• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
imschur

Most Accurate .308, 7.62x51 Factory Ammunition in Your AR Rifle

Federal 168 grain Gold Medal Match has performed the best in my SR-25. I would like to be able to use a heavier bullet, but the accuracy potential just isn't there.

The most accurate stuff I've shot in both my DPMS rifles has been Black Hills red box .308 Win match 168 bthp. Federal power shock 150 comes in a close 2nd.

When the weather breaks in March or so Im going to be going through a variety of 168gr .308 match ammo. Hopefully I will have a second rifle to test at that point as well. Heres the list so far. I may add more based on this thread.

Later I will follow up with the cheap stuff.

I know the 165-168 stuff is more accurate but I like the extra MV of the 150 grn bullets.

I use Hornady 150 sst bullets in my reloads.

I am an avid reloader and have only shot Federal powr shok 150gr sp in my LR308 and it shoots that cheap stuff like a house on fire!  $13 a box and it shoots under .5moa!!!  I was very impressed.  It is also interesting to see another post good accuracy from that ammo.

i mostly shoot gmm in 168 gr, black hills red box a close second, also 168 gr. i would like to know about the gmm in 175 gr also, i've never even seen it on the shelf

I shoot the dpms sass. With the 1/10 twist I've stuck with 175 grain. While I reload for all my weapons I like to try what's considered the most accurate factory ammo to compare my loads. I've shot federal GMM in 175 gr. Black hills in 175 grain. Hornady super p in 178 grain and American ballistics ml118lr in 175 grain. In my rifle the federal GMM always came in first, but all was fairly accurate keeping under 1 " when I do my part. I use bipod and small bag for support under my wrist. Would do better with full bench rest but I try to keep it real with this weapon. I've also shot privi and a couple others but they didn't come close. My reloads do much better, but the question was about factory loads. While the hornady super performance in 178 grain comes in third behind fed GMM and black hills in accuracy for me, it was the only one to break 2600 fps in my 18" barrel. That is considered somewhat of a standard velocity most 175 gr try to hold to. In a bolt sniper rifle that is. So with the hornady you can obtain close to the expected bolt rifle velocities of standard ammo in a 18 inch barrel. But like I said I lost some accuracy.

anyone have any experience with Privi Partisan 168gr match BTHP? i had it narrowed down to that and the pmc 147gr FMJBT.  pmc is $265 for 500rds and the Privi Partisan is 365 for 500 rds.  i use federal gold metal match 168 in my bolt 308

Federal fusion 150gr seemed to perform the best, followed by 168gr federal ggm and 165gr federal smk.

This is a 16" 1in10" twist. Winchester 150/180 power point and Remington 150 umc did the worst.

These were 10 shot groups fired at 100yds.

I mostly buy direct from SenecaArmory ammo by emailing them at Sales@SenecaArmory.com . I found theirs to be good enough for my needs. Pretty accurate. Its 147 grain FMJ so I'm happy on my county's range.

Strangely my AR-10 seems to do best with FN NATO ball ammo under 200 yards. The heavier match stuff starts catching up after that but at 100 yards I regularly get half the group size with the FN compared to 168 or 175 FGMM. Wish I could find more of it!

As this thread has been resurrected, recently I tried some HSM (Hunting Shack Munitions) 168 gr BTHP Molybendum coated ammo I had purchased during the hoarding craze two years ago. In both my AR10 rifle ( 1 in 11.25 twist) and my AR10T carbine ( 1 in 10 twist) it is shooting in the .sub MOA range. Best guess average .8 MOA . Unfortunately I believe it is discontinued.

Now here is another twist on it, excuse the pun, 

Considering the brands and bullet weights above,

Im also interested in what you guys feel is the best overall most universal type of ammo or bullet preference.

If you could only keep one type on hand, FMJ, Hollow point, BoatTail, armor piercing with steel insert etc etc.

would it be? In my AR 556 stuff, I have gone to amost exclusily keeping 62 grain greeen tip on hand.

But for the 308/7.62 platform, there is more potential and I'd like to have something that expands in flesh, but also has some of the armor piercing deep penetrating characteristics of the green tip.

what are your thoughts, ?