• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

barrel heat and accuracy

Cali_Ed

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question that I have not seen addressed.  Is the first shot a cold clean barrel or just a cold barrel?

A bullet shot out of a clean barrel often shoots to a slightly different place than bullets shot out of a dirty barrel.  I shoot a fouling shot or three and then let the barrel cool before I try to shoot for a tight group or whenever I sight in a rifle.  I also do not clean the bore of a hunting rifle during the season unless I can shoot it again before a hunt.

I shoot a fouling shot or three and then let the barrel cool before I try to shoot for a tight group or whenever I sight in a rifle.  I also do not clean the bore of a hunting rifle during the season unless I can shoot it again before a hunt.

Are you saying you shoot fouling shots even if you didn't clean the barrel previously? Why do you need to do that?

I have a question that I have not seen addressed.  Is the first shot a cold clean barrel or just a cold barrel?

A bullet shot out of a clean barrel often shoots to a slightly different place than bullets shot out of a dirty barrel.  I shoot a fouling shot or three and then let the barrel cool before I try to shoot for a tight group or whenever I sight in a rifle.  I also do not clean the bore of a hunting rifle during the season unless I can shoot it again before a hunt.

It was touched on in the second post. 

This could be a lot of things.  If you keep a data book, you should always track your cold bore shift.  Your knowledge of the cold bore shift is what makes it an accurate shot, not the most accurate.  You can either drive the rifle to hit where you want it to or you can't, which is why I suggest precision rifle courses for newer precision shooters.

I will say that an 1.5 inches is a little excessive (from my experience)  It may be a combination of cold bore and cold shooter. Your coming off the rifle from your first shot then back on for your follow up.  It may be that you strip your barrel of its bearing surface each time you clean it from the range.  It could be that your barrel is more budget conscience for the type of accuracy/performance you are expecting from it.  There are a lot of things at play....including your application of the fundamentals.  I see shooters blame their equipment when they should be blaming themselves and other times shootings saying they pulled the 5th shot, which opened up their group, when the rifle (barrel) they purchased isn't capable of pulling off sub-sub-MOA.  I don't expect my Mustang to keep up with a McLaren just because I properly apply the fundamentals of driving.  Know your limitations....know the limitation of your equipment.   

Now to your question.  I don't wait for a barrel to cool down between shots or any of that jazz.  I shoot within time limits provided at the number of targets assigned to me.   How your barrel manages heat can and will cause some adjustment/shift in POI...yes heat will affect accuracy.

Now a couple of questions:

Who is the manufacturer of this barrel?

What is the weight/Profile of this barrel?

What type of ammo where you pushing down the pipe?

What type of support are you using to stabilize the rifle?

Do you aggressively clean the rifle after each range session?

Stain

"It may be that you strip your barrel of its bearing surface each time you clean it from the range. 

Do you aggressively clean the rifle after each range session?

Stain"

I saw that but I never saw where the OP answered whether his barrel was clean and cold or just cold.   If it is clean and cold,  that may explain a lot.

I do only if I am starting out with a clean barrel.

Ditto a cold clean bore shot in my rifles is always off after 1 or 2 fouling shots she is right as rain so as habit I clean and de copper since I shoot a lot of barnes bullets the go out in the yard and shoot two fouling shots into the bank and lock her up it is ready to go....

What are you resting the Bipod on ? I use a small , folded rag under the legs feet , if I'm on a bench , especially if its made of Concrete . The harmonics make them bounce. Definitely sand bag rests help , both front & back .

they have carpet on the benches

Try some 168gr.  I know people wax poetically on the interwebs about its transsonic stability or lack thereof, but it still performs quite well in 10, 11.25 and 12 twist barrels.

That was my first thought. Transonic will only make a difference at the longer ranges. Second, stay away from coffee, mountain dew, and other caffeinated drinks on range day. It sounds stupid, but it helps. Third, are you practicing breathing control when you shoot? If you can borrow a lead sled, try it with that. The idea is to remove every variable and see if you are still getting that spread after the first shot. Also, try shooting the first shot off the target, and then see if you are still getting the spread with the next four or five.

I try to relax my breathing as much as I can. I'll have to try shooting one of target I want to get out with just a bag but haven't had a chance. As for the caffeine I really don't drink it so I don't think that's an issue. Maybe I'll try shooting righty lol

I am straight up right handed. Shooting right handed only has cost me a couple of deer. I try to remember to practice shooting left handed now. And I'm capable of it but no where near as good left handed as I am right handed. And I still haven't figured out how to do the whole ambidextrous bow thing

• 4 weeks later...