• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you prefer? .270 or 30 06 and why?

Sharkey

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

certain things are just plain good enough my 270 is the only bolt gun I own now.... it just works I would not be afraid to shoot anything in North America including a charging grizzlycause he is going to get 130 grains of pure barnes copper right in the noggin....

I'v got a number of different guns in the safe.

Everything from the 22 hornet to the 458 Win Mag.   Semi's, bolts. single shots.

If I had to get rid of everything, but ONE gun, that gun would be my Browning M1885single shot, that I re-barrlled to 7X57 mauser.  With 160 grain old style noslers, it will take anything on earth, even elepanant.

Respectfully

Terry

lol...  Not gonna be going the AP route on anything anytime soon.

So for pinpoint, repeatable accuracy at distances, you don't see any advantage of the 270 over the 06?  Granted, I lean toward the 06 just due to the fact that I haven't bought anything under 30 cal for a lot of years but from everything I've been reading lately, the 270 may have a slight edge when it comes to accuracy.

Smaller round aside, of the 2, when it comes to pinpoint accuracy, are we still picking the 06 over the 270?

The difference is that the .270 is dropping 43.3" and the 30-06 is dropping 54"

That's just for those two specific projectiles/loads, at that specific distance.  There's so much variable data, that it really doesn't matter which one is chosen. 

FYI - I never asked "which one is best".  I asked which people would choose and why?  Simple show of hands and comments.  Not everyone in the shooting game is a complete know-it-all so some of us ask questions.

I've seen the ballistics and done the research and numbers are nice and all but opinions of people that have experience with these calibers are irreplaceable so questions of this nature should not only be appropriate, but the actual REASON for having forums.

What cracks me up is misquotes and people half reading and then making inappropriate comments...  That's always good for some laughs.