• Visit Sportsmans Guide

SI Defense Bolt Carrier Group

imschur

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I promise you they are shipping! I got an e-mail saying that a batch got overcoated and had to be stripped and re-coated, and mine might be delayed. It got to me on time though, and given that my price was less than what the upper end carriers are now, it's been worth the wait. Hang in there Robo, they'll have your carrier to you soon enough. If not, you can have mine until yours ships.

Matt

We just can't believe it, with out photo's  !  <dontknow>

I'll get some out here in a couple days. Robo, I didn't order a bolt with my carrier because my barrel I ordered has it's own matched & headspaced bolt. I think I'm going to put the SI bolt carrier in goldilocks, move the Young bolt carrier to frank and add a smaller brake and a chrome silicon flat-wound buffer spring to frank to complete him. After that, I can worry about another build.

• 4 weeks later...

Just caught your post brother Moagm did you have to take apart upper and lower and then send it in to be coated first? Got a RRA lower and have been looking at all these ideas from you guys my head is spinning.What do you guys think about a 14.5 barrel with what I think is the dissipatetor look [barrel almost to the end?]Coated upper,lower,and BCG? and probably stay with Smith Vortex flash hider as recoil doesn't seem like a big deal to me in 5.56.What do you think projected cost's would be like.Lower is complete just need upper parts.Shoot on bros.

• 1 year later...

What do you guys think about a 14.5 barrel with what I think is the dissipatetor look [barrel almost to the end?]

Talk to me, Goose.  What are your plans?  Tell me how far you wanna go with the Dissipator look, brother.

If you run a rifle-length handguard (12" handguard), you'll need a 16" barrel to run the Dissy, and maintain a front sight assembly.  A 14.5" barrel just isn't enough barrel, in order to have a front sight assembly, and still have a 12" rifle-length handguard.

Now, you can run a pinned 14.5 (pinned muzzle device, to bring you over the 16" BATFE SBR minimum), run a 10" handguard (only freefloats are available in that length), and still have a Dissy look to it.  It can not be a 14.5" midlength gas system barrel - it must be a carbine gas barrel.  Otherwise, still no room for that real micro gas block that you'll need, and the front sight assembly.

Here's a 16" barrel, rifle-length handguards, front sight assembly - the Dissy look.  This this doesn't have a real gas block, and it doesn't have a gas tube, though - it's the blowback-operated .45 ACP AR.

post-7-0-83337200-1364879827_thumb.jpg

Here's a Dissy barrel I'm working on.  16" barrel, carbine gas system, and the front sight assembly.  The 12" rifle-length handguard will butt right up to that front sight assembly, when it's all done.  This is for the 300BLK.

On a 16" barrel for a 5.56 gun, you could run a midlength gas system, still get a front sight assembly on there, and have a very nice gun.

post-7-0-43837100-1364879952_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-05496200-1364879962_thumb.jpg

I put a rifle length handguard on a 14.5" 300Blk barrel. You have to get creative with your faux front block. There's not enough room for a standard sight, at least not without modifications.

You could use the same flip sight 98 posted for his Dissy build. You'd just have to cut the block in half, so it'll have only one attachment point (instead of two)

5d5e43ab.jpg

f935a5b4.jpg

That gas block is made by PRI. I have a buddy with a mill who modified it for me.

^^^  Like he says, it's not just gonna go together.  You need to be machinin' to make the 14.5" work on a Dissy, and get a front sight on it.

Now, 14.5" barrel with a 12" handguard is easy, when you free-float it.  Run a flip up front sight on the rail.  I've done several of those.  It's not a Dissy, but it's the shortest you're gonna legally go (when it's pinned to over 16"), and run the max handguard - rifle length.  I have seen some people run a 13" or 13.5" on 14.5" barrels, and those images should show up in an online search.

12" rail, 14.5" pinned barrel:

ARFCOMBillet9.jpg

Another one, 14.5" with 12" rail:

Repaint_1.jpg

16" barrel with a 13" Troy rail:

MidlengthComplete2.jpg

For some sick reason I'm liking the idea of a 14.5" with a 15" handguard.

I'm looking at a build right now, 11" barrel with a 12" tube. Kinda like the War Sport "LVOA"

I was thinking that for when I get around to a 300 blackout build myself. If the PRI Delta (the triangular one) came in a 15, i'd use that for sure, would be a great look.

I put money down on the nickel boron 308 BCG had to put like a 1/4 down.was like $87. I guess the list I was on was for some other manufactures BCG that SI was using. This one is suppose to be built by SI in house. I really not sure what is going on over there but I got money down on one. Be glad when this unicorn of parts will be in my rifle and slinging brass!!!