• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another Malaysian Airliner downed.

shibiwan

This just breaking: 

Another Malaysian Airline plane crashes, this time in Ukraine. Could have been shot down, but separatist rebels are denying any responsibility.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/07/17/malaysia-airlines-jet-reportedly-crashes-in-ukraine/

http://www.kpho.com/story/26044289/official-malaysian-plane-shot-down-over-ukraine

Edited by shibiwan

rule #1 for pilots.....do not plan your route over contested borders and hot zones Wash

When I flew to china my tv screen had a channel with a world map, looking at it was like that's strange why are we flying so far into Russia, yea it was to go around North Korea........

This one went down from a surface to air missile...  Not good.

Gotta wait to see the data/evidence. Photos thus far have not shown any smoke trail from the said "missile". I've also noticed that the fragments/pieces shown so far on TV/CNN/Fox does not show fragmentation type damage typical of a proximity burst. Probably still too early to call one way or the other.

Edited by shibiwan

Well this muddys the waters I saw this earlier but cannot confirm what source it came from, just a local news page posted it on Facebook with no source.  I did a little searching and no major sources are reporting this.

"But at the same time as the Malaysian Airlines jetliner went down, Radio Free Europe reported, Ukrainian rebel leader Igor Strelkov announced on Russian social networking site VKontakte that a Ukrainian transport plane had been shot down: "In the vicinity of Torez, we just downed a plane, an AN-26. ... We have issued warnings not to fly in our airspace. We have video confirming. The bird fell on a waste heap. Residential areas were not hit. Civilians were not injured." Strelkov linked to two videos, reportedly of the downed airplane. After news broke that the Malaysian Airlines plane had gone down, he deleted the post about the AN-26."

Well this muddys the waters I saw this earlier but cannot confirm what source it came from, just a local news page posted it on Facebook with no source.  I did a little searching and no major sources are reporting this.

"But at the same time as the Malaysian Airlines jetliner went down, Radio Free Europe reported, Ukrainian rebel leader Igor Strelkov announced on Russian social networking site VKontakte that a Ukrainian transport plane had been shot down: "In the vicinity of Torez, we just downed a plane, an AN-26. ... We have issued warnings not to fly in our airspace. We have video confirming. The bird fell on a waste heap. Residential areas were not hit. Civilians were not injured." Strelkov linked to two videos, reportedly of the downed airplane. After news broke that the Malaysian Airlines plane had gone down, he deleted the post about the AN-26."

Airplane identification fail. How can you mistake a 777 for an AN26 

Boeing 777

300px-United_Airlines_777_N797UA_LAX.jpg

AN-26

300px-An-26_Ni%C2%B5_Nishava_Serbien_Mar

When they're both side by side at 26,000 feet AGL, you point you the 777 to me.  Is it the one on the left, or...    ?

IF they are side by side at 26,000 feet (or even 33,000 feet), the AN-26 would still be half (wingspan ~95ft vs ~200 ft) the size of the 777. Having them side by side makes it easy! Same goes for the mini vs excursion at 26,000 ft.   <lmao>  <laughs>

just giving Tom his daily dose of cråp.  :hethan:

Edited by shibiwan

"We thought it was an AN-26, so we are justified," is just as valid an excuse for a bad shoot as any other for shooting the wrong target.

Ironically, a couple of days ago, I just read a crappy article titled "Documented CIA Assasination Attempts:  Hits & Misses".  The USA and the West are not above removing national leaders that prove to be thorny in their side.

EDIT:  Oh yeah...looks like Malaysian Airways is the new Korean Air Lines.

Edited by planeflyer21

"We have just shot down a plane," says a man the SBU identified as Igor Bezler, a Russian military intelligence officer and leading commander of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic.

I called it, Shibi...   :fawkdance:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/07/18/smoking-gun-intercepted-calls-point-finger-in-jet-downing-at-russian/