• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Please, please, PLEASE... Stay in the car

Robocop1051

http://www.policeone.com/officer-shootings/articles/6966525-Video-SC-cop-grief-stricken-after-traffic-stop-shooting/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=main

My heart goes out to both of these guys. I would hate to have been this officer. I know it has almost been me countless times, and I often wonder how it would have turned out for me if my situations had been worse.

Be safe.

Use common sense.

http://www.policeone.com/officer-shootings/articles/6966525-Video-SC-cop-grief-stricken-after-traffic-stop-shooting/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=main

My heart goes out to both of these guys. I would hate to have been this officer. I know it has almost been me countless times, and I often wonder how it would have turned out for me if my situations had been worse.

Be safe.

Use common sense.

Amen. No reason to get out of the vehicle period. I'm less than 10 minutes from Mr. Canipe's hometown and people there generally just aren't really bright. Hate it for both of them but I feel like the officer did the right thing actually. After seeing police video from Texas wherein an elderly gentleman takes out a highway patrolman with a single shot from the hip with a rifle, I can understand the reaction and the need to act without hesitation. At least everybody lived in this situation.

Back in the 70's when taking drivers ed. we were told that if we got pulled over to get out and go to the cop so as not to piss him off,especially if it was raining.So a couple of years ago I get a ticket and proceeded to get out of the car and was told to get back in and stay put.I explained to the officer why I was getting out and he said "things are different now".

I'm sorry but I don't believe police are or should be a protected class.

This officer should be judged in the same light as anyone else.

A civilian would have a hard time convincing the police that shooting a 70 year old disabled man was the prudent thing to do because the dark concealed a cane's identification and you believed your life was in danger.

Nope, that civilian would still be in jail.

Double standards have no place in law enforcement.

A civilian would have a hard time convincing the police that shooting a 70 year old disabled man was the prudent thing to do because the dark concealed a cane's identification and you believed your life was in danger.

you have to make it relevant though...

What if...  you woke up in the middle of the night, and confronted a stranger in your dark house and he pulled up "what looked like a shotgun" and you shot him.... only to find it was a disoriented old man, lost, using his cane to see in the dark, who misshaped into the wrong house because you left your door unlocked that night.... No jury would fault a civilian for that.

You make a valid point.

you have to make it relevant though...

What if...  you woke up in the middle of the night, and confronted a stranger in your dark house and he pulled up "what looked like a shotgun" and you shot him.... only to find it was a disoriented old man, lost, using his cane to see in the dark, who misshaped into the wrong house because you left your door unlocked that night.... No jury would fault a civilian for that.

Fair enough. Then a jury should decide.

Not very likely though.

A badge does not invalidate mistakes.

Possibly this officer is simply not cut out for the job.

Everyone's life would be a lot simpler if we were allowed to shoot anyone who frightens us.

I would like to add. They were not in the officer's home but rather a public street which both had equal rights to occupy.

True, but the officer was lawfully there and in the performance of his duties. He did make a mistake and there is certainly civil liability. After reviewing the video, I am not sure what the DA or AUSA could charge him with. it will likely be presented before a grand jury and no billed. The Department will be sued and will settle for a large sum of money.

I agree this officer may not be cut out for the job. As I get older, my critique of younger officers is that they are too trigger and taser happy. As outraged as I am about this old man getting shot, I have to refocus through the lens of how I might have responded as a uniformed officer during this stop. The simple and honest answer is that I just don't know. Remember what we see and are processing from the dash cam are not necessarily the same as the officer is at the time.

Edited by StainTrain

All good thoughts.

I'm very glad the situation wasn't deadly.

As to the OP, I haven't been pulled over for 25 years or so but I know better than to get out. I watch COPS.

Wish I could say the same I've had my fair shares most went very well, actually all but one went well. As a group of motorcycles we were rolling road blocked by 3 state troopers and an off duty IL state patrol (he called us in my buddy was rockin wheelies for miles on his 900rr). I was yanked literally off my bike (500ex) and harassed by this short fat old trooper, I wasn't rude or il mannered with him he was just really pissed my buddy was doing wheelies on "his" highway. I lost my cool after he askede if I wanted to fight him. At that point I replied "in all due respect sir that would be alittle unfair, and I think your acting like a complete jackass, if I did my job like you I'd be fired." I fully expected to be arrested at this point. He replied oh do you would you like to speak with my commanding officer? I told him yea yea I do and he gave me their cards with his badge number I wrote them and a few other officials letters but never heard a peep. It was the most unprofessional act I think I've ever seen and I'm glad two of my best friends witnessed it.

Saw this video over the weekend on Youtube very sad !

I keep my hands on the wheel until asked to move people are a little edgy around boarders and drug runners. This last year has been a rise in car chase and shootings in my little town. I don't mind.

Just like to add , Turn on your dome light on at night ! 

All good thoughts.

I'm very glad the situation wasn't deadly.

As to the OP, I haven't been pulled over for 25 years or so but I know better than to get out. I watch COPS.

I'm on the other side of the scale on this issue. I have been pulled over. More than 30 times since I got my driver license at 16. Fast cars will do that. Never been impeared, always respectful and polite. Had a stretch of 15 pull overs with out a ticket. Also been cuffed and stuffed a couple of times and lost license twice plus an assload of tickets. Even had a helicopter overhead with the bright lights on me.

My advice is to do as told and follow all instructions. Turn your dome light on at night and make the officer comfortable it is a high stress situation for both parties involved. You may talk your way out of a ticket. Be a Dick and you may go to jail and pay.

There was a motorcop here who died Sunday, Sean McKenzie another sad event.

I agree this officer may not be cut out for the job. As I get older, my critique of younger officers is that they are too trigger and taser happy. As outraged as I am about this old man getting shot, I have to refocus through the lens of how I might have responded as a uniformed officer during this stop. The simple and honest answer is that I just don't know. Remember what we see and are processing from the dash cam are not necessarily the same as the officer is at the time.

I personally find it hard to come to the conclusion that he isn't cut out for the job. He did what he felt was necessary in the moment, and then showed remorse when he realized his mistake. I find that far preferable to someone who would realize that action was justifiable and wouldn't show any remorse whatsoever. That the guy has a heart showed through. I admire the fact that he acted as he thought he needed to without hesitation. My only suggestion to that officer would be to practice making his deadly force more deadly. In this case, I'm mostly thrilled that everyone lived. I imagine it's much easier to live with shooting an old man in the legs, than it is to kill an innocent.

Check out this video, it's 15 seconds long before a Trooper is dead, and it serves to illustrate that if you hesitate at all you're a goner.

Edited by Matt.Cross

You are correct and I should have left my comment a little more middle of the road absent any other available facts. Incidents like this are more common than people realize and it is difficult not lump this officer in with others that were oblivious to the mistake and responded in a foolish and in some cases an incorrect manner.

LE is dangerous business. As dash cams have proven you can do everything right and still buy the farm.

Edited by StainTrain

Check out this video, it's 15 seconds long before a Trooper is dead, and it serves to illustrate that if you hesitate at all you're a goner.

Matt, thank you for finding this video. I get chills every time I see it. I looked for it, but couldn't remember enough details.

The shooter in this video was a 72 year old man, armed with a .30 carbine. The man shot the trooper in the head.... over a seatbelt ticket.

I am going to seek permission from the posters to upload both videos together. They're actually very good parallel scenarios to help explain why these things happen and how to avoid them.

Mr. Robobot, I worry about you for both these reasons among others. The central valley has allot more bafoons and apathetic people then any other community I've ever visited. I would imagine both problems are much more likely here then most other places. Having been involved in some neighborhood  watch incidences, I have tried to educate and encourage people not to act threatening in front of police but it usually falls on def ears. Just last week I had a very good friend use body language to describe a physical confrontation between him and a local drug dealer. He was getting carried away and the cop he was explaining it to was within arms reach. Fortunately the cop was easy going and didn't react much to it.

Back in the 70's when taking drivers ed. we were told that if we got pulled over to get out and go to the cop so as not to piss him off,especially if it was raining.So a couple of years ago I get a ticket and proceeded to get out of the car and was told to get back in and stay put.I explained to the officer why I was getting out and he said "things are different now".

Same with me Rene,but it was the 60's lol and the police liked for you to do that here.....but got pulled over in the 90's, and the officer had a hissy fit when I got out....so things change....now its stay in the vehicle with both hands on the wheel :) Wash

Same with me Rene,but it was the 60's lol and the police liked for you to do that here.....but got pulled over in the 90's, and the officer had a hissy fit when I got out....so things change....now its stay in the vehicle with both hands on the wheel :) Wash

They obviously learned over time that they'd rather write you a ticket in the rain then risk getting off duty in a bag.