• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New from Montana

sandog

Hi. I am from south central Montana but have been working in the oil fields in eastern Montana and western North Dakota for the last year. I've hunted, reloaded and been a shooter for 40 years. Spent a few years in the Army, most of my enlistment was spent in Alaska. My MOS was small arms repair, built several AR's to my liking, mostly with Armalite uppers. I am left handed, so usually have to do a few things to make things more comfortable, like an ambi charging handle and ambi safety and mag catch. I have been getting bored with the 5.56mm caliber and wanted to get into the large frame rifles. I ran across a slightly used Remington R-25 in .243 and  thought it would be good for prairie dogs out where I'm working, and I could eventually get another upper in .308. I have a Remington heavy barrel bolt in .308 and a Steyr FAL, so no hurry on getting the 308. The R-25 will get an aftermarket trigger soon as the stock one has tons of creep. The supplied 4 round DPMS mag causes FTF's so I have already purchased some Magpul P mag's. The camo finish doesn't seem all that durable, if it doesn't hold up it will get bead blasted and I will Cerakote it. One thing I want to replace is the bolt release. The stock one is kinda small and hard for me to hit. Does anyone know of a bolt release  with a larger pad that will fit the LR 308's ? I have used Wilson Combat ones on my 5.56mm rifles but not sure if those will fit the 308 size rifles. Thanks in advance for the help, glad to be on board here.

Montana seems to be the best place in the country to live if you want a .308 AR. SI Defense and NEMO... Plus PROOF Research is dabbling in accurized models.

Check out:

BAD Inc. - Ambi Safety Lever

Norgon Ambi Mag Release

You can put an AR15 bolt release in a .308.... but it will eventually break. Besides a Phase5 Extended release, I can't think of anything else.

Thanks, all for the welcome. Robocop, I already put my Norgon release in ! I also changed out the CH latch with a Badger ambi, better than it was, but I will check out the Tac-Ops 1. I thought I saw other members on here mention that they were using a Rainier Arms Raptor on their LR-308's. I looked at their website and they call their ambi CH the 5.56. I emailed them a couple times asking if they have a model for the 308 variants but no answer from them.

Well.....obviously I'm gonna suggest an Armalite bolt release. <laughs>

It'll fit fine, bit it won't add any additional real-estate in which to manipulate the bolt catch/release.

Almost worth it to buy one of the various "extended release" products, and then cut the lever off short.

Magpul

Troy

Phase5

Tactical Link

Robocop, thanks for the links. The Troy says it's not compatible with AR-308's. I like the Tactical Link one, a large pad and the lever doesn't extend down into the trigger guard as other levers. Also on the Tactical Link site I ran across the Lancer 7.62 Mags. They are not cheap, but I just need a 5 rounder for deer, antelope, etc. and maybe a 10 rounder for varminting, as the DPMS panther 4 round mag I have doesn't work worth a hoot. For 20 round magazines I can buy more of the Magpuls for under $20.

Robocop, thanks for the links. The Troy says it's not compatible with AR-308's. I like the Tactical Link one, a large pad and the lever doesn't extend down into the trigger guard as other levers.

I'd cut the lever off if I didn't need it. Being a South-Paw, you'd never really use the lever on regular shooting. The only reason why it doesn't "fit" a .308 it because the lever isn't bent to go through the trigger hole. If you cut the lever off, and just take advantage of the oversized real-estate, you'd gain quite a bit.

Also on the Tactical Link site I ran across the Lancer 7.62 Mags. They are not cheap, but I just need a 5 rounder for deer, antelope, etc. and maybe a 10 rounder for varminting, as the DPMS panther 4 round mag I have doesn't work worth a hoot. For 20 round magazines I can buy more of the Magpuls for under $20.

Best 5 round magazine I have... Custom "Stubby" Magpul LR20

OP, call Seekins Precision and tell them that you need their new AR-15 bolt release for the 308 AR rifles.  They intend on making it, and will - but the more people that call them and ask for it, the faster it'll be manufactured.  When they see the demand... 

0011510001---enhanced-bolt-catch_1.png

• 1 month later...