• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

zq 7.62X51 ammo good?

pokey

• 3 weeks later...

7.95 a box!? dang!

Yes, I like this ammo. I am kinda poor... so plinking with the 308 isn't much of an option, but this ammo goes bang every time for me so far, and accuracy has been acceptable for my skill level. (I am not a good enough shooter to notice the difference between a .5 moa load and a 1.5moa load, because I probably don't shoot better than 2-3 moa anyways)

I stock up on this ammo, and I reload it, and I actually prefer it to Winchester white box for reloading. The cases seem to be polished more nicely, but more important, seating the primers is very nice in this ammo. It is click click and its right, whereas the Winchester white box leaves me guessing, and I simply try to apply the same amount of pressure on each round.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking for exactly this thread! Yes, the ZQ ammo has been on sale and even on double sale at Wallymart, since November. If you are lucky, you may get it for 7.97 a box. You have to ask them to "scan it" though. The regular price is often the only price shown. 17.97

Every one I have put through goes off and cycles perfectly! I am glad to see that no one has had issues with it so far as DPMS does have a thing against using much foreign ammo.

Shot some this weekend through a couple bolt guns and the AR - for a deviance-from-zero kinda accuracy, I didn't change any scope settings on any .308 firearms.  The ZQ was still banging steel at 100 yards through all of them.  It can't be far off at shorter distances, but I'd still like to try it at 300 and 400 and see how it does, compared to PMC Bronze 147gr..  Definitely passes the test as range ammo, no doubt.  I'll reload the cases and see how it does that way.  3rd or 4th loading should tell me if the brass is good, in that respect.

I have reloaded the brass twice, but i am about as scientific as a rock. What I can say is that the primer pockets seat very nicely and consistently, much better than Winchester white box. The primer seems to click twice and be set, whereas the WWB never gives any feel. I have crushed a few primers in WWB when I first reload them after awhile because I forget that I have nothing to feel for when they are set properly.

I have reloaded the brass twice, but i am about as scientific as a rock. What I can say is that the primer pockets seat very nicely and consistently, much better than Winchester white box. The primer seems to click twice and be set, whereas the WWB never gives any feel. I have crushed a few primers in WWB when I first reload them after awhile because I forget that I have nothing to feel for when they are set properly.

Try a hand priming tool , you can feel everything . Tight feel  or your double click ,may have some kind of primer crimp .

Edited by survivalshop

Well, I can tell you all one thing about the ZQ1 9mm ammo, that schitt is loaded HOT!!!!

My daughter and I shot a box of Fiocchi FMJ through that Kel Tec PF9 I got at the NRA banquet and it was pretty decent shooting considering the gun is a pretty light piece. We then started shooting the ZQ1 through it. She shot about 5 rounds and wouldn't shoot any more of it and I got through a couple of magazines full before I said fuk that! The 240 gr. 44 magnum ammo I shot in my Anaconda felt pretty good after that 9mm!

So I've got about 3 &1/2 boxes of the ZQ1 left. I'm going to give it to my buddy to shoot in his Smith M&P! <lmao>

Edited by 392heminut

So I've got about 3 &1/2 boxes of the ZQ1 left. I'm going to give it to my buddy to shoot in his Smith M&P! <lmao>

That's fukked up.  <laughs>

I do the same thing to friends that want to shoot the 930 SPX.  They don't pay attention, and I load it for them.  First thing in the tube is a magnum slug, then all #8 birdshot.  They shoot a couple, look over and smile, and I say "Finish it off - Don't stop until it's empty!"  :yup:

That last one gets 'em!  <lmao>

Blah blah blah blahblahblah through that Kel Tec PF9 I got at the NRA banquet blah blah blah blah! <lmao>

Just can't quit reminding us about all your banquet guns, can you? 

I like a LOT of the European ammo because they DO load it hot!  When i had the P32 it was S&B and Fiocchi ammo for that.