• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lone survivor

Cali_Ed

I see Walmart also has murph the protector I've been meaning to get that too

I picked that up a couple weeks ago, brother - almost as soon as I saw they had it.  Pretty good.  All documentary, and all about what kind of person he was.  Good stuff, worth the money.  <thumbsup>

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw it and I'm greatly disappointed, I planned on buying it not going to waste my money. Up until he got to the village I was on board after that nope all done.

On a side note I picked up murph the protector today, can't wait to watch it.

Oh and yes Latrell is in the movie a few times

Finally saw it yesterday. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. Now, what we do when we leave the theatre is the measure of how good the movie was. Saw the 1st glimpses of MT on the base.

Looks like it was SNAFU in too many ways: no comms., support ships gone, enemy numbers WAY underestimated. Beyond SNAFU.... 

Support ships weren't gone in the book if I remember correctly, if you've seen the move but not read the book I highly recommend the book, although I listened to it but same thing.

There were only three other people in the theater when I went but it was a thurs night in a smallish town. I was getting tore up when murph went to make the phone call, I knew what was going to happen

Here is a couple good clips of Marcus telling the real deal from his viewpoint;

http://www.c-span.org/video/?305889-1/book-discussion-service-navy-seal-war

http://www.c-span.org/video/?204213-10/book-discussion-lone-survivor

Another with Marcus and a fellow soldier from the 101st;

http://www.c-span.org/video/?202083-1/afghanistan-forgotten-war

here is a page with links to the videos as well;

http://www.c-span.org/person/?marcusluttrell

Let me ask you guys this, would u guys have killed those people or let them go aswell knowing that letting them go would probably cost you ur life?

I would leave them hog-tied around the base of trees, with gags in place. Somebody would come get them, or they'd escape eventually. Attempt to finish the mission. 

• 5 months later...

I'm waiting for cable. I watched his 60 minute interview a while back and wanted too since. Reading the beginning of this thread, it is interesting about Hollywood and all... but we still want to see good stories... if they are done right. I just can't stand propaganda pieces. During the war there were a few. I happen to like Walberg and the stuff he does. But I don't see or not see movies based on the actors.

HBO did a documentary called "Alive Day Memories"  James Gandolfini produced and moderated and it is about wounded soldiers coming home. I really didn't want to see it. I thought it was a propaganda piece trotting out our wounded... and Gandolfini was popular at the time with Sopranos, but he said it was about them.... I didn't want to disrespect them watching B.S.

Well it was none of that. Gandolfini introduced them and then let them talk. It had nothing to do with war, or a "message", or Gandolfini for that matter.... It was about the incredible stories and the undying spirit our brave Men and Women have. Absolutely incredible. See it if you can.

"Saving Private Ryan" was epic. "BoBs" being the mini series has yet to be rivaled. I liked "The Pacific".... but not as good. I liked "Generation Kill" too. I took me back to being in. I was in that very same unit.... except I was in the Navy. :) I just liked it because I thought it was an accurate picture of service life.... at least it was of mine, and I wasn't infantry.

The book may have caused a couple of drops of some strange fluid to excret from my ocular cavities but the movie wasn't as good. My gf sobbed at the end when they showed the pictures of the guys with their wives and such. Marcus has another book out called Service, about the tour he did in Ramdi Iraq after he healed up. Check it out.

The book may have caused a couple of drops of some strange fluid to excret from my ocular cavities but the movie wasn't as good. My gf sobbed at the end when they showed the pictures of the guys with their wives and such. Marcus has another book out called Service, about the tour he did in Ramdi Iraq after he healed up. Check it out.

Oh Yea I cried like a baby, when murph was killed in the movie I knew it was coming I was fighting it hard!!!!!!

And yes Service is just as good as lone survivor