• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Like Grandpa Did

planeflyer21

When I was younger I was a member of our local group Branch22 of the Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Association. I have a couple of those hit/miss motors. I restored my first one with my dad when I was 13 or so. Never had anything cool like that to run off of them though. I like to see that old stuff too. I had an old 38 Alice Chalmers tractor that I never got around to finishing. I guess I shouldn't say old 38....I know that's pretty close to when some of you were born....

Jon where do you find this stuff ?

How?  I'm easily distracted.  Started with a guy posting a video on how to elevate any sidecar wheel on his rig with just a 2"x4".  From that post he had another showing a dozen or so BIG restored farm engines at a fair someplace, which linked to this video.

Kent's Tools in Tucson has a big ol'honkin' belt drive drill press out front.

When I was younger I was a member of our local group Branch22 of the Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Association. I have a couple of those hit/miss motors. I restored my first one with my dad when I was 13 or so. Never had anything cool like that to run off of them though. I like to see that old stuff too. I had an old 38 Alice Chalmers tractor that I never got around to finishing. I guess I shouldn't say old 38....I know that's pretty close to when some of you were born....

Sweet!  Granny had a hit-n-miss on her washing machine.  First restored one was a small single cylinder a customer had.  Really cool how, when you add load, it starts firing more often…those dudes were brilliant!

I wanted to go to that big engine meet in Quartzite, AZ but my understanding is it isn't held there anymore.

Star Machine Works, of San Diego, had all of this equipment!!!!     They started makinfg reloading gear, including the famous Star reloader in the 1920's.    This was state of the art, then!

i questioned the manager in the 1970's when I went down to pick up a shipment, why they didn't go to  newer more effecient equipment.  He said these still hold tollerance, and are paid for!

The shop was amazing, and quite  loud!

Respectfully

Terry

Sweet!  Granny had a hit-n-miss on her washing machine.  First restored one was a small single cylinder a customer had.  Really cool how, when you add load, it starts firing more often…those dudes were brilliant!

LOL! I've got one of those gas engine powered washing machines out in the yard using it for a planter, and it still has the engine in it but it won't turn over. I got it from the local Maytag repairman. NO SCHIT, I really did! He's an old friend and his daughter is my wife's coworker. My wife wanted it and he gave it to her for a case of Heiniken. He told me that the engine in running condition is worth well over $500 and rebuild kits are available for it.

Funny. I love that old stuff. When I was a kid, my old man was a partner in a dry cleaning place here in DC. Actually, it was the oldest dry cleaners in town. A place called Besson's. They used to do the cleaning for everything from embassies, to the white house (first lady kind of stuff). It was established in the 1890's. And the business was run out of the same building on 14th street (a true S-hole when I was young) from the start. Amazing that the "well to do" would still have their stuff brought to that place. Even though it was in the "bad" section of town. Anybody that knew the northwest section of DC in those days would agree. Even being so close to the White House.....it was still a shitty part of town. So, when I was a kid (working for slave labor as family does), I spent many an hours in the old dry cleaning "plant" that had the old original machinery just like this stuff. Flat leather belts that turned heavy equipment. What's not to like? This kind of stuff is very cool....on a historical kind of level. Especially since I had the opportunity to work around it (in the 70's mind you....that shows how the stuff kept working).

Just something our next generation won't understand. They may appreciate it (as my son does)....but they won't get the first person experience of dealing with that kind of industrial equipment.

wow how cool who thinks up this stuff... the great thing is it will still work if the power is gone...... so how far have we really progressed? or regressed? we are way to dependent on batteries and electric power...

Need one to run on biodiesel....

A major resource that is green(er) and is often overlooked is solar thermal (steam power), overshadowed by photovoltaic solar…which is far more inefficient but it has the blessing of the dunderheads that take lobbyist monies.

Many places are starting to shun the PV solar for the solar steam power due to that.

A place like this mill could be converted over pretty easily.  As could a regular electric shop, just have the steam powering a generator on a closed system.