• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas Block Choices....please help

D.R.D.

Thanks guys.  Wash, I'm only looking at adjustable's, otherwise I like your choice.

Advantages vs. disadvantages of the clamp-on vs. set screw models?

What's the advantage of the SLR?  Easier to switch pressures? Are the other brands less effective?  Have issues?  etc.  SLR looks nice, good reviews, but almost 2-3x the price.

SLR, set screw.

Set screws with a dimpled barrel are more secure than clamp ons.

Avoid aluminum gas blocks. That's a horrible choice for a gas block!

Why ,have you had them come loose ?   Why do you figure two little set screws are superior to a clamp block , that completely surrounds the barrel with clamping pressure .

The set screw type only pushes the top inner part of the gas block against the top of the barrel , there will always be a gap , although small , at the set screw point . Having the dimples on the Barrel does help that type .

owl21 - sweet find. What does anyone know about this "Givati Co. USA"?

I am not an expert on adjustable gas blocks by any means, but I think the down fall to one listed requires a set screw to lock the adjustment screw after gas is set.  I think that was one of the big downfalls in adjustable gas blocks when they first came out.  The SLR and some of the other more expensive adjustable gas blocks use  a spring and bearing to lock the set screw in place with each adjustment.  Another thing is some gas blocks will not allow you to fully close off the gas.  I think it is the old saying you get what you pay for.  I bought the clamp on style for the same facts that Survival Shop mentioned.  I prefer equal clamping pressure.  If you are concerned with the screws coming loose on the clamp on style you can use Rocksett.  I put Rocksett on one of my DD clamp on gas blocks and I had to submerge it in boiling water to get it break free.  I don't see it coming loose on you.

Why ,have you had them come loose ?   Why do you figure two little set screws are superior to a clamp block , that completely surrounds the barrel with clamping pressure .

The set screw type only pushes the top inner part of the gas block against the top of the barrel , there will always be a gap , although small , at the set screw point . Having the dimples on the Barrel does help that type .

With a dimpled barrel and set screw in it there's no way mechanically for the block to rotate. With a clamp on style they can rotate (not saying they always will, but it's possible).

There is a report out there some where , that talks about the set screw & Milspec tapered pin type of attachment of gas blocks , saying that ( They did the research to back it up ) those two types of attachments can change the impact of the bullet down range. I don't remember how much, but something in the way they put pressure points on the out side of the barrel , which interrupts the bullet path down the barrel , because they interrupt the pressure wave that is made by the bullet going down the barrel .

Now how much is probably another matter of debate or if it really matters to those who don't shoot long range matches.

I have a A2 mil spec pined front sight on a  1-10 ,24 " , 5.56  Oly. Ultra Match barreled AR & that is a fantastic shooter for thirty years & I don't think the pined gas block hampers its accuracy , but I'm not shooting matches with it , so to me its a non point of view.

This might be a good one for the Barrel Harmonics thread . <lmao>

Survival shop, it'd be cool if you could find that article / study!

Didn't any one tell you I was old & have a hard enough time remembering what day it is & now you expect met to find something I read years ago , is this a test ? <laughs>

I would not worry about the difference , because I think for any effect on the barrel , it would have to be extreme pressure on it . I will look around & I don't think it was an the inter web that I read it .

I am not an expert on adjustable gas blocks by any means, but I think the down fall to one listed requires a set screw to lock the adjustment screw after gas is set. 

This particular gas block does not have a set screw for locking the adjusting screw. Whether or not that becomes a downfall remains to be seen.

I'm in for the information in this thread considering I have not bought the gas block for my build yet. Surprised the Syrac Ordinance hasn't gained more discussion here.  I've been considering it because of it's detent locking mechanism.

After looking over the SLR I get the impression it's using a similar approach?

Interested in knowing more about the clamp on vs dimple/set screw argument and what effect on accuracy (if any) is seen in the real world.  You know, practical application.  Not theory and conjecture.

Edited by AdamO