• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magpul ACS-L - my opinion

MaDuce

I just got mine in the mail today. I am very happy with it.

I always though the original ACS was a great design but had the fatal flaw (at least as far as my wallet goes) of having those battery compartments on the side, making it way too bloated for my taste.

So when I learned that Magpul now makes one without the battery compartments (ACS-L or Adaptable Carbine/Storage - Light) I immediately ordered it.

I attached it to my .308 and it proved to be a tight and perfect fit.

I don't have (or want) a regular ACS to compare it to but based on what I have seen and remember, it appears that the width is right in between the Magpul MOE butt and the regular ACS butt. This actually turned out to be perfect. It doesn't bloat out enough to interfere with handling or anything but bulky enough to give you a good cheek mounting platform. Both look and feel are just right.

On top of all that; unlike the ACS, the ACS-L doesn't need an external tool to remove the butt from the buffer tube. It comes off the same way as the MOE butt. In fact, I think the butt adjustment and take down parts on the ACS-L are exactly the same as on the MOE.

I know it's a matter of personal preference here but the fitting of the stock as a whole matches my body perfectly.

I figured I'd get this to hold me over until I could afford a UBR and then sell it. But I like the ACS-L so much that I think I am going to stay with it and skip the UBR. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now I just need to get one for my AR-15.

So, if you like the ACS design but dislike it's "bloated" side profile, the ACS-L will probably be the stock for you. Oh, and it's also between $20 and $30 cheaper then the regular ACS.

So far I have the CTR, the ACS and the ACS-L (and a few others that are not Magpul)

Personally, I think they all serve a purpose. If you need/want storage the ACS is a great stock. By far it is my favorite just for comfort. I use the storage on mine for all sorts of things. The CTR is nice for weight and ease of use. It can also be fitted with a cheek riser. As for the ASC-L, it fills the gap between the two for comfort and use.

Agree...I think the ACS L is my go-To stock from here on out. Weight is relatively close to the others like it....priced nice....locks up tight as a fixed stock and I like the way it looks more than the str. The cheek weld is perfect and allows me to transition to my offset optic with no repositioning. Just a slight " roll" of the rifle.

Thanks for posting this. I'm still in a tossup between the CTR, STR and ACS (L or not), so at least its good to get a confirmation that the ACSL is a nice stock. have you shot with it already?

The STR fuckin' rocks, man.  <thumbsup>

First one I've used, on this one - great, great buttstock.

100_0646-2_zps80025a72.jpg

The str and acs seem to serve the same purpose with differing aesthetics. for some reason I love the way the ACS looks. Many people hate it (most likely the reason the STR was made) cant loose either way.

I know magpul stocks are for noobs and KoolAid drinkers while all the real operators are using LMT and VLTOR...but they work and I like them.

I know magpul stocks are for noobs and KoolAid drinkers while all the real operators are using LMT and VLTOR...but they work and I like them.

I hear what you're saying, but... I've been a cop for 10 years in a pretty major California metropolis. We have about 20 agencies and over 1,200 LEO's here. In that time, I've only seen 1 LMT SOPMOD stock (and that guy is FAR from being considered an "operator"), and I've never seen a VLTOR on duty.... The rest are Magpul or old MilSpec M4 CAR stocks... You can call us Noobs and KoolAid drinkers, but we use what works.

Magpul wouldn't be as successful as they are, if they weren't the best on the market. There are companies that come close. I'll even say some are equal. But I can't say there is a company that makes a better product.

I hear what you're saying, but... I've been a cop for 10 years in a pretty major California metropolis. We have about 20 agencies and over 1,200 LEO's here. In that time, I've only seen 1 LMT SOPMOD stock (and that guy is FAR from being considered an "operator"), and I've never seen a VLTOR on duty.... The rest are Magpul or old MilSpec M4 CAR stocks... You can call us Noobs and KoolAid drinkers, but we use what works.

Magpul wouldn't be as successful as they are, if they weren't the best on the market. There are companies that come close. I'll even say some are equal. But I can't say there is a company that makes a better product.

Mr. Robobot. Back when Magpul wasn't making anything but their... well, magpul device, I was sketching up and even prototyping some rifle furniture that looked suspiciously like most of what Magpul is producing now and some of my unique features now scattered among various magpul products. I shouldn't have to tell you that I have refined the snot out of them but unfortunately lack the resources and ambition to do anything with them. If I WERE producing my own designs, I'd take them over Magpul any day.

Get that project of yours going and YOU'LL be making a better product.

Dozens of my ideas have been ripped off by the gun industry. In every single case, they watered down their "rip off" product from the original design.