• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bought a stripped lower

Stroker396

So I bought a Colfax Tactical stripped lower (just in case the ban was for real) with the intent of building it later.  It was 100% machined but needed a finish (it was raw aluminum) so I put the Duracoat tactical black on it.  It came out pretty good I would say a couple minor runs and some deep parts did not quite coat.  Anyways i am looking at Blackthorne Products for the rest of the kit when they get them back in stock.  This will be my long range rifle with a Nikon scope.  I have a DPMS lower parts kit I got with it but I will most likely sell it.

BTW name is Mark.  Glad to be here.  My collection is coming along nicely.

Cheers,

Anyways i am looking at Blackthorne Products for the rest of the kit when they get them back in stock. 

Please, for yourself, don't buy that stuff. It is the absolute worst stuff out there.  The horror stories about them never end.

Search out Blackthorne, Hesse, Vulcan (the three names that company has had), and you'll see what's out there.

Here's a quick search, and results:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=8&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=GtN7qkwYZpaqZJqSzBLjNw&cp=16&gs_id=1w&xhr=t&q=blackthorne+hesse+vulcan&es_nrs=true&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Blackthorne,+Hes&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44770516,d.b2I&fp=3c7cb8fe1bdef3d2&biw=1097&bih=550

Thanks for the heads up guys.  One of the reason I do like forums.  Guess it is time to start searching then.  Well at least my parts kit will be here tomorrow so I can get my M4 back up and running again.  

Stopped by Acadamy tonight to get some ammo of course they were out of most of what I wanted so I grabbed a box of .308  Yikes, stuff is pricey.  Any recommendations?

Edited by Stroker396

Stopped by Acadamy tonight to get some ammo of course they were out of most of what I wanted so I grabbed a box of .308  Yikes, stuff is pricey.  Any recommendations?

All I can say is good luck my man. We're all in the same boat. Even bulk, it seems like $1.00/round is the going rate. 7.62/308 is just scarce as hell it seems like these days.

Ok so once the bank is drained building it I can keep it at a zero balance by shooting it, Nice.

Good news is I got it with a DPMS lower parts kit, so I guess I can start assembling it.  I noticed the for sale section is sparse and quiet lately lol

So a buttstock is next.  Anyone know who has an A2 in stock?

I managed a strip club for 2 years here in AZ. Trust me....none of them really finish college. Its just a price negotiation tool.

You

I managed a strip club for 2 years here in AZ. Trust me....none of them really finish college. Its just a price negotiation tool.

You have skills - I will need you on my shop-track-steakhouse-stripclub property.  <thumbsup>

Edited by 98Z5V

Ok a crowd right up my ally.  But in assembling the lower last night I noticed that the bolt catch spring fell in way too far and was useless.  I am thinking they drilled the hole too deep.  Anyways I will start a thread in the appropriate forum about the build.

Continue with the stripper talk.  Pics welcome lol.

If you are trying to go cheap, go with Red X arms. Their options are limited but their products are good. I have their X-Treme upper on my .308 and it prints 1 hole groups at 100 yards! On top of that, with the exception of JSP ammo, which doesn't like to feed in .308 ARs, it hasn't given me any trouble. They're a little on the heavy side (the barrel alone feels almost as heavy as an entire M-4) and at least mine had a bur on the ejection port, but otherwise they are as good as any average .308 AR upper, if not better then some. They are also headspaced to fit their own BCG as wqell as DPMS.

Blackthorn ARs have been known to blow up in the shooter's faces and their customer service has a reputation for being notoriously bad.

I heard that Blackthorn's critical components are rejected parts by other name brands. In other words, they're the parts that quality makers found insuficient for sale. It could be as little as a finish defect or as serious as a bad heat treat, head space issues etc. This may explain why some are happy customers while others are lucky to have all 5 fingers.