• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Most Accurate .308, 7.62x51 Factory Ammunition in Your AR Rifle

imschur

12 minutes ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

what are your thoughts, ?

Unless you reload some surplus black tips I don't think you will find a true armor piercing 7.62x51 round. I'm a big fan of the MK 319 mod 0 round, explosive expansion and a nice 55 grain solid copper base to follow up.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/mk319-mod-0-7-62mm.html

MK319.jpg.c0e510a4278380c1cbb6480ea308cbc2.jpg

After several water jugs this was recovered;

100_5060.thumb.JPG.c32ccb53189c07cdc4b50cd18f2d94d5.JPG

Here is one of the threads here on it;

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The legendary MK319 130 grain SOST ammo.... over a year since psa had the rounds for 11 bills a box....daaamn I wish I had bought more....accurate in all of my ar308's and smoking hot 130 grains of copper and secret $hit to hunt with.....about once a month I always search for it....no more boxes for sale but you can buy some 500 dollar plus cases of it around.... I have a shrine built for the last few boxes, and  lanterns fueled with Hoppes #9 burn 24/7 at the shrine   :fullauto:  Wash    

15 hours ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

Wish it were a bit heavier for my 1/10 twist but anxious to try it

I doubt you have issues with the 1/10, I have not seen any reports of it and did not see a difference between 1/11.25 and 1/10 myself. Shot some at 300 yards and no discernible difference. Problem now is finding the stuff!

10 minutes ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

Just going by what others have said and that's always a bad idea. Lol.

Bryan Litz is behind this stability calculator;

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Here is some brain hurt material if you want to dive into the pool on this stuff;

http://weaponsman.com/?p=21434

3 hours ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

Do what?

Who is this and have you lost your mind. What prompted that? This is a legit discussion among the sane. Why are you in it?

XXL   why are you disrespecting a brother here on this forum with your crap post like this one?  Your attitude has a lot to be desired !

Wash

4 hours ago, unforgiven said:

I thought you resigned you membership...

Different person 

4 hours ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

Do what?

Who is this and have you lost your mind. What prompted that? This is a legit discussion among the sane. Why are you in it?

It was a mix up calm your tits

50 minutes ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

So about the 150 gr hornady. Are you saying you want to donate it to me. Lol

A local SWAT went to the 150gr AMAX a while back. They ordered a bazillion rounds in their first shipment. I’m in good with the sniper team, and they throw me a few boxes when they have a training day. Surprisingly, out of a 6 man team, only one guy on the team is a regular shooter. The rest do their training and don’t care any to shoot on their off time. In their defense, they get PLENTY of training. 

A “shitton” might be an exaggeration, but I definitely have 300-400 rounds. 

20 hours ago, washguy said:

The legendary MK319 130 grain SOST ammo.... over a year since psa had the rounds for 11 bills a box....daaamn I wish I had bought more....accurate in all of my ar308's and smoking hot 130 grains of copper and secret $hit to hunt with.....about once a month I always search for it....no more boxes for sale but you can buy some 500 dollar plus cases of it around.... I have a shrine built for the last few boxes, and  lanterns fueled with Hoppes #9 burn 24/7 at the shrine   :fullauto:  Wash    

I have 10 boxes I am hoarding.

• 1 month later...

Ignoring handloads, I've had good results with German NATO 147 grain (MEN or DAG headstamp) milsurp ammo.  It's those with the copper/nickel bullet.  0218182102.thumb.jpg.c904b2bde8476b95474663c225a78a3a.jpg0218182101a.thumb.jpg.aaba3674385bcd67e6063147dc93d15f.jpg

The target below is me sighting in using this stuff, and then the group is up to the right.  Yeah, I pulled one, but seriously....milsurp....giggity.

0218182059.thumb.jpg.04f788a75045bfe0598ab24fc94c873c.jpg

As for store-bought, I've found the Nosler 165gr ballistic tipped ammo (marketed as a hunting round) very good and the Corbon 200gr subsonic FMJ was good stuff as well for suppressed pew-pewing.  The Hornady 168gr HPBT match ammo works well, but not as good as that Nosler stuff.

All of this ammo has worked well in my bolt and semi-auto 308s.

I've got buddies who love the Hornady 'Black' 168gr ammo in their 308s.

Edited by MarkTheNewf

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hunterbob said:

110 gr VMAX 43.2 grs 3031  factory crimp 

how about some other examples of a more traditional projectile weight. That's pretty lite for some guns and doesn't run well depending on Barrel twist and setup.

any other examples of more traditional bullet weight that you guys have also found to be extremely accurate and is this also further dependent upon whether the weapon is a bolt-action or an AR platform type weapon just curious?