• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

So here is my range report!

Cali_Ed

Yes to your first question

Does it strip the next round from the magazine? If not, definitely short stroking and would recommend the lighter buffer.

how do I go about loading it? Like putting pressure on it?

Bipod loading is when you apply forward pressure on the bipod so that it has tension with the surface it's resting on. You can do this by getting the feet of the bipod firmly planted on the surface they're on and then slightly leaning into the gun. This prevents movement due to imbalance, and other external factors, and helps make you more stable. Once you see how much more stable you are loading a bipod, you'll never want to use sandbag rests again.

Edited by FaRKle!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for the first part of your comment it would load the next round into the chamber.

So was the empty casing still in the bolt and the next round in the mag on its way up into the chamber?

Did this happen with multiple magazines?

Edited by FaRKle!

I was using only one gen3 pmag, round would load into chamber and some how empty case would be behind it or sticking out

Hrm, if you have another mag, see if the same malfunction happens with it. Double-feeds are usually caused by a bad mag. I assume you've already checked your ejector (with BCG out of the gun seat a spent casing onto the bolt, then let go and watch the brass fly).

Edited by FaRKle!

Maybe the brass catcher caused it?

Well that's an important detail!

I've seen brass catchers induce stovepipes (tail of brass is caught between BCG and receiver with top of brass sticking out) due to the brass hitting the catcher before it clears the upper receiver completely. I haven't seen the brass bounce back into the upper though (so that it's not partially out of the receiver). Let us know if this happens without the catcher.

Edited by FaRKle!

If you load one round in the one live round in the mag. & fire it , does the bolt hold open on this last shot ? If it does , your not under gassed. Use this method to check your different ammo types. You may need to disassemble the bolt to inspect it . 

Don't read into this that all built rifles need an extensive break in . The problem with most of these builds is probably miss matched parts to build them , nothing wrong with the procedure , but they, as a complete component group have not been tested to see if they play well together , as with any rifle manufacturers components . The term Frankengun is what some of these builds are , because they are a gathering of parts from different manufacturers.

To say one of these frankenguns are not up to par as a factory manufactured rifle is probably true with a novice building the rifle. Now, have a custom rifle builder or a good rifle smith build one & you will not have these problems , wonder why , because they use known components , that work for them & also they know how to fit them .

Now before you say ," I've built six of these rifles & don't have problems , what are you talking about " , well really, you've build six or what ever number & had no problems .Try a couple of hundred of these type rifles & then you have a right to say your a rifle builder.

My testing of built rifles to all of my customers is , once the rifle has gone through the safety testing , making sure all in the FCG works & it passes the one round test & holds the BCG back , then two rounds & then three rounds fired to make sure its not doing anything funny , then my final test is to take four( & sometimes more ) fully loaded mags & fire & reload full mags as fast as I can ,until they are all gone & if I get no failures , the rifle is done & is cleaned for inspection before the customer gets it .

If you want to know if I have any builds fail this test , I can say no . I did have a CMMG 308 lower that started malfunctioning when the Magpul LR Pmags first came out , it did pass the test with DPMS mags . No matter what I did , it would not function with Pmags , steel , no problem . That CMMG lower is not in use any more , a DPMS lower took its place & works with any mag. now .

I'm not saying this to insult anyones capabilities , but you are most likely building a untested rifle platform & some tweaking may need to be done to make it function correctly . The manufacturers builders ( which are people just like us ) have it easy , the components they are assembling have been extensively tested for there use.

Edited by survivalshop

800 meters

Tighter groups than that at 800 meters!!? I don't think you are going to get any tighter. That looks like just over 2" with the 175's, which translates to just over 1/4 MOA. That is high end bolt action accuracy.

What kind of barrel are you running?

Edited by Owl21