• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Steel and Wood: Ted Brown M14SA, P. Beretta M1 Garand, and Springfield Armory M1D Sniper

Para308

Here are some really bad pictures of my new rifle by Ted Brown (who really did a great job!) and a couple of rifles I am thinking of getting as well.  The first starting from the top a Springfield Armory M1D sniper is an CMP (or is it OCMP>) lottery.  It came with the provenance, the box ("This Product Shipped From Defense Distribution Depot Anniston"), and a whole bunch of goodies, including flash suppressor, genuine M84 telescope with mount and whole bunch of goodies.  Ted Brown, of course, built the rifle at the bottom, SN 03600 with NOS and NIW USGI parts except, I think for the Minelli stock, the LRB M14SA receiver, and LRB bolt.  Then there is the all P. Beretta M1 Garand in the middle.  

P1030043.jpg

P1030045.jpg

P1030046.jpg

P1030047.jpg

P1030050.jpg

RNGR1

Beautiful.... I gotta get me an M1A/M14 one of these days.

I highly recommend Ted Brown but the price is steep.  You get what you pay for.  Or go directly to LRB Arms and/or Wideners and get an LRB M14SA (semi-automatic) or LRB M25 already built.  Or for the next alternative go to Fulton Armory - their receivers are not hammer-forged like the LRB Arms ones but they are excellent cast receivers.  

I highly recommend Ted Brown but the price is steep.  You get what you pay for.  Or go directly to LRB Arms and/or Wideners and get an LRB M14SA (semi-automatic) or LRB M25 already built.  Or for the next alternative go to Fulton Armory - their receivers are not hammer-forged like the LRB Arms ones but they are excellent cast receivers.  

I don't think I'd sink a lot into it... I'd get a basic M1A/M14 and CNC an EBR-type frame/stock for it . So much for steel/wood... probably going to end up aluminum + carbon fiber.

Edited by shibiwan

I don't think I'd sink a lot into it... I'd get a basic M1A/M14 and CNC an EBR-type frame/stock for it . So much for steel/wood... probably going to end up aluminum + carbon fiber.

You mean like this?  LRB M25 with EBR and Criterion heavy barrel, 1x10 twist.

P1020420.jpgP1020418.jpgP1020413.jpgP1020412.jpgP1020433.jpg

Edited by Para308

You mean like this?  LRB M25 with EBR and Criterion heavy barrel, 1x10 twist.

Ding ding. That's one good looking M1A 

....Considering I have my own CNC machines and also do carbon fiber composite work, I'll probably make my own version. :D

Edited by shibiwan

....Considering I have my own CNC machines and also do carbon fiber composite work, I'll probably make my own version. :D

Not an M1A.  It's an LRB M25!  I really like the slab-sided look and the top-mounted rail for the scope rings.   

Just as a heads-up, M1A is a the proprietary name that the commercial company Springfield Armory were forced to name their M14 clones.  Other companies like LRB, SEI, Fulton, Polytech/Norinco are not required to call them M1As.  These companies can call them M14S or M14SA (for semi-automatic only) and the slab-sided are referred to as M25s.  

Edited by Para308

If you have the means and the ability and machines - that would be awesome to fabricate.  I would really like to see the end product!  

Sage offers their EBR chassis for both the M14 types and the Garands, M14CA offers the Blackfeather, which is a very nice aluminum chassis for the M14 type, there are a few others such as Troy and Vltor that offer chassis for the M14 types. McCann offered a carbon fiber stock for the M14 typse that was supposed to be very light (never handled one). I don't think they are still in production though. . If you're considering doing the programing/developement work for a new stock for the platform, Unless you're only planning to make one for yourself, I think that if you do some research, you may find that there is a market for a carbon fiber stock for the M14 type platform, and to a lesser extent the M1 Garand. I know I would be interested in them for my M1's and M25.