• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you prefer? .270 or 30 06 and why?

Sharkey

The terminal ballistics are about the same at 500 yds for the same kinds of ammo. I just shoot plain ole CoreLokts pointed soft points because that is what I can get anywhere. At 400 yds the .270/130gr has 936ft/lbs of energy and the .30/180gr has 1105ft/lbs. The difference is that the .270 is dropping 43.3" and the 30-06 is dropping 54"

Your comparing a 130 gr. bullet to a 180 gr. bullet , the Velocity of the 130gr. is what is matching the slower 180 gr. & you can put those theoretical statistics from a load calculation all you want , but you will find the 180 gr, 30'06 will print a better group at 500 yards, wind or not , it doesn't take much being off , for the bullet to miss or wound at those types of ranges. We all know the wind is going to play havoc on a light bullet & that's just from my experience.

I'm already on record ,that for hunting cartridge , there is little difference between the two.

I read not too long ago, that the 30'06 is the most popular hunting cartage in the USA & the 30'30 was next . <dontknow>

Edited by survivalshop

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 choices - .270 or 30 06, all other things, rifle, optics, conditions, all the same.  You have 1 minute to drop down and hit 5 cantaloupe sized targets at ranges from 500 to 800 yards.

Which round would you choose of the 2?

either way in a bolt gun it will have to be way more than just a hunting rifle way way more 500 yards no problem but 800 you will need a very good barrel, scope probably 2 grand in that alone, another 3 in a trigger and alot of extra reloading gear to work up a pet load for said gun  I thought we were talking hunting rifle here ......if you want to shoot long range build a single shot 7mm STW... or a 6mm 284

Plain and simple, the 30-06.   Ammo everywhere, and a bullet for everything.

OH!   Michael, my wife is planing on shooting a bison, next year.   The ranch people said anything over a 270,  BUT!  No remington ammo!!!!!!!

They have had problems with  remington ammo   not working well on the bison.

Respectfully

Terry

This is "mostly" excellent input guys and I appreciate it. 

Going to be getting my wife a new Glock soon and going to be tossing in a new rifle for me and once I make the buy, I'll let you know what I come up with.  I've got something special in mind but keeping kinda quiet about it till I actually get one in my hands.

Keep the info flowing if you've got some though cuz it all counts.

God Bless

Plain and simple, the 30-06. Ammo everywhere, and a bullet for everything.

OH! Michael, my wife is planing on shooting a bison, next year. The ranch people said anything over a 270, BUT! No remington ammo!!!!!!!

They have had problems with remington ammo not working well on the bison.

Respectfully

Terry

Yea that corelok stuff is JUNK!!!

Sig Sauer SP2022 for her, P227 for him. Remington ammo fine for whitetails, critters Bison size do your research as to what is preferred. Friend had a Winchester ammo primer failure this year in 30-06 missed out on a big buck. So bad ammo can come from a lot of sources.

Sig Sauer SP2022 for her, P227 for him. Remington ammo fine for whitetails, critters Bison size do your research as to what is preferred. Friend had a Winchester ammo primer failure this year in 30-06 missed out on a big buck. So bad ammo can come from a lot of sources.

I've heard numerous horror stories about corelok, one being my own. When I was 21 I picked up my rem 30-06 figured rem gun why not rem ammo. Went to the local gun club for sight in days, they bore sighted it put me on 100 got it dialed it went to 200 couldn't hit the broad side of a barn went thru 2 boxes of shells. Old guy comes over asked if he could shoot it, Notta. Asks what I'm shooting told him corelok, he says eh those things are junk come back next week with Feds or winchester and we'll get you going. I've been shooting winchester ever since