• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My new must-have toy...

Matt.Cross

It has been quite a while now that I've wanted to get my hands on a full-scale 1911 in .22 without going through a conversion kit, and the pistol I had my eye on was the ATI GSG 1911-22 up to this point. However, today I found this and I do believe the GSG has died the death of a dream replaced.

Check it out!

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/tactical-rimfire-replicas/government-1911-a1-rail-gun/

While you are there, check out all Walther's new tactical rimfire replica series, they've got some great training and familiarization weapons.

That's pretty surprising' date=' but I don't doubt you a bit. What are the differences between the two?    [/quote']

Walther, an Umarex owned company (of air soft fame), makes extensive use of ZAMAK in their 22lr designs. Most notibly their slides.

Works OK I guess, whereas the GSG, imported by ATI, makes their slides from aluminum, a far better material IMO.

I've owned a few Walther / Umarex firearms and although they've functioned reasonby well I've decided that ZAMAK firearms are off my shoppig list.

Life's too short to spend it shooting cheaply cast ZAMAK firearms, at least for me.

I own a lot of rimfires and I can recommend two 1911 22s that I personally own and find outstanding: the Kimber Rimfire Target and the RIA XT22.

Quality materials and great shooters both.

FWIW I have known microgunner for several years now and I know two things for certain. He knows .22's like nobody else I know and what he's is stating about the Zamak he is being gentle. The household names for Zamak are pot metal and white metal. Think Chinese toys and inexpensive household fixtures.

Walther, an Umarex owned company (of air soft fame), makes extensive use of ZAMAK in their 22lr designs. Most notibly their slides.

Works OK I guess, whereas the GSG, imported by ATI, makes their slides from aluminum, a far better material IMO.

I've owned a few Walther / Umarex firearms and although they've functioned reasonby well I've decided that ZAMAK firearms are off my shoppig list.

Life's too short to spend it shooting cheaply cast ZAMAK firearms, at least for me.

I own a lot of rimfires and I can recommend two 1911 22s that I personally own and find outstanding: the Kimber Rimfire Target and the RIA XT22.

Quality materials and great shooters both.

Makes perfect sense. Overall, what's your opinion of the GSG?

FWIW I have known microgunner for several years now and I know two things for certain. He knows .22's like nobody else I know and what he's is stating about the Zamak he is being gentle. The household names for Zamak are pot metal and white metal. Think Chinese toys and inexpensive household fixtures.

I have total confidence in Microgunner and his experience, I'm happy to have information like this to base my spending decisions on. I bought a S&W built Walther P22 for my wife some time back, and it's been a sweet little pistol to this point, but I didn't have any inside info on the Walther tactical rimfire replica series. Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

Makes perfect sense. Overall, what's your opinion of the GSG?

Matt, I have an awesome GSG5, the thing is one of my favorite guns, never a failure when using HV ammo, I have shot 3000 rds in one sessions without cleaning before, pure fun..

Hey Micro, not to jack Matt's thread, but can you get an Advantage arms Glock conversion kit? (For a G21 or G30)

Sorry Matt, like a Somali pirate, aarrrrrr!

Matt, I have an awesome GSG5, the thing is one of my favorite guns, never a failure when using HV ammo, I have shot 3000 rds in one sessions without cleaning before, pure fun..

Hey Micro, not to jack Matt's thread, but can you get an Advantage arms Glock conversion kit? (For a G21 or G30)

Sorry Matt, like a Somali pirate, aarrrrrr!

It's OK, i've done my fair share of the thread jacking, I don't mind at all.  <thumbsup>

I may just go with the GSG after all, we'll have to see.

Makes perfect sense. Overall' date=' what's your opinion of the GSG?

[/quote']

They're well liked firearms for sure so I'm about to step on some toes here.

I purchased three of their rifles before discovering the internals are mostly ZAMAK. A GSG MP5, a GSG Colt M4 OPS and a GSG  Kalashnikov.

I still own the Zalashnikov but only because I've been too lazy to drag it out of the safe and put it up for sale.

The Colt and GSG-5 are long gone.

Traded the GSG-5 for a brand new S&W 7" mod 41. SCORE!

I'm divorcing myself of these rifles, not because they didn't function, but rather because of construction materials and methods.

I can't own every firearm in the world so I've become more selective.

Drew is to blame for this. Early on, when first getting into tactical rimfire rifles, Drew turned me onto the CMMG Sierra AR upper and after seeing how a quality tactical rimfire is built I soon realized how poorly the GSG rifles were built.

Lifes a lesson. This is why I haven't purchased a tactical styled 22lr rifle in a while, hard to live up to the CMMG's standard.

The GSG pistol may have ZAMAK internal parts, I don't know, but their slide is aluminum. A huge improvement.

I also owned a Walther P22 and sold it due to the ZAMAK slide.

Drew is to blame for this.

Somehow, I knew this would all come back to Drew...  <laughs> <lmao>

MG, you know he not too proud to blame both you and I for damn near everything, right? 

Can't believe you guys are giving me more poop about the birthmark...   :fawkdance:

You're passing up a .308 lower, for that?...    :o <dontknow>

Oh, I saw what you did there, too.  I'll file that away, and come up with something for later...  <laughs>

No, most likely going to stay on mommas good side, by not buying any new toys....sad face ...

And I wouldn't expect anything less, all is fair, I accept all retaliation, even if you have to use it later....