• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

So here is my range report!

Cali_Ed

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want to make sure your gas block is aligned properly on the barrel , it will take a good measuring tool ( Dial or Digital caliper ) a short piece of rod , one will have to be short enough to fit into the inside of the gas block . 

The barrel measurement will be easy , take a drill bit that is as close to the barrels gas port inside diameter & measure the distance from the drill bit or rod to the seating shoulder on the barrel & write it down , next take the short rod & insert it in the gas hole inside the gas block & measure the distance from it to the face of the gas block that seats against the barrel flange on the barrel .

With those two measurements you will see where the gas block needs to be set for getting full coverage of the opening in the gas port of the barrel . Most gas blocks have a larger port hole then the barrels port hole , so there is some fudge room. When using a larger dia. pin for the gas block port hole , you can subtract the difference in dia. by half or leave it alone as long as you know that port hole is over the barrel port hole  I use the depth gage part of the caliper to measure the inside port of the gas block.

As far as lining up the ports ,using a marker as you did with the pencil to make sure they are aligned with each other & gas tube is straight into the upper receiver.The eye ball method of aligning the mark on the gas block & barrel seems to me to work the best .

Taking the measurements like this will tell you if the gas block can be seated up against the barrels shoulder or it needs to be backed off a bit , because some barrels & gas blocks are made for the use of the mounting ring or end plate for an A2 hand guard.I measure to make sure & not take it for granted.

Its sounds more difficult than it is & I have photo's of measuring ,some where, if I can find them. I don't have a barrel & gas block off a rifle to show , right now .

Was this barrel /bolt head spaced ?

Edited by survivalshop

Yep. Built all but one of them. Though to be fair, Two of the uppers were bought as complete assemblies.

Don't go getting defensive on me my man. I've got two of the DPMS/SR-25 patterned rifles myself. One complete, and one receiver set waiting to be built.

Yes I bought the barrel from jp and came with the bolt. While I was cleaning it last night when I took the gas block of, underneath er the barrel it looked like the gas block moved. I can see the little thread marks indicating it slid. I applied some locate this time

If it ends up being a gas problem am I better off with a slash buffer or a adjustable gas block? I aligned the gas block with pencil marks lo

If you used quality components, don't be too quick to change things out. Mine took ~120 rounds to break in. I also had a loose barrel nut. Once everything was adjusted and broken in, perfect function.