• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New here and to the AR-10

brick13

Hi all,  i'm new to this forum and new to the AR-10 platform, but not new to weapons. former LEO and trained police sniper. Helped form the first SWAT Team for an agency here and was a member. most of that was about 35 years ago but some things never leave you. Almost retired now and still doing fraud investigation for a local county agency.

have a variety of guns and just picked up our DPMS LR-308 two weeks ago. Still need to clean it and do some range work. i went through basic with the M-1 and my son sent through with the M-16. He knows both like the back of his hand. so far i am very impressed with the weapon. I chose this over another because these guys are still an independent manufacturer? I think?

it's a pleasure meeting fellow weapon lovers and i hope that i may be able to help with some of my meager knowledge on other weapons as well as draw from here.

thanks and take care, bill

Uh oh brick, you made a forum faux pax. We always forgive the first one. Lol

Only Armalite makes an AR-10. It's kinda like saying you own a Mustang, when you bought a Chevy Camero. We try to generalize the rifles as "308AR's" but even that gets confusing as guys build .260, .243, .338 and so on.

Good to see some of you old timers evolving to the newer format... and who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Welcome aboard our ship of misfits and miscreants... and thank you for your service.

Welcome from AZ!!

I would no longer consider DPMS "independent" since they got acquired by the Freedom Group and make the same firearms for Bushmaster and Remington, albeit with different branding. :D

No doubt the R15/R25 are made by DPMS, but I'm pretty sure Bushmaster is its own operation... despite having the same parent company.

thank you to one and all! i'm sorry for the mistake on the designation??  like i said, i'm new to this type of weapon!!  but i'll learn quick. and i should have learned to check things out before saying who bought who??  i went to a bass pro shop and figured they hire folks with knowledge in the business.......

anyway, i attached the front and rear sight today, then ran out of time to learn the dissamble and clean routine....i learned on open sights so i'm going to see how the first time at the range goes. i learned point shooting with both eyes open in LE and its still easy to quickly acquire target..this will be a real test of open sights for me......this will be my all around weapon for about everything, except where i cant carry it but my S&W 59 will do in those cases. my all time favorite for close encounters is a short shotgun with "00". the grips in my pic are for a riding buddy that needed another set for his Sauer single action 357.

unforgiven, thanks for the reply........my son loves his garand also!!

i see where a lot of folks live where i have family and friends......the world is getting smaller!!

anyway, i attached the front and rear sight today, then ran out of time to learn the dissamble and clean routine....i learned on open sights so i'm going to see how the first time at the range goes. i learned point shooting with both eyes open in LE and its still easy to quickly acquire target..this will be a real test of open sights for me.

Open sights and both eyes totally rocks.

No doubt the R15/R25 are made by DPMS, but I'm pretty sure Bushmaster is its own operation... despite having the same parent company.

Don't think so. They moved the entire Bushmaster operation out of Windham and I believe DPMS is making them now. The ex-Bushmaster contract machine shops in the area came together and set up Windham Weaponry...

unforgiven, i have a family member in Greensburg......

Sketch, have one there too.....but she's my sister and she can stay there!!!  hahahaha

gnatshooter, once you learn its hard to quickly focus on anything else unless you are positioned right..

thanks to everyone else for clearing up the manufacturer topic......i now know who made my weapon....