• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Article on fouling

Toolndie7

So how many folks here run stronger buffer springs? Reading the article and going to Sprinco, they have a stronger spring for 308s. Curious what you guys think about that. I understand if it might not be "needed", but would it be better?

Tubbs if you want better   :)  Wash

Tubbs if you want better   :)  Wash

I looked at their site... a little "stronger" than normal. A bit, but good spring I know lots use. Do you have to cut it for a carbine buffer tube. I was looking for info, but all they said was it fits both. Looking to get an order together for a hone and gas tube.

Edited by Powerman

If Sprinco is making a 308 AR buffer spring now, you can guarantee it's a good one, and a very worthy replacement part. <thumbsup>

Tactical Springs LLC .308 M4 CARBINE Extension Tube EXTRA POWER Moly-Plated Chrome Silicon Buffer Spring in Hard Tube (Color Coded ORANGE) [NOTE: Developed EXCLUSIVELY for .308 CARBINE Platforms Utilizing Standard 7" Depth M4 Carbine Extension Tubes with Short Buffers. E.G. DPMS/Bushmaster, Etc.]

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

Ya, it's on their spring page. I'm just confused by tube length... mine is 7 5/8" inside depth on my carbine tube. They say 7" which I thought was AR-15 carbine.

So now I'm confused. Srinco and Tubbs talk about 308 springs for standard M4 carbine tubes. But those are 7", and 308 tubes are 8". they talk about not being stronger, but if you put them in a longer tube... uh... well they just won't be so compressed. Obviously it's better than putting a spring mand for 7" in a 6" tube. 

So is that just the way it is... all these better buffer springs for 308s by Tubbs/Wolff/Sprinco/JP.... that are made for 308s work fine right??? Anyone of them better than the other, or are they all the same? 

Ya, I'm on nights so not thinking very clear.  :)) I sort of answered my own question. I think I will throw one in just for giggles.

I just want to comment on the article again. It speaks to the importance of proper buffer and extractor springs. The article mentions Sprinco's extra power springs for the extractor. I have been having ejection issues and put in a BCM kit for stronger springs.

JP Rifles has just put out an "Enhanced" extractor kit. They claim a stronger extractor spring made specifically for 308s. They use the rubber post and o-ring found in many other kits to enhance tension. They also made their own extractor. The claw has been redesigned. Just playing with a casing, it grips the shell much better due to a more narrow slot for the rim.... compared to my standard extractor. 

I called them up about my problems and they said that their new extractor was just hitting their shelves. All new JP bolts are shipping with the "enhanced extractor". They sent me one no cost. I can't wait to give it a shot. I know much more about extractor problems now. I certainly seem to be one of those reliability problems talked about in the article. I have been really busy, but I will get a pic up of the extractor soon.

Ya, I'm on nights so not thinking very clear.  :)) I sort of answered my own question. I think I will throw one in just for giggles.

I just want to comment on the article again. It speaks to the importance of proper buffer and extractor springs. The article mentions Sprinco's extra power springs for the extractor. I have been having ejection issues and put in a BCM kit for stronger springs.

JP Rifles has just put out an "Enhanced" extractor kit. They claim a stronger extractor spring made specifically for 308s. They use the rubber post and o-ring found in many other kits to enhance tension. They also made their own extractor. The claw has been redesigned. Just playing with a casing, it grips the shell much better due to a more narrow slot for the rim.... compared to my standard extractor. 

I called them up about my problems and they said that their new extractor was just hitting their shelves. All new JP bolts are shipping with the "enhanced extractor". They sent me one no cost. I can't wait to give it a shot. I know much more about extractor problems now. I certainly seem to be one of those reliability problems talked about in the article. I have been really busy, but I will get a pic up of the extractor soon.

Wow that was pretty  cool on JP's part.  They seem to make very nice stuff, and then to give it to you is even better.

No doubt Toolndie. And here is some free press for them.

So here is some pics. Hopefully you can tell by the first two that the slot for the case rim is much deeper and narrower than the standard. It's much more secure on the case.

DSCN0433_zps96b82464.jpg

DSCN0434_zps44883c9e.jpg

Hard to get a good pic, but the ramped face is less pronounced. Same angle it seems just less.

DSCN0437_zpsf5a92a8b.jpg

Surely by now you have noticed how beefy the spring is....

DSCN0442_zps46407f3c.jpg

And here it all is.... The JP on the left, and that is the BCM kit on the right.

DSCN0440_zps9dc945e8.jpg

If this does not fix my ejection problems... it definitely isn't the extractor. :))

Wow that was pretty  cool on JP's part.  They seem to make very nice stuff, and then to give it to you is even better.

Makes me wonder if it was a somewhat common issue for them and this is the fix...or if they are just striving to put out the best stuff to keep up their great reputation?