• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

De-NYizing an AR-10 made for NY...

Hello everyone.  It's been a while since I visited.  Life's just been very busy for me, but I diugress... the real reason for my post.  When I bought my AR-10 I lived in NY.  After the foolishness that took place there is January I set out to once and for all correct that problem.  I now live several hundred miles south of NY.  So my question is:  My AR-10 was bought in NY and as such I don't believe I can just unthread the muzzlebreak that came on it stock and replace it with a flash hider or any other device that is now legal where I live now.  Personally I don't mind the mizzlebreak at all, however it has NEVER been real popular with anyone shooting within two benches beside me at the range.  Is there a way to remove this thign without damaging the barrel and replace it with a flash hider or simple thread cover type thing?

Your muzzle brake is pinned and welded on.

Look at the six o'clock position and you shoud see a 1/4" circle. That is where the pin and weld are.

So you will need to file off the weld, drift the pin out, and remove the brake.

If not, contact ArmaLite @ 1-800-336-0184 ext 126 and ask for Mario. He will issue you an RMA number to send it in.

Your muzzle brake is pinned and welded on.

Look at the six o'clock position and you shoud see a 1/4" circle. That is where the pin and weld are.

So you will need to file off the weld, drift the pin out, and remove the brake.

If not, contact ArmaLite @ 1-800-336-0184 ext 126 and ask for Mario. He will issue you an RMA number to send it in.

This is absolutely the VERY best advice you are going to get. The next closest advice would be to follow his instructions without hesitation.

While I don't see anything at the 6-O'clock position really I am betting you're correct and it's just finished over well.  It was my impression that in NY they had to be pinned and welded but I just couldn't see where.  It will be a little bit before I can send it in.  The move has pretty well emptied the bank accounts and it's going to take a bit to recover.  Still so glad I did it though and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Does anyone know how much this will cost?  I know I will find otu when I call but I am not going to waste their time until I can actually do it.   I will likely order myself some normal capacity mags for it at the same time when that time comes.

When  your ready I'd follow mrraley's advice. They can give you a price when you call. If its something that Armalite will fix and you want to send to them, your gonna have to be issued an authorization number so you can send it in.

Edited by Zebra644

I think I would like the option of having whatever I want on it and to be able to change that as I see fit.  Eventually the idea of a supressor appeals to me as they are legal here.  As for hearing protection, they've always been wearing it.  That doesn't stop the flinch this thing causes, you feel it right through you on either side.  From behind it's not noticable at all.  In fact I thought the reaction of people next to me the first time I shot it was nuts....  Until I let my son sit there and shoot it and I was off to the side.  THEN I realized how much of a bark this thing really has.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the suppressor as IF I do that it's going to be a ways off.  I do eventually want one but I want one for my 5.56 first and they aren't exactly cheap.  My main purpose was simply to make it so I can change the muzzle device on this rifle.  I think the advice to call Armalite is probably the best and when I have the money I will likely do that.

I have to be honest int he past few weeks I have considered trading this rifle in for something that is a little easier to find mags for but I managed to find one this weekend at the gun show in Greenville and I found some online since so that's no longer an issue.  I know someone posted a bit back a link to Brownells I think it was saying they were in stock but I didn't have any money and then when I did the 20's were gone and I prefer them for the .308.  They are back in stock there as of this morning BTW if anyone is interested.  I ordered a second as soon as I saw it. 

Nonetheless I took the AR-10 and the new mag to the range yesterday and I was only reminded why I love this rifle.  So she's definitely staying in the family.  Unfortunately I was also reminded why I want to take that brake off.  I always feel like people are leaving or annoyed because this thing generates its own weather system every time I fire it.  It blew my Pepsi bottle off the side of the bench and it rolled out in front of the firing lane.  It works great at its job of reducing recoil.  It also cheeses off people nearby when they feel the blast wave with every shot.  I'd like to fix that part thus my want to replace the comp/break with a simple flash hider.    A suppressor for it is at this point still a someday dream.

Why thank you mrraley I will definitely keep that in mind.  My luck in finding mags improved as if by magic too.  That very day I ordered the one from Brownells I saw the place that purports to cost less than ground had them for $30 and change each so I ordered 2 more.  By morning they were sold out again.  I only wish I could afford more but I am up to four now and that's a decent starting place I think.

Thanks again to everyone. :)