• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got lucky today and found a bulk box of 1k Berry's 9mm 100-grain round nose hollow-base projectiles for $92, sitting on the bottom shelf at Cabela's.  Arm Or Ally currently has Hornady bulk .224 55-grain FMJ w/ cannelure for $140.  Grabbed those, too.  Searched forever tonight for .30 cal Hornady 178 ELD-X projectiles and 225 ELD-M projectiles, without luck. 

Edited by 98Z5V

On 1/17/2021 at 5:32 PM, 98Z5V said:

DAMN, LARRY!!!  

Not hard to do with a Dillon 550, and all the .308 and .223 is already sized and the .308 is also primed.

I had to scrounge around Las Cruces and Tucson to find enough powder to load some of this stuff, when I finish I'll be pretty much out of powder and primers but lots of loaded stuff stacked up if I can keep my damn kids away from it!:bat:

Edited by 392heminut

19 hours ago, sketch said:

@MikedaddyH @98Z5V do you have a load for .223 blanks? I have the die's coming from midway. 

@Lane was working on blanks - I've never loaded them, but plan to sometime in the future.  I was watching everything Lane was doing.

Got lucky at the local Cal-Ranch today for the 178 ELD-X projectiles.  2 boxes.  Went at lunch and they would only sell me one - "rationing" that they had to do.  Went back after work and the other box was there, so I took it.  That'll be 200 rounds better than I was doing yesterday, once I load them up...  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

23 minutes ago, sketch said:

right it was @Lane sooo whats the skinny on part poppers? ... probably need the dildo launcher/ can cannon asap! ya know🖕🏻😘🍻

Think about the Can Cannon for a second...  12ga slug is ONE (1) oz of lead, just tearing shiit up.  Got it.  :thumbup:  My 45-70 loads of the 405-grain projectiles...  those are 0.925 ounces, so damn near a 12ga slug - in weight...   Got it.   :thumbup:

Some thug comes through the door and takes a TWELVE OUNCE PEPSI CAN STRAIGHT IN THE BRISKET...      The dude right behind him, that was supposed to come through the door next?  He's having second thoughts, when he HEARS the sound coming out of his buddy in front of him that just ate a 12oz liquid-filled slug, directly center-mass...  I guarantee you...  

Who says you can't use a Can Cannon for self defense?...  It won't go through anybody, but it's crushing sternums, and hitting people like Hollywood-Shotguns do, and carrying them right back out the door... :popcorn:

For the Can Cannon, I prefer the Coors Light 16oz aluminum cans, with the screw top.  25% heavier payload, and a much better ballistic coefficient than a flat-nosed 12oz can...   :thumbup:  Refillable, too - one-time use in the Can Cannon, though.  So, you empty the original contents, at your leisure, refill with water, reseal the cap - reloading process DONE!... 

Coors - Light 9 Pack 16oz Aluminum Bottles - Shoppers Vineyard

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Think about the Can Cannon for a second...  12ga slug is ONE (1) oz of lead, just tearing shiit up.  Got it.  :thumbup:  My 45-70 loads of the 405-grain projectiles...  those are 0.925 ounces, so damn near a 12ga slug - in weight...   Got it.   :thumbup:

Some thug comes through the door and takes a TWELVE OUNCE PEPSI CAN STRAIGHT IN THE BRISKET...      The dude right behind him, that was supposed to come through the door next?  He's having second thoughts, when he HEARS the sound coming out of his buddy in front of him that just ate a 12oz liquid-filled slug, directly center-mass...  I guarantee you...  

Who says you can't use a Can Cannon for self defense?...   :popcorn:

I was really just gonna nonlethal  or defan the intruder but you make the dong tattoo so much more appealing! Jail!

7 minutes ago, sketch said:

I was really just gonna nonlethal  or defan the intruder but you make the dong tattoo so much more appealing! Jail!

You'd be shooting a non-projectile from a non-weapon (the Can Cannon isn't even a "firearm" at all) - but it's gonna cause more center-mass trauma than a 60mph head-on car collision whilst not wearing a seatbelt... What's not to like, here, if it was the first shot in a defensive home invasion...   WTF?! is gonna be on the rest of those minds, initially...  

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You'd be shooting a non-projectile from a non-weapon (the Can Cannon isn't even a "firearm" at all) - but it's gonna cause more center-mass trauma than a 60mph head-on car collision whilst not wearing a seatbelt... What's not to like, here, if it was the first shot in a defensive home invasion...   WTF?! is gonna be on the rest of those minds, initially...  

yes ! heeheehee!

Edited by sketch
oh I need your link for dildo'zz 😘

Just caught your edit comments, brother - here's an 18"er.  You need to work to find the 3-footer.  You WANT the 3-footer - twice the girth, and you can really get the bat-speed with something like that.  It'll lay a motherfucker OUT pretty damn fast, when they take that thing upside the cranium...  SAME psychological impact I was talking about, too - you knock out ONE GUY with that - and nobody else wants to fight.  At all...

Here's the 18"er, though:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1750583328

Dildo Crystal Jellies 18in Double Dong Purple for sale online | eBay

53 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Refillable, too - one-time use in the Can Cannon, though.  So, you empty the original contents, at your leisure, refill with water, reseal the cap - reloading process DONE!... 

Be interesting to see what effect a full can vs a half full can would have? I'm thinking the slug of water slamming forward in the can on impact would add an extra bit to the whole effect

1 minute ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Be interesting to see what effect a full can vs a half full can would have? I'm thinking the slug of water slamming forward in the can on impact would add an extra bit to the whole effect

I know for a fact that when we "liberate" the original contents, and fill then with desert dirt - you can only fill then 2/3rds full.  Anything more is one hell of an over-pressured load!...   And a face full of dirt!...   Apparently, desert dirt is WAY MORE DENSE than just water or beer...  :banana:

For this test of yours, we'll fire them at a full IPSC steel target at 15 yards, and see what's up - half-can, vs. full-can - next time you make it here, of course...  :thumbup:

My first functional load was 6 grains of Unique; and it turned out to match speed exactly of M200 blanks under a full 12oz can. The 7 grain load pushed the can about 10 fps faster; and 8 grains made the can explode mid-air about 15 yards from the shooter. 

I never finished a work up with Clays. The low 3 grain loads I tried were short in terms of distance, and perhaps too slow to chrono with the labradar. I suspect 4; maybe 5 grains of Clays might work.

Ultimately Trail Boss didn't work for me; but I never pushed the limits. I was able to get a nice bang with a empty barrel. But it sounded like a mouse fart and didn't move a 12oz can if I loaded one. 

The one thing that really bit me, was setting up the blank dies. Just a little too much crimp or seal, and the body of the cartridge would bell out such that the rounds wouldn't chamber (went in about 3/4 of the way and jammed hard). I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to figure that out. I ultimately ended up removing my de-capping pin and doing a full length resize on those already loaded rounds once I figured it out. They would pass in a case length gauge; but not fully chamber. There is no way to push a stuck case out either... So I ended up using an odd shaped dowel to help hammer the BCG to release those; more than once. Sadly I can't find any of those cases to take a picture of off hand.

2 minutes ago, Lane said:

My first functional load was 6 grains of Unique; and it turned out to match speed exactly of M200 blanks under a full 12oz can.

I'll stay up on everything you post on the blank-development, brother.  One of these days, I'm gonna try it - if they don't ban us from it first...  :laffs:

You've been the Pioneer on the blanks, man, by far.   :hail:

crap ! I need a silver bullet tat from @DNP. damit!

3 minutes ago, Lane said:

My first functional load was 6 grains of Unique; and it turned out to match speed exactly of M200 blanks under a full 12oz can. The 7 grain load pushed the can about 10 fps faster; and 8 grains made the can explode mid-air about 15 yards from the shooter. 

I never finished a work up with Clays. The low 3 grain loads I tried were short in terms of distance, and perhaps too slow to chrono with the labradar. I suspect 4; maybe 5 grains of Clays might work.

Ultimately Trail Boss didn't work for me; but I never pushed the limits. I was able to get a nice bang with a empty barrel. But it sounded like a mouse fart and didn't move a 12oz can if I loaded one. 

The one thing that really bit me, was setting up the blank dies. Just a little too much crimp or seal, and the body of the cartridge would bell out such that the rounds wouldn't chamber (went in about 3/4 of the way and jammed hard). I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to figure that out. I ultimately ended up removing my de-capping pin and doing a full length resize on those already loaded rounds once I figured it out. They would pass in a case length gauge; but not fully chamber. There is no way to push a stuck case out either... So I ended up using an odd shaped dowel to help hammer the BCG to release those; more than once. Sadly I can't find any of those cases to take a picture of off hand.

I appreciate the info bro thanks! Iv'e done my learning lesson as well. 

19 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Just caught your edit comments, brother - here's an 18"er.  You need to work to find the 3-footer.  You WANT the 3-footer - twice the girth, and you can really get the bat-speed with something like that.  It'll lay a motherfucker OUT pretty damn fast, when they take that thing upside the cranium...  SAME psychological impact I was talking about, too - you knock out ONE GUY with that - and nobody else wants to fight.  At all...

Here's the 18"er, though:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1750583328

Dildo Crystal Jellies 18in Double Dong Purple for sale online | eBay

God damn if this doesn't make me laugh every time the subject comes up.

21 hours ago, sketch said:

I appreciate the info bro thanks! Iv'e done my learning lesson as well. 

Forgot to mention, the first hints about reloading powder I found prescribed Red Dot for blanks. I never found any Red Dot locally; so I started looking for alternatives. Unique was a fairly common substitution.

I also can't swear by my Trail Boss evaluation. There may be a unique reason for that behavior; or my powder could be bad. Also didn't see a lot of reason to try a full case load of Trail Boss (there are cheaper options). You have little to lose by carefully experimenting (tough to squib a can cannon).

Also; I use Gorilla tape on the back of cans to beef them up. Never gotten wet; but apparently that's the other option (can explodes and you get christened by drink of choice).  Been using Sam's Cola from 24 packs; if you're loading blanks, it's probably cheaper than shooting retail .223 these days.