driver was a bit stripped (as kids will do) but it was no big deal.

Since then all manufacturers have made leaps and bounds with quality multi-tools!  I want another good GP multi-tool, made in the USA.

Which ones do you have and like?  Really am looking for a general purpose model, not one geared or styleized to AR15s or gunsmithing or auto mechanics, etc.  Multi-purpose multi-tool.

???

Jon

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-07520-Multi-Plier-Blunt-Black/dp/B001AC1C6I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351608012&sr=8-2&keywords=gerber+600

I prefer this design of pliers to needle nose in a multitool.  Much more functional.  The serrated blade is nice, the knife is good in a pinch.  These usually serve any purpose when i really need pliers, whereas the needle nose always lack a bit of grip strength. 

I havent broken my original tool, but i have two more on a shelf in case they stop making them, and i break the first one lol.  I don't buy extras for many things, if that says something for my opinion of the design.  If you prefer needle-nose, i still recommend this model, just with the different jaws.

Russ

I have an old one of those Gerber multi-tools that i got from my dad. Used it for years and it still is in good shape. I dont use it much anymore though, it doesnt have a blade lock so the knife part has almost closed on me before. I have the Gerber Demo multi that I used in the Marines as a Combat Engineer. Works really well and I have a spare of it. Might get a new regular multi someday, but the Demo has most of the stuff i would need/want anyways so there's no rush.

I carry an original Leatherman (also called the PST). It does absolutely everything I ever needed. I've been carrying it on my Sam Brown for 10 years. My wife has one of those super heavyduty Gerber multi tools. She hates how heavy it is.

Best part about mine was, I found it laying on the ground.

If I ever replace it, it'll probably be for the same one again.

SOG and nothing else...  http://sogknives.com/store/tools.html  Not a Gerber fan, watched the pliers shatter before with hand pressure.  Used to like Leatherman, the owner is Democrat which on its own isn't bad.  The supposed support for PETA is another matter.  It is one of those I have not been able to confirm but also there is no denial.  Innocent until proven guilty I suppose.

Do prefer my SOG though.

NRA always asking for money yea,wonder how much goes for adminisrative costs and how much for 2nd amendment rights. <dontknow> >:(

How much do lawyers cost per hour?  You could give me the hourly rate for what their lawyers charge them for 20 hours of preparation on a lawsuit or brief and I could probably put 1,000 people through a shooting clinic with volunteer instructors.

Now, what would have a bigger impact upon public opinion?

Jon

I have a Leatherman and Gerber - both made in USA- both great quality - I keep the Gerber in my BoB cause it seems to be a little more durable and lighter.  The leatherman is an 18 tool so its more useful as an everyday use item.

And yes - I don't trust the NRA.  Seem to be just a bunch of money grabbers with promises like the rest of our politicians.  I also don't trust them- I always kinda took thier organization as a collection point for gun owner ID's...what better place to look for who owns guns eh?  What abotu Gun Owners of America? They are non profit and seem to be more politically oriented rather than sellign you T-Shirts and crap.

First time I have heard of Gun owners of America. <dontknow>

:hunter: WHAT?!!?

What about Second Amendment Foundation?  Jews for Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO)?  Or the new National Association for Gun Rights (NAGR)?

I believe ALL of those are ZERO TOLERANCE for any BS legislation against the 2nd Amendment.

Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) are the ones that filed the lawsuit that became Heller vs. D.C.  The NRA was AGAINST challenging the D.C. law...until it looked promising.  At that point SAF and Heller said "Thanks but no thanks!"

If you read all the NRA stuff, it sounds as if they are the ones pushing all the battles but that is rarely the case.

Jon

If they would stop wasting the money that people give them on sending out all that junk mail they would have plenty. I too got sick of getting renewal notices all year round, makes me think that they believe I am dumb enough to renew more than need be. I have 2 of the old bucktools, had one break at the hinge back when they were new but they replaced it and have had no more problems, not even sure if they make one now.

yeah no offence to any die hard NRA fans- but I just see them as another political force praying on the hopes of people for $ - a bunch of fakes saying a whole bunch of something and doing a whole bunch of nothing...or maybe just enough to give you that tingle for next years renewal subscription...