• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My first AR

Jose_L

Well I finally got my first rifle, dpms oracle 308.  I went sight it in this weekend and have a couple of question.

Used mobil1 full syn , ran it really wet and cleaned every 5 shots. Shot 20 rnds of tula and 28 rnds of winchester 150grn powerpoints.

When is the barrel considered broken in ?

My scope is a vortex 4-12x50 AO, sighted it in and noticed a big difference in the practice ammo and the hunting ammo. 

But what do you leave the AO set to when hunting ?  Do you have to adjust every time ?  25yds, 50yd, 100yd, 200yds , infinity 

BTW, I've only hunted with a 12g shotgun and my new rifle barely has any recoil.  I do notice the muzzle rise but I could shoot this rifle all day.

Also noticed my casing were ejecting about 2 oclock,   what does that mean ?  over gassed or under gassed ?

Thanks for all the help and advise.

Almost forgot this only cost me $800  ($50 rebate and $300 reward points at basspro)

post-14630-0-06928300-1418662426_thumb.j

Edited by Jose_L

From PROOF Research:
"Don't over think barrel break in."

1. Shoot three shots and then clean
2. Shoot three more shots and then clean again
3. Shoot five more shots and then clean again.
Done  <thumbsup>

Tula ammo is barely worthy of being a combat load, being mostly 147gr FMJ, and also grossly under-powered. The Winchester ammo should have grouped much better and, despite being slightly heavier, were probably flying at a faster velocity. If you switch over to the Lake City NATO ammo, you'll get better results than that communist ammo. That stuff is great for break in and plinking.... and that's about where it ends.

Ejection should be between 2 and 4 o'clock. You're fine as long as it is cycling. 

Comfort can be adjusted easily and affordable. A simple stock and pistol grip swap can be done with standard household tools. A muzzle brake can also make a noticeable difference in shooting, and be done for less that $100. 

You barrel is broken in , but needs a higher round count to season it , shot more & enjoy .

Your Adjustable Objective is used to fine tune focus for range , scope body or knob , should show yardage & they are close , but all eye's are different.

Robo is right , if she is ejecting clean , who cares where they land . Will probably change as round count goes up .

Thanks all,

I already know what I want next, a 12" apex handguard and a  adjustable gas block.  Shooting 100yds is new to me, it will take a lot of practice. :)

Do you recommend a new spring and heavy buffer ? The recoil is not really noticable with 150grain bullets.  Was also considering a muzzle break to tame muzzle rise.

So, I don't have to replace the gas block for the apex to fit ?  Thought I'd have to get a low profile gas block for any free float tube.

Jose   you posed a question of getting an adj gas block for adjusting the gas pressure not fitment .....so if your gas block wont fit under the new handguard then you would need a new gas block...and to keep things simple, then you would use a non adjustable gas block (low profile)  :) Wash

Thanks for the advice.  I'm so glad I got the 308, the day I ordered my rifle I was 99% sure about getting a 6.8. Mainly because I never shot a 308 before but the guys at work said go for ammo availability. I will probably get into reloading, (saving my brass) because of cost of hunting ammo ($19/box 20rnds).

Again thanks everyone, the info on this site is amazing..  After I get more into shooting, I'll be able to justify a custom build, that way I'd have a backup rifle when I go hunting.  :)

Leave the rifle alone! Before spending money on a bunch of mods, spend your money on ammo and go practice, practice, practice. Learn good breathing and trigger techniques. Annotate your target with date, range, conditions, ammo type, etc. and keep your targets. Note your progress. When your rifle is fully broken in and you're familiar with it and its characteristics and have good markmanship techniques, then begin thoughts of modifications. Equipment cannot make up for poor technique.

Just my $0.02 worth

Leave the rifle alone! Before spending money on a bunch of mods, spend your money on ammo and go practice, practice, practice. Learn good breathing and trigger techniques. Annotate your target with date, range, conditions, ammo type, etc. and keep your targets. Note your progress. When your rifle is fully broken in and you're familiar with it and its characteristics and have good markmanship techniques, then begin thoughts of modifications. Equipment cannot make up for poor technique.

Just my $0.02 worth

Great advice, as for ammo cost look online for decent bulk ammo, I like SGAmmo.com but there are a lot of other places out there too. Practice with somthing cheaper then when hunting season comes around grab your 20$ box of winchester hunting ammo and dial your gun in for shooting that again, normally only takes a few rounds. Edited by shepp

Finally got to the range today, one full week after purchasing my AR-10 from a gun show in the Atlanta area.  I think it is the 10B model because it came with 2 steel (M14?) magazines.  Also picked up 500 rds of PMC ammo for familiarization and sighting in work.  So far I am very happy with my choice to go with the "bigger" AR platform.  Took about 5 rds to get into the X with iron sights at 150 yards.  Very consistent, even though I have read that the lesser expensive ammo does not shoot as well.  I had no problem once dialed in.  I had been looking at the AR-15/M-4 platform for a while but there are so many out there, and I like the old school look.  The carry handle and front sight are removable, and I had also picked up a decent red dot while at the show as well.  It performed ok.  I actually shot better with the open sights.  After about 75 rounds my 1 hour was up.  I will look forward to visiting this site for info and future ideas.  Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the AR-10 world Deltamech. Sounds like you've done good. More than likely, those "M14" mags are the Armalite steel mags. The "newer" Armalite proprietary mag design. Those mags ROCK! At least with all of my 10's.

Now, if those are the DPMS style steel mags, or god forgive if they're the RRA (FAL type)..............then the 3 or 4 of us Armalite guys will have to make fun of you (only cause there's so few of us at this point). <laughs>

Welcome aboard.........open your wallet now.