• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, NF1E said:

Only thing today was to plunk down a 1K pieces 14lb box of new Starline .223 brass that UPS just dropped off.

Do you use a Dillon or some other stationed auto press? I have loaded 10’s of thousands of rounds, but always have done them one at a time. No real reason except I find the process and procedures therapeutic and relaxing. Plus the precision, though whether it is more precise may be debatable to some.

Edited by Sisco

19 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Single-stage is the way to go for precision loads.  Control each one.  :thumbup:

I have become an expert at trickle playing my Hornady digital powder measure/scale. But that H4831SC almost meters too easy. I have to set the scale at 68.1 with the slow feed and I still get about 5% of the charges over 69.4gr. Most are between 68.9 and 69.3 though, just a short trickle up.

22 hours ago, Sisco said:

Do you use a Dillon or some other stationed auto press? I have loaded 10’s of thousands of rounds, but always have done them one at a time. No real reason except I find the process and procedures therapeutic and relaxing. Plus the precision, though whether it is more precise may be debatable to some.

I have used a Rock Chucker for over 50 years and not too many years ago I added a Forster Coax. One at a time is the best way for precision. I have been loading between 5 and 10 K of .308 for decades.  Whatta Hobby!

powder drop 5.jpg

Powder drop 3.jpg

Powder drop 4.jpg

BTO 2.jpg

On 9/27/2023 at 8:42 PM, Sisco said:

Nice set up. I  My next press will be a Rock Chucker. Just waiting for my old Lee to wear out, if it ever will.

I find the Forster Co-ax a much more user friendly press than my Rock chuckers. Love just popping the dies in and not having to use a shell holder. Just a better all around device for my uses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a pipe break over the reloading room Thursday so spent the last 3 days breaking down a bunch of tool heads, wiping/ oiling dies, breaking down 3 presses, wiping/ oiling, reassembling, tossed over 1000 primers, and have been drying several hundred rounds of wet brass.

Fortunately only the "on hand" primers got wet, the ones in the storage cabinets were in another room not in the direct flow.  A few of the die parts and pieces rusted instantly, the powder funnels in the Dillon powder dies and RCBS dies went fast for some reason, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, and Lee not so bad. Hornady "American" 308 dies seemed unaffected by a bath. Go figure. Always count on your 308 if all else fails.

Box of stuff heading out to the shop see if I can clean them up, maybe chuck in the lathe and use some wet dry on the insides, media blast on the outside knurling and threads. I Yi Yi...

Oh, did I mention I had an acute Sciatica attack at the same time. Waiting for #3.

Found a decent load for my Uintah bolt AR in .223. Shot off bipod at 100 yds . Target is a MR-31C 600 scaled down for 100. 23 gn of Varget in new Starline brass. Bullet is a Berger 73 gn. Primer BR-4.  Now if the trigger monkey would just do his part it would be one ragged hole.  Whatta Hobby!

73 Bergers 3.jpg

73 Bergers.jpg