• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Most Accurate .308, 7.62x51 Factory Ammunition in Your AR Rifle

imschur

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I see a number of guys discussing boat tail, hollow points, etc.

Isn't it true that some have issues running these through an AR semi-auto platform? Of course all of them run through bolt guns but just curious about this.

Also what would you say is the best balance of power/stability, and ideal ballistic characteristics in the different bullet weights available, from a low of say 110 grain all the way up given a 308/7.62 round, 24" barrel length.

An then finally getting back to my original post, if I were looking for an extremely accurate round for long range application, but that also had high potential for a hit that would cause maximum damage to flesh but at the same time penetrate armored or hard targets as more of a do all round, what would it be?

I know this is a tough question and is subjective, just trying to get a consensus.

Edited by xxlfitness@yahoo.com

XXL   Why don't you go get you some ammo and try it in your piece?  for God sakes man give it a rest...get you some FGM168 and get you a case of mk319 mod 0 sost 130 gr...you cant get it by the box but by the case yes...a case is only 500 rounds...that aint nuthin.......that's all you need to kill everyone and everything with...hurry up the zombies are headed your way:laffs:  Wash

4 hours ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

Isn't it true that some have issues running these through an AR semi-auto platform? Of course all of them run through bolt guns but just curious about this.

Also what would you say is the best balance of power/stability, and ideal ballistic characteristics in the different bullet weights available, from a low of say 110 grain all the way up given a 308/7.62 round, 24" barrel length.

An then finally getting back to my original post, if I were looking for an extremely accurate round for long range application, but that also had high potential for a hit that would cause maximum damage to flesh but at the same time penetrate armored or hard targets as more of a do all round, what would it be?

I know this is a tough question and is subjective, just trying to get a consensus.

That’s a new one for me Micheal 

There is no perfect round for all applications and all rifles. They are like boats. A series of compromises. You need to experiment to find what fits your rifle and your needs the best. Any experienced shooter would know this.

Edited by Sisco

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DPMS LR 308 and a Savage 10, that have a 1-10 twist ....bother shoot the same , more accurate than any other round so far.. shoots through one ragged hole at 100 yds...I have plenty of other loads  i have done too...but i wanted to see what a light round will do as far as accuracy...I have, some 125 gr SST loaded up right now for trial with varget this time...It worked as accurate as the 110 on a previous trip to the range.

On 3/17/2018 at 9:14 PM, Sisco said:

There is no perfect round for all applications and all rifles. They are like boats. A series of compromises. You need to experiment to find what fits your rifle and your needs the best. Any experienced shooter would know this.

Who cares , I just posted some reloading info is all....I been doing this since 1973,,, whata heck i'm new at this

On 3/2/2018 at 10:41 AM, 98Z5V said:

Factory load?

No not a factory load. I use it in my 308 DPMS and my Savage 308 1-10 twist'''' I had the powder and decided to try it . I was impressed, but these 2 rounds , the 110 hornady GMX and the 125 SST are the only rounds that i had this accuracy with...It never performed well (3031) in the 150 gr bullets for me in years past.

10 minutes ago, hunterbob said:

No not a factory load. I use it in my 308 DPMS and my Savage 308 1-10 twist'''' I had the powder and decided to try it . I was impressed, but these 2 rounds , the 110 hornady GMX and the 125 SST are the only rounds that i had this accuracy with...It never performed well (3031) in the 150 gr bullets for me in years past.

That's awesome!  I don't see many reports of the lighter projectiles.  I've got some lighter ones for the 300BLK,but I've never loaded them up as .308 Win loads.  I might try a few. 

1 hour ago, hunterbob said:

Who cares , I just posted some reloading info is all....I been doing this since 1973,,, whata heck i'm new at this

I was responding to someone other then you.My Dad got me going on reloading in 1964 so I am a newbie as well.

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2018 at 9:10 AM, 98Z5V said:

That's awesome!  I don't see many reports of the lighter projectiles.  I've got some lighter ones for the 300BLK,but I've never loaded them up as .308 Win loads.  I might try a few. 

I'm 71 and retired , when i'm not predator hunting i like to shoot a lot, and these two rounds have no recoil. What surprised me was that i didn't have to trim the cases after fired...  Recently i tried out the 110 on a hog and it was my bragging shot lol. 225 yds the hog was running and i got it just below the ear. Using a tripod though.  There was 2 of them and i got both . The 110 gr went threw and threw, bout barely exited (explodes after entry, thin jacket)  Varget powder has the same accuracy. The brown hog is 250 lbs. The bullet does a lot of damage and since i field tested it ,,, i'll be using these more.

20180423_114502.jpg

20180423_114626.jpg

20180423_130347.jpg

On 3/2/2018 at 10:45 AM, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

how about some other examples of a more traditional projectile weight. That's pretty lite for some guns and doesn't run well depending on Barrel twist and setup.

any other examples of more traditional bullet weight that you guys have also found to be extremely accurate and is this also further dependent upon whether the weapon is a bolt-action or an AR platform type weapon just curious?

shot at 60 yds and one shot at 100 yds above...125 gr SST 46 grs Varget Factory crimp, ... This bullet and the 125 SST performs the same at 100 yds  +

20180331_142154.jpg

20180421_210643.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

I shoot boat tail bullets exclusively  in my dpms 308 and my savage 10  ,, never had a problem, but I used to have a feeding problem in the AR rifle.. So if you are reloading and some are feeding or sticking , causing mal functions, I can tell you how I got past that problem.

You and i are are both newbies ...lol

I am a newbie when it comes to hog hunting. Plan to take it up in Florida next winter. They are a little underpopulated compared to Texas though, only 500,000 of them compared to 2 million in the Lone Star State. 

22 hours ago, Sisco said:

I am a newbie when it comes to hog hunting. Plan to take it up in Florida next winter. They are a little underpopulated compared to Texas though, only 500,000 of them compared to 2 million in the Lone Star State. 

Sisco, just remember, that it doesn't matter too much, what you shoot a hog with, as far as caliber...Its where you hit them...Head shots are best, or heart shot. The heart is low in the chest and right at the hogs elbow joint. My Son shot one in the left front shoulder with a 270 at 125 yds...The bullet exited out the right rear leg....It still ran 100 yds .. lol

Sisco, just remember, that it doesn't matter too much, what you shoot a hog with, as far as caliber...Its where you hit them...Head shots are best, or heart shot. The heart is low in the chest and right at the hogs elbow joint. My Son shot one in the left front shoulder with a 270 at 125 yds...The bullet exited out the right rear leg....It still ran 100 yds .. lol

I have shot deer bear and elk. Usually go for a heart shot, occasionally a head shot if I am confident of the shot. Only time I needed a second shot was when my scope got knocked off from a collapsing tree stand. The buis got pretty chopped up as well. Had to track that deer for 3/4 of a mile, after the first shot went through both front legs but missed the organs. In retrospect I should have just called it a day after the accident. Not being confident in the sights any more, after the first shot, I got so close I could just point shoot. Shoot placement is always number one. Anything else is a distant second, including caliber.